An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chaput: Examine Abortion Stances

cmotherofpirl

Perhaps you can find me an article like this telling those who don't support minmum wage that they cannot recieve communion.

[url="http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0514-09.htm"]http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0514-09.htm[/url]

The bishop of Colorado's second-largest Roman Catholic diocese has issued a pastoral letter saying Catholics cannot receive Communion if they vote for politicians who support abortion rights, stem-cell research, euthanasia or gay marriage.

I am sure you are watching. Evidently you want to rant about how you are mistreated rather than provide supporting evidence of which so far you have given us hand waving and apparently hoped that noone would check out your accusations against chaput.

Edited by thessalonian

I went to Chaput's site.
Sigh.
Let’s go to Archbishop Chaput’s website.
Click on “Archbishop’s Writings and Discourses”, “Newspaper Columns”
In mass media and courts, some religions less equal than others
The Foals Promise of Window Legilsation (sex abuse)
Dynamic Speakers to make Respect Life month time of nourishment, zea
Musharraf must look in mirror
Colorado state marriage Amendment 43 urgently needs your support (marriage)
The ‘Year of the Catholic School’: a chance to reflect on the meaning of education
Defending the rights, beliefs and resources of Colorado Catholics can be a hard struggle (sex abuse)
Latinos are natural allies of the US and a natural force for renwing
In Christian-Muslim relations, peace not served by ignoring history
Prayer for peace in the Middle East crucial as new violence erupts
How we act on public policy will shape Colorado’s future (immigrants and marriage)
The future of marriage and family life depnds on us acting now (marriage and LATE TERM ABORTION)
As Catholics, we can draw some key lessons from 2006 Assembly session (sex abuse)
HB1090 made worse by Senate actions (sex abuse)
Permanent deacons offer unique witness to laity, priests and bishops
Easter: the great feast of hope
Catholic voice critical on immigration reform, statute of limitations bills
The task remaining: Amend house Bill 1090 and oppose Senate Bill 143 (sex abuse)
God remakes the world through our living witness of faith
‘BodyWorlds 2’ a reiminder for lent that Chistianity is incrnational
Senate Bill 143: Sorting through the evasions (sex abuse)
HB 1088, HB 1090, SB 143 bills are bad public policy, bad laws (sex abuse)
A look at language – and marriage.
PASTORAL LETTERS
Your Youth is Renewed Like the Eagle’s
Evangelization: Good News of Great Joy
Of Human Life (marriage)
Penance: River of Mercy
The Priesthood: As Christ Loved the Church
OFFICIAL STATEMENTS
Archbiship Chaput comments on appointment of Cardinal Ratzinger as Pope
A.C. reflects on the passing of the late Pope John Pall II
The death of Terri Schiavo
4 more then:
Partial-birth abortion (Nov. 5, 2003)
And many more.
ADDRESSES
10 in 2005 and 2006. Not one addressing abortion.
Do I need to do the same for each of the Bishops? (I went to all of their sites already. One had an article)

Again. I am talking specifically regarding what these Bishops, Archbiship, and Confrence have or have not said regarding the upcoming elections and the choice between these two Catholics.
It's not that they don't speak about political issues as you can see from the topics.

Edit to add:
Go to the Social Issues link. You will get 4 articles, none of which address how to evaluate a candidates position on abortion when voting.

EDIT TO ADD:
Now, let’s go to the Colorado Catholic Confrence for a list of their topics:

Vote!
Colorado State Marriage Amendment 43 Urgently Needs Your Support
Colorado bishops support Amendment 42: An increase in Colorado’s Minimum Wage
Amendment 43 and Referendum 1 (on marriage)
Amendment 43 – Vote YES to Portect Marriage
Link:www.cofamily (on marriage)
Link: www.marriageforcolorado
Refendum 1 – Vote NO to Protect Marriage
Finally:
MORAL PINCIPLES FOR CATHOLIC VOTERS
Catholic Confernce Urges Participation in the Election Process
LINK to radio ad about ‘Family Values and Traditional Marriage’
Catholic Conference Press Release on Ballot Signatures
Colorado Bishos Call for Greater Understanding of Migrant Issues.

Edited by Anomaly

Double sigh. :blink:

Ah yes, the damning evidence that Chaput is soft on abortion and that Minimum Wage is a more compelling issue for him. He hasn't written an article lately with the wording you would like to see on the subject. The kind of rational and investigation that brings about writings such as "Hitler's Pope" and "The Da Vinci Code". Well done Anomoly! Oh such wisdom Anom. Should we wonder where the phrase "brood of vipers" comes from?

