An Old School Catholic Message Board

Singapore

catholicinsd

homeschoolmom

Why should we tell them how to run things? Looks like they have things pretty well under control without our input.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1098811' date='Oct 23 2006, 12:37 AM']
Anyone else agree?
[/quote]

Hmm, caning sounds like a good idea actually. From Wikipedia:

[quote]Crimes which may result in caning

The list of crimes that may result in caning has increased steadily, as has the number of sentences handed out. In 1987, Singapore caned only 602 men and boys, but by 1993 the number had increased to 3244. Current figures are no longer published, but the total can safely be assumed to be higher yet as it is known that in 2004, 11,790 arrests were made for illegal immigration alone, a charge which carries a mandatory three-stroke minimum for males. [1]

* Misuse of drugs: three to six strokes. Repeat offenders: six to twelve strokes
* Illegal entry into Singapore: At least three strokes
* Unlawful overstay in Singapore for over ninety days: At least three strokes
* Unlawful possession or conveyance of any arms or ammunition: At least six strokes
* Offences relating to scheduled weapons: At least six strokes
* Trafficking in arms: At least six strokes
* Exhibiting imitation arms when committing scheduled offence: At least three strokes
* Outrage of modesty
* Rape: At least twelve strokes
* Aggravated disciplinary offences in an Armed Forces barracks: Up to twelve strokes
* Carrying, etc., offensive weapons, explosive, corrosive or inflammable substances in a proclaimed area
* Vandalism: three to eight strokes
* Piracy (robbery committed at sea): At least twelve strokes (Note: The unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material and software piracy is not punishable by caning)
* Hijacking
* Rioting
* Culpable homicide not amounting to murder
* Attempt to murder
* Sodomy
* Voluntarily causing hurt
* Voluntarily causing grievous hurt
* Assault or use of criminal force to a person with intent to outrage modesty
* Assault or criminal force in committing or attempting to commit theft of property carried by a person
* Kidnapping
* Theft after preparation made for causing death or hurt in order to commit theft: At least three strokes
* Extortion
* Robbery: At least six strokes. If committed after 7 p.m. and before 7 a.m: At least twelve strokes
* Robbery when armed or with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt: At least twelve strokes
* Attempt to commit robbery: At least six strokes.
* Voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery: At least twelve strokes
* Gang-robbery: At least twelve strokes
* Belonging to gang-robbers: At least six strokes
* Belonging to wandering gang of thieves: At least four strokes
* Assembling for purpose of committing gang-robbery: At least four strokes
* Dealing with explosives
* Dealing with dangerous fireworks: Up to six strokes
* Using a corrosive or explosive substance or offensive weapon: At least six strokes
* Males engaging in prostitution trading activities
* Obstructing engine or carriages or endangering safety of passengers[/quote]

The article also mentions that women aren't subject to this punishment. I don't see a problem with their system...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Niccolò' post='1098818' date='Oct 22 2006, 11:44 PM']
Hmm, caning sounds like a good idea actually. From Wikipedia:
The article also mentions that women aren't subject to this punishment. I don't see a problem with their system...
[/quote]

Sure you dont see a problem, untill your the one having your #*% canned because you had a piece of gum in your pocket and couldnt pay the 500 dollar fine.

The Phatmass Phorms would also be banned in Singapore, posting something that said "The Catholic Church is the only True Church" would break the "racial and religious harmony" in Singapore and get you prison time.

Also getting together with more than 5 of your friends in public is illegal, or having a family reunion in the park is illegal and you will be arrested for both.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1098863' date='Oct 23 2006, 03:56 AM']
Sure you dont see a problem, untill your the one having your #*% canned because you had a piece of gum in your pocket and couldnt pay the 500 dollar fine.

The Phatmass Phorms would also be banned in Singapore, posting something that said "The Catholic Church is the only True Church" would break the "racial and religious harmony" in Singapore and get you prison time.

Also getting together with more than 5 of your friends in public is illegal, or having a family reunion in the park is illegal and you will be arrested for both.
[/quote]Yeah. People think jail is okay until they get incarcerated.
From the list above, it looks like the crime has to be pretty serious to get caned. I don't see a problem with it at all.
Lot's of Countries don't have the freedom in Speech that the US has and abuses. I doubt that the 'public meeting' restriction is as restricted as you say. People have parties. Even in the US, you often have to get permission to have a large party in most parks.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1098863' date='Oct 23 2006, 04:56 AM']

[/quote]

In addition, one is executed for drug use, or for shooting a gun into the air.

