An Old School Catholic Message Board

Singapore

catholicinsd

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1100663' date='Oct 25 2006, 02:53 AM']
Gum is not the point, injustice is the point.

If preaching the truth of Christ' Church is illegal, why preach it?
[/quote]DOH.
Because the moral implications between owning gum and preaching Christianity don't even compare. Because for you Catholics, the Catechism explains the moral order. You are morally obliged to obey Civil Athorities unless a GREATER moral principle requires you to do otherwise. What moral principle is violated by obeying the law to not own or chew gum? What moral principle is violated by obeying the law to not teach or witness about coming to know God?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1100684' date='Oct 25 2006, 06:48 AM']
DOH.
Because the moral implications between owning gum and preaching Christianity don't even compare. Because for you Catholics, the Catechism explains the moral order. You are morally obliged to obey Civil Athorities unless a GREATER moral principle requires you to do otherwise. What moral principle is violated by obeying the law to not own or chew gum? What moral principle is violated by obeying the law to not teach or witness about coming to know God?
[/quote]

Again it is not about the gum but the injustice in Singapore and lack of liberty. And I was not comparing the two as if they were equals. Being caned for not paying a fine is an injustice. Being put in prison for preaching Christ is a greater injustice.

The moral principle that is violated is the will of God, which Christ gave us...

"Go therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

homeschoolmom

Is it the caning or the punishing that's bugging you? If someone were put in jail for 30 days for not paying their "gum fine" would that be okay with you?

KnightofChrist

it would be better... Caning someone sounds so "old testament", why not just cut off a theifs hand if your going to be caning people.

wah, wah, wah. They cane people and it's no secret. It's also meant as a deterrent. There is no correlation between caning for gum and caning for preaching. Get off it. Of course there are limits on liberty, otherwise there is anarchy. And people have to qualify the exercise of their personal liberties with the rights of the general public as well. We live in a society, not as a bunch of individuals with only ourselves to think about.
Your example for caning for breaking a civil law and not being able to pay a $500 fine is pointless. Caning must not be that bad that you wouldn't or couldn't pay $500 to avoid it. Bad things happen to stupid and irresponsible people. It's the way of the world.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1100774' date='Oct 25 2006, 10:24 AM']
it would be better... Caning someone sounds so "old testament", why not just cut off a theifs hand if your going to be caning people.
[/quote]

If it really was that bad and that oppressive people wouldn't live there. The singaporese (sorry i don't know what to call them :) ) people would revolt. I am not saying that caning people is right i am just asking that this be looked at logically. The people of a land can only withstand injustice for so long and then they revolt. There has been no unrest, no revolts, no coups. People actually [u]move there[/u]. Companies [u]move there[/u]. If it was struggling and there was signs of unrest, i don't believe they would do this. We were just talking about this in my Supreme Court class because we were talking about how America has very little morals and ethics anymore and one of the reasons why this is is becuase there are very few consequences or shame brought upon people when they do bad things in the US. Obviously this is not the case in Singapore. That is why it was brought up. Now.....is Singapore doing things right.....I don't know.....but we are not either. So who's to say who's right or wrong?

[quote]Well you do not have to believe, but you also do not have to be rude, leave the jokes for the lame room.[/quote]

The ironic post award goes to...

[quote]The OC government of Singapore has unjustly killed so many people, I seriously think the UN should look into it.[/quote]

[quote name='Winchester' post='1101337' date='Oct 25 2006, 11:08 PM']
I'm still trying to work up some tears for a heroin trafficker...wait, hang on...nope.
[/quote]

So far we have a heroin trafficker being hung, and an anonymous person caned for being unable to pay a fine for possesion of gum in a country where it is well known that gum is illegal.

Where's the problem?

homeschoolmom
:idontknow:

some people go around looking for things to be upset about.

Don't forget Michael Fay. He doesn't get any tears from me, either, though.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1101383' date='Oct 26 2006, 07:36 AM']

Don't forget Michael Fay. He doesn't get any tears from me, either, though.
[/quote]
Oh yeah, Mike Fay. He became a butane inhaler and caught himself on fire.

homeschoolmom

Yeah, that's what I read. i'm sure it's all due to his caning.

Or the fact that he was a deliquent before and after the caning.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1101337' date='Oct 26 2006, 01:08 AM']
I'm still trying to work up some tears for a heroin trafficker...wait, hang on...nope.
[/quote]

Well, let's hope you don't every get in trouble for someone else's crime in Singapore.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1101383' date='Oct 26 2006, 08:36 AM']

[/quote]

That is better than the conservative false blissful ignorance.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1101965' date='Oct 26 2006, 07:34 PM']
Well, let's hope you don't every get in trouble for someone else's crime in Singapore.
[/quote]

?????

So you are saying he didn't do it and was falsely accused???????? He was just walking around minding his own business when the authorities just picked him out at random because they needed to have someone to arrest because they couldn't arrest the real culprit?? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: