An Old School Catholic Message Board

Singapore

catholicinsd

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1099729' date='Oct 24 2006, 01:11 AM']
I only have the word of a classmate from years ago, who use to live in there. Gum came up in a conversation we all were having and he told us of someone he knew there that got caught with a pack of gum, was unable to pay the fine, and was caned.

There is no longer proof that their canining method works, that edivdince or the lack there of is now hidden. But even it did lower crime, so would shooting anyone that broke the law.

All people have the right to Liberty, and the people of Singapore are being denined that right.
Also, in the talk we had that day there was also a classmate from Jamica (least I believe it was jamica) who told us a story of his friend who one day stole some type of melon, was arrested tried and sentence. Death by hanging but not before they cut off his arms and legs. Seems he had stolen food and other things before... so the punishment "had to be" harsh.

But hey, let them govern their little nation, if the people cant get use to that they can just move someplace else.
[/quote]I know the cousin of a brother-in-law of a guy who was the roomate of this girl's brother who knew this travel agent that sold tickets to Sea World to this family that lived next door to this guy who was in Singapore.... They said they never heard of anyone being caned for stealing Juicey Fruit... :shock:

And how did you get 'shooting' to relate to 'caning' . Jail time is wrong too if you incarcerate people. You might as well lock them up in a box car with no water.

Edited by Anomaly

KnightofChrist

Well you do not have to believe, but you also do not have to be rude, leave the jokes for the lame room. My classmate was a very very serious person, in fact the two years I knew him, I never remember him laughing at anytime, anyhow I have no reason to believe he would lie about such a thing.

The level of pain caning causes, and the level of pain be shot causes, is very much the same.

I do hope a Singaporese reads this thread somehow, so those mentals know just how stupid they look in the eyes of the free world. The Goverment of Singapore is carp.

Rest in Peace, Van Nguyen.

Edited by catholicinsd

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1100075' date='Oct 24 2006, 02:41 PM']
could you give us more information about this Van Nguyen?
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Nguyen"]He[/url] was most famous victim of Singapore's OCD.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1099729' date='Oct 24 2006, 02:11 AM']
There is no longer proof that their canining method works, that edivdince or the lack there of is now hidden. But even it did lower crime, so would shooting anyone that broke the law.

All people have the right to Liberty, and the people of Singapore are being denined that right.
[/quote]

I could easily turn around your statement about the efficacy of caning to apply to our system of incarceration, it really shows nothing.

Define liberty. Corporal punishment is legitimate and no more a denial of liberty than capital punishment or incarceration. Just because the American understanding of liberty might include the "right" to chew gum doesn't mean it has to be foisted on the Singaporese.

[quote]Van Nguyen, a faithful Catholic, was taken away from us, becuase the Singaporese government is such a failure.[/quote]

And Van Nguyen was convicted of drug trafficking, come now, every person executed is not worthy of veneration. Failure? I'd say they enforce their laws pretty well...

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1099704' date='Oct 24 2006, 12:57 AM']
Van Nguyen, a faithful Catholic, was taken away from us, becuase the Singaporese government is such a failure.
[/quote]

Is this the guy you are talking about?

[url="http://www.abc.net.au/news/indepth/featureitems/s1520853.htm"]http://www.abc.net.au/news/indepth/featureitems/s1520853.htm[/url]

If so, how is it the Singaporese government's failure that he was a drug courier?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Niccolò' post='1100538' date='Oct 24 2006, 09:35 PM']
I could easily turn around your statement about the efficacy of caning to apply to our system of incarceration, it really shows nothing. [/quote]

Our system of incarceration has nothing to do with of the efficacy of caning. The statement was made that caning lowers crime or works for "them", something like that. I was only pointing out that can not be proven because that edivindince is hidden to the public.

[quote name='Niccolò' post='1100538' date='Oct 24 2006, 09:35 PM']
Define liberty. Corporal punishment is legitimate and no more a denial of liberty than capital punishment or incarceration. Just because the American understanding of liberty might include the "right" to chew gum doesn't mean it has to be foisted on the Singaporese.[/quote]

Is truth or liberty realitive? Is one mans right another mans crime? You have no care that a man who is "caught" with a pack of gum, cannot paid the 500 dollar fine, is then caned? Is that ok to you because thats just some poor singaporese, because his understanding of "liberty" is not yours, he does not have the same God given rights as you do? His are different than yours?

KnightofChrist

Being caned, having your skin split and broke open by a piece of wood multiple times for not being able to pay a fine for chewing gum is an injustice. Why do some fail to see that. Also, living if fear of getting prison time for upsetting the racial and religious harmony, because you tell someone that is not catholic the catholic church is the one and only true church is also an injustice.

But hey I guess I'm just a crazy American that actally believes Liberty is not relative and God given rights are given to all by God, even if a unjust goverment sees or respects that or not.

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1100662' date='Oct 25 2006, 02:49 AM']
If gum is illegal, why even posses it?
[/quote]

Gum is not the point, injustice is the point.

If preaching the truth of Christ' Church is illegal, why preach it?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1100663' date='Oct 25 2006, 01:53 AM']
Gum is not the point, injustice is the point.

If preaching the truth of Christ' Church is illegal, why preach it?
[/quote]

Apples and oranges...

A ban on possesion of gum is not unjust. It is known in Singapore that possesion of gum is illegal. If one chooses to posses gum, knowing full well the consenquenses of his actions, a fine of $500 is perfectly just. If one knows he is unable to pay the fine, maybe he shouldn't possess gum.

A ban on preaching the truth of Christ's Church would be unjust.