Edited by catholicinsd

homeschoolmom

Why the heck is there a need to fire a gun into the air?

Do you think the people of Singapore are unaware that they live is a strict society? I bet it doesn't really occure to most Singaporese (?) to go around firing guns in the air, peeing in elevators, or chewing gum. You know what? They're used to it. If they don't want to live there, I think they probably have the freedom to leave.

[quote]Also getting together with more than 5 of your friends in public is illegal, or having a family reunion in the park is illegal and you will be arrested for both..[.][/quote]

Are you telling me that resturaunts in Singapore have a maximum of 4 seats at a table?

BTW: In most places in the US, having a family reunion in a park is illegal, if you fail to get the proper permits. If you don't pay the fine, you will be arrested.

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1098811' date='Oct 23 2006, 12:37 AM']
Anyone else agree?
[/quote]

I think their laws fit their culture... and if people don't like it, they can leave. This is one of the things I keep in mind when it comes to voting and local/state politics. If I get to the point where I can't stand how this state or country is run, it's not up to me to tell the people who are happy with it to change, it's up to me to find somewhere else to live where I'll be happier with the government.

My point: I don't think it's up to us to decide what's best for Singapore.

I'm not sure if this is the best example :unsure: but it's all I could come up with to bring the issue a little closer to home...

If a liberal non-Christian told a conservative Catholic to loosen up their household rules because they don't fit THEIR idea of a good upbringing... more than likely the Catholic is not going to heed that advice... and I'm sure the non-Christian wouldn't change their ways if the roles were switched.

Actually, for some of those crimes (like rape) caning is too light. But for others, like first-time non-violent offenses, it could help reduce the prison overcrowding (and condiering that Singapore is a very tightly packed island nation, they may not have the room for prisons).

KnightofChrist

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1099199' date='Oct 23 2006, 03:29 PM']
Are you telling me that resturaunts in Singapore have a maximum of 4 seats at a table?

BTW: In most places in the US, having a family reunion in a park is illegal, if you fail to get the proper permits. If you don't pay the fine, you will be arrested.
[/quote]

No out doors in parks and such, say me and eight of my friends meet at a street corner then walk to the movies will be arrested.

Edited by KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1099147' date='Oct 23 2006, 02:05 PM']
Why the heck is there a need to fire a gun into the air?

Do you think the people of Singapore are unaware that they live is a strict society? I bet it doesn't really occure to most Singaporese (?) to go around firing guns in the air, peeing in elevators, or chewing gum. You know what? They're used to it. If they don't want to live there, I think they probably have the freedom to leave.
[/quote]

Used to it or force to obey in fear? Where are they going to go? How are they going to get there? They cant drive unless the goverment gives them the premission to buy a car. Freedom to leave is not the ablity to leave.

Being put to death for being "accused" and "found guilty" of firing a gun is still wrong, no matter how much the people are use to such a thing.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1098863' date='Oct 23 2006, 04:56 AM']

[/quote]

I've never heard of someone getting caned for having chewing gum, just fined. If you have additional information give me some linkage. Good luck banning an internet forum...anyway, I haven't heard of any breaches of religious liberty in Singapore, except for banning the Jehovah's Witnesses...but seriously, who wouldn't? I'm not trying to defend everything the Singapore government does, but hey, let them govern their own tiny country. Their caning punishment seems to be working.

KnightofChrist

I only have the word of a classmate from years ago, who use to live in there. Gum came up in a conversation we all were having and he told us of someone he knew there that got caught with a pack of gum, was unable to pay the fine, and was caned.

There is no longer proof that their canining method works, that edivdince or the lack there of is now hidden. But even it did lower crime, so would shooting anyone that broke the law.

All people have the right to Liberty, and the people of Singapore are being denined that right.

Also, in the talk we had that day there was also a classmate from Jamica (least I believe it was jamica) who told us a story of his friend who one day stole some type of melon, was arrested tried and sentence. Death by hanging but not before they cut off his arms and legs. Seems he had stolen food and other things before... so the punishment "had to be" harsh.

But hey, let them govern their little nation, if the people cant get use to that they can just move someplace else.