An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guitar's In Mass?

johnnydigit

johnnydigit

[b]
"Proclaim the greatness of his name, loudly sing his praises, With music on the harp and all stringed instruments; sing out with joy as you proclaim:" --Sirach 39:15[/b]

i dunno what it means or doesn't mean, i just came across it.. :rolleyes:

Sometimes our parish has guitars. I like it a little, but I also love the organ music.

aalpha1989

At Mass this week the Lifeteen band played that one song that goes "Even the best fall down sometimes... Even the wrong words seem to rhyme.." etc. etc. "you and I collide" whatever the other words are... anyway that's definitely not liturgical music. definitely pop music. um. hi? this was Mass, the holy sacrifice thing? Not only that, it was during Communion. *sigh*.

i have always had this weird little pipe dream about doing a divinley inspired improvisation (on guitar) if i were to play during church. nice to think of the melodies in my head, lifting, soaring and then to imagine being able to reproduce it perfectly for a group of people, and turn their eyes upwards.

side note, i am learning silent night as we speak

[quote name='ironmonk' post='95121' date='Jan 12 2004, 09:22 PM']Many people state that guitars should not be in a Mass. These people feel that the only instrament should be a pipe organ.

I've have learned something that sheds light on the subject.[list]
[*]By the year 300 AD, vocal music had become part of the Catholic litugy, although instrumental music was forbidden.
[*]The pipe organ was first installed in churches during the seventh century and were very difficult to play. They were kept for congregational singing and never permitted for liturgy.
[/list]Looking at the above two facts, there is nothing wrong with Vat. II allowing different instruments.

Your Servant in Christ,
ironmonk[/quote]

This type of thinking has been used to justify just about every change that has occurred to the Church's worship over the past several decades.

Although it's true the organ was a later introduction, we have to remember it was an instrument introduced into Europe as a sacred instrument to be used in Church. It can't be compared to the use of "common" (and by that I don't mean to belittle any particular instrument or its music) instruments in mass. The reason why this discipline is (or at least was) important is because it helps elevate the mind away from worldly affairs. Many people don't see mass as a gateway into heaven anymore because it's been so trivialized.

It's not just Church music that has been trivialized, but so have things like vestments, architecture, art, translations of liturgy, translations of the bible, prayers, devotions, and the list just goes on and on...

CatherineM

I played guitar on Saturday