Once again show me where it says that voting against the minimum wage is an excommunicable offense. Show me where he excludes one from the Eucharist who does not vote in favor of a minimum wage. You have nothing but some handwaving about what you think he should be writing. But then your not in his shoes. :wacko: As EM says Chaput is a solid bishop especially against abortion and you are bearing false witness against him. But then that is what anti-catholics do. That commandment means little.

Edited by thessalonian

I guess these Sept 2006 statements don't count for anything with you.

“When people claim they’re Catholic but do nothing in the public square to advance the Christian understanding of each human person’s dignity, they’re deceiving themselves and other people -- but they’re not fooling God,” the archbishop said, naming areas of concern to Catholics, such as embryonic stem-cell research, abortion, assisted suicide, marriage, immigration, poverty and the disabled.

“We need to drill it into our heads that defending the sanctity of the human person and serving the common good can’t be separated,” he said. “Stuffing our Catholic faith in a closet when we enter the public square or join a public debate isn’t good manners, and it isn’t political courtesy. It’s cowardice. And we’ll be judged for that cowardice by the God who created us.”

Chaput has said so much on abortion that anyone who mistakes his view is pretty dense. Anyone who accuses him of being soft on abortion is a liar.

Edited by thessalonian

Funny how you never went to the Respect Life link.

[url="http://www.archden.org/archbishop-s-biography/respect-life-3.html"]http://www.archden.org/archbishop-s-biogra...ect-life-3.html[/url]

Does he always need to keep posting new articles or do you suppose that he means for the older articles to be valide as long as they are on his website.

[url="http://www.archden.org/archbishop-s-biography/respect-life-3.html"]http://www.archden.org/archbishop-s-biogra...ect-life-3.html[/url]

How many articles does he have to have to explain the Churches position? I find it funny how you complain about him not having recent articles and don't let me use statements as new as september as an arguement against you, yet many of the articles you posted are several years old. Yes, your posts are of the nature of "The Davinci Code" and Hitler's Pope. Your accusing the wrong bishop here. His position in his diocese and outside it is clear! You bear false witness.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1101637' date='Oct 26 2006, 02:54 PM']
That's odd. I did a search for documents with the word "abortion" and "excommunication" in them and got 862. I did a search for "minimum wage" and excommunication in them and got a goose egg. That kind of refutes your statistics dude.
[/quote]

These searches were on the Denver Archdiocese website so I am not sure how that is irrelevant?

Was the search I did on the Archdiocese website regarding abortoin and minimum wage irrelevant?

I went to the archdiocse of denver site and got over 18 pages of hits (618) for abortion. 2 for minmimum wage (15 hits). But of course this won't change your stance. Your wrong. That's all there is to it.

You said above that minmum wage was MORE (your emphasis) important to Bishop Chaput.

By the way, I found recent statements regarding voting and abortion BY ALL THREE BISHOPS on the Colorado Coalition website that you said has nothing on abortion. One in September. But I am twisting and that's irrelevant I guess.

[url="http://www.cocatholicconference.org/content/view/51/1/"]http://www.cocatholicconference.org/content/view/51/1/[/url]

Thess,
I guess you have anger issues and a noticible lack reading comprehension skills.
Your reference above is what was cited in CMom's original post and was again referenced in my post when I listed what documents I found at the sites. In fact, I used ALL CAPITOL LETTERS, to make it stand out.

I'll type slowly.
My chiding is that the Bishops, Council, and Archbishop have given more ink and time to legilslative issues concerning sex abuse, marriage, and minimum wage than to abortion when the election is just a few weeks away.

I sent you a PM yesterday and said I'd let you get the last posts in and let it drop because I got tired of trying to correct your misperception of what I said. But you just can't just be happy to have the last word, can you? I think he doth protesteth too much.

More rudeness which you chided mre for yesterday. Insults today. How nice.

I stopped PMing you after you said to end it yesterday as you asked and you sent two or three more pm's afterward so let's not act like you were trying to end things. I believe I can post what I like on the board without your approval. Once again I am not angry in the slightest. But read in to my posts what you like.

Edited by thessalonian

Whatever.
Smile. It's a lovely day outside and God loves you.

Edited by Anomaly