An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Myth Of The Spanish Inquisition

Katholikos

[b]THE MYTH OF THE SPANISH INQUISITION[/b]

The Black Legends of the Spanish Inquisition, used by Protestants for 400 years to vilify Spain and the Catholic Church, have no basis in fact.

This is the conclusion of the British Broadcasting Company (BBC), which produced a recent documentary for “education and training” entitled, [b][i]The Myth of the Spanish Inquisition[/i][/b]. The Legends are based on a “falsehood disseminated 400 years ago and repeated ever since,” according to the documentary. The video opens with a scene from Monty Python. The narrator says, “Long before Monty Python’s caricature, history had reached its verdict. The Spanish Inquisition is infamous. Four centuries of condemnation have made the Spanish Inquisition a byword for cruelty, terror, and tyranny. But this image is false.”

The Inquisition was operational for 350 years, but was most active in Spain between 1480 and 1510. The Protestant revolt began in 1517. Protestants began a propaganda campaign against Spain and the Catholic Church, using the newly invented printing press as their weapon. These Protestants began producing and disseminating myths that became known as the Black Legends, calling the Spaniards rapists and sodomizers of young boys, among other outrageous accusations.. “But in 1567 all the myths came together in the publication of one document --:

[b][i]A Discovery and plain Declaration of Sundry and Subtill Practices of the Holy Inquisition of Spain[/i][/b].”

The author/s masqueraded as a Protestant victim of the Spanish Inquisition and used the pseudonym of Montanus. In this fraudulent document, the Inquisition was described as “a court without allegiance to any earthly authority, a bench of monks without appeal. There is nothing else in the world to go beyond them in their most devilish examples of tyranny. Indeed, they do so far exceed all barbarousness a man cannot aptly but liken them to that which they most closely resemble and from which they proceed: their sire, Satan himself.” There were allegations of the horrors of torture chambers, including use of the infamous “Iron Maiden.” (This device was a German invention and never crossed the borders of Spain.)

In truth, the Inquisiiton used torture less than other tribunals. In England, you could be executed for damaging shrubs in public gardens. But the inquisitors were bound by strict rules. Living conditions, inhumane treatment, and torture were all falsified. "Compared to other tribunals in Europe, the Inquisition was almost enlightened," the BBC says.

The Inquisition kept copious and meticulous records of its activities. The Vatican opened the archives of the Inquisition to scholars in 1998. It was already known to professional historians from records available in Europe that the Inquisition as viewed in the popular culture was a myth. Now they have the actual records at their disposal.

Fewer died for heresy in Spain than in any other country. In 350 years, 3,000-5,000 people were victims of the Spanish Inquisition. In the rest of Europe during the same period, 150,000 “witches” were burned for heresy alone by secular tribunals, and many more were burned for other “crimes.”

The Black Legends of the Spanish Inquisition are bull-oney.

One scholar among many who has revised his history of the Inquisition as a result of studying the archives is British historian Henry Kaman, a Jew. Kaman says on another video entitled [i][b]Inquisition [/b][/i] which aired on the History Channel, “The Catholic Church has nothing to be ashamed of.”

Inquisitors were university lawyers, who demanded facts and evidence for the conviction of anyone, setting the model for modern jurisprudence.

I found this article online, which will reinforce the information on this thread.

[url="http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/madden200406181026.asp"]http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/madden200406181026.asp[/url]

References:
Video: The Myth of the Spanish Inquisition, BBC
[i]The Spanish Inquisition, A Historical Revision[/i], Henry Kaman, Yale University Press, 1998

I apologize for the length of the thread, but it was necessary to cover the salient facts.

Protestants were in favor of death for heresy as well. Look up the story of the Geneva Inquisition. It wasn't Catholic and John Calvin wanted to be merciful to the universalist Servetus and behead him rather than burn him. But hotter heads prevailed. Foxes book of Martyrs proclaims Catholic persecutions of Protestants by the GOVERNMENT but he never mentions the preferred method of protestant "Good Queen Bess" Elizabeth, who preferred the method of ripping the bowels out of Catholics while they were still alive. Foxe knew Elizabeth quite well, yet decried persecutions by Catholics and ignored hers along with some of the "victims" of the Catholic persecutions who were involved in persecutions themselves. The story is definitley clouded by Protestant folklore about the events. I've had protestants tell me that 150 million people were killed by the Church. How gullible can you be. They would have had to kill almost the entire population in the time frame discussed.

