An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Myth Of The Spanish Inquisition

Katholikos

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1103180' date='Oct 28 2006, 12:44 PM']
So do you consider the Inquisition and its related acts to be SINS?

{some on here dont, I still remember the 76% vote FOR THE inquisition}
[/quote]
I'm certain that some sins were committed, but I don't know that I would make such sweeping generalizations.

Ill make this easy for you.

When they burned people at the stake was it a sin?

When they tortured people was it a sin?

Yes or No? to both.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1103200' date='Oct 28 2006, 12:58 PM']
Ill make this easy for you.

When they burned people at the stake was it a sin?

When they tortured people was it a sin?

Yes or No? to both.
[/quote]

You're still overgeneralizing. Capital punishment is not intrinsically immoral, so it would depend on the crimes. As for torture, I would say that the things they did were demeaning to the human person and I would consider them all together immoral, but I do not speak with the authority of the Church.

Budge,

The trial you describe in the supposed Torquemada article violates the inquisitional procedure, which required witnesses, required that they not be enemies (in some years, cases with a known enemy of the accused were dismissed immediately.) So if TQ did do this, he violated the rules.

Honestly, Budge, could you try to approach honesty? You're in OJ land, here.

Justified Saint

[quote name='Budge' post='1103145' date='Oct 28 2006, 09:02 AM']
Do you seriously think God is going to cut a break on the fact it may have been 2,000, instead of 200,000 or 2 million?
[/quote]

If you can't tell the difference between 2,000 and 2 million then I would say you are the one playing the numbers game.

[quote]Capital punishment is not intrinsically immoral, so it would depend on the crimes. As for torture, I would say that the things they did were demeaning to the human person and I would consider them all together immoral, but I do not speak with the authority of the Church.[/quote]

Do you believe captial punishment based on religious beliefs [ie no violent crime etc] is warranted?

Is that immoral?

Calling torture demeaning to a human person is a bit of an understatement, being tripped in the hallway at high school by the bully or whistled at by a construction worker in the street is demeaning, being put on the rack and pernamentaly disabled, is something entirely different.

no demeaning has kept the same meaning.

Humilitation is a different thing then having your hip and arm sockets ripped apart.

So you're switching to humiliation, now?

To be demeaned is a terrible sin against the dignity of man. I put forth that there can be degrees. You are treading with lead weights around your ankles.

Terribly sorry, but to repeat and clarify, I have put forth that demean has been devalued. It has the same definition, but that definition is not considered severe enough by you to cover the idea that religion can be as important as other facets of life to particular societies. Devalue is a change, certainly, but in this case, it is more a change in perception.

None of that made any sense.

Try and be serious instead of joking around, diverting and wasting space.

Do you believe torture is evil or not?

yes or no...

The Spanish Inquisition was not a myth. It was a tool used by the Spanish government, sanctioned by the Pope. It is widely believed that the sanction came under political pressure, but it was sanctioned nonetheless. The Spanish Inqusition did commit atrocities. The pope did ask the inquistion be stopped, and the rulers of Spain refused to do so. The inquisition goes hand in hand with the expulsion of all Jews from Spain in 1492 and the later expulsion of all moriscos. If you want to argue about how ruthless the inquisition was, or who was really behind it, then fine. But you can't say that the whole thing is a Protestant lie.

No one has posited that the Spanish Inquisition was a myth. They posit that there is a myth about the Spanish Inquisition.

It made perfect sense. You may not have understood it. Sorry.

Torture is not a monolith. Is solitary confinement torture?

[quote name='Winchester' post='1103724' date='Oct 28 2006, 11:22 PM']
No one has posited that the Spanish Inquisition was a myth. They posit that there is a myth about the Spanish Inquisition.
It made perfect sense. You may not have understood it. Sorry.

Torture is not a monolith. Is solitary confinement torture?
[/quote]

I never used the word torture, I used the word atrocities. However, as a Medieval Historian, I happen to know that most inquisitorial courts during the middle ages were very careful about defining torture for themselves. There are some extant manuscripts you can look at if you want to get an idea of the "rules" of medieval inquisitions. Bernard Gui's inquisitorial manual is one good example. I can provide others, but I'd have to go through some of my notes.

[quote name='KizlarAgha'] The Spanish Inquisition was not a myth. It was a tool used by the Spanish government, sanctioned by the Pope. [/quote]

I am not questioning that His Holiness did sanction the Inquisition(s), but could you provide for me the document in which he did so?