Were their wrongs committed? I am sure there were but not near to the extend claimed.

Another balanced view on this by a Protestant writer is "Salvation at Stake" by Brad Gregory. It looks at both the Catholic and protestant side.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Stake-Christian-Martyrdom-Historical/dp/0674007042"]http://www.amazon.com/Salvation-Stake-Chri...l/dp/0674007042[/url]

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

The most galling fact of all these Black Legends is that they began as the deliberate and malicious lies of Protestants, and they have been repeated over and over again as "truth" for centuries by other Protestants and used to beat up Catholics and the Catholic Church. They use their own lies about us to accuse us of wrongdoing. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Praise Him and exalt him forever in His One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church!

------------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1099806' date='Oct 24 2006, 09:53 AM']
I've had protestants tell me that 150 million people were killed by the Church. How gullible can you be. They would have had to kill almost the entire population in the time frame discussed.[/quote]
Not only is that amount close to the population size as a whole, but, given that you have to take into account the necessary restraint in order to arrest a man and get a man to the place where he would die, there would have to be quite a force on the Catholic side. I mean, think about it...150 million people...how many soldiers would you need to crush such an uprising? Do they think the European population was 300 million at the time?

K,
Did you ever read "Characters of the Inquisition"? It's a pretty good book, details the lives of a few inquisitors.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1099838' date='Oct 24 2006, 09:03 AM']
Not only is that amount close to the population size as a whole, but, given that you have to take into account the necessary restraint in order to arrest a man and get a man to the place where he would die, there would have to be quite a force on the Catholic side. I mean, think about it...150 million people...how many soldiers would you need to crush such an uprising? Do they think the European population was 300 million at the time?
[/quote]Think of the difficulty the Germans had in killing their millions with modern technology.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1100692' date='Oct 25 2006, 08:25 AM']
K,
Did you ever read "Characters of the Inquisition"? It's a pretty good book, details the lives of a few inquisitors.
[/quote]Hi, W. I used the BBC -- known to be anti-Catholic -- as my source for this thread 'cause I figured it would be more readily accepted by Protestants. But I really like Walsh's book, written in 1940 long before the Spanish Inquisition archives were assembled in one place and opened to scholars. The truth about the Inquisitions has long been known to historians, but the average joe and jane still believe the myths.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1100899' date='Oct 25 2006, 03:14 PM']
Where's Budge?
[/quote]
Budge probably won't respond to this...she's allergic to facts.

Justified Saint

The amount of executions in the first few decades of the Spanish Inquisition, its most active period, is not as easily calculated since the record is not as complete. However, if there ever was a reign of terror it was certainly then and it is likely that about the same amount of people were executed over those few decades as would be in the next 300 years.

In any case, the Spanish Inquisition certainly was a myth created by Protestants and later maintained by the "rationalists" of the age. Its sheer size, uniformity, and longevity made it an easy target.

Ok, this is good and all, that its not so bad as made out to be, but...

3000-5000 people is still a lot. In terms of killing, 1 person is more than it should be. Aren't we against capital punishment? The fifth commandment: "You shall not kill"?

Someone help me out on this one please...

~Katie

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Romans1513' post='1102155' date='Oct 27 2006, 01:46 AM']
Ok, this is good and all, that its not so bad as made out to be, but...

3000-5000 people is still a lot. In terms of killing, 1 person is more than it should be. Aren't we against capital punishment? The fifth commandment: "You shall not kill"?

Someone help me out on this one please...

~Katie
[/quote]
Several different points in your question:
3000-5000 is a lot compared to what?
The commandment is better translated "Thou shall not murder", which is not the same as capital punishment. Capital punishment cannot be condemned - it is part of natural law and the state's legitimate right, today the church asks it should be rare.
It is also wrong to look at the past thru the lenses of todays culture, and decide they were barbaric and we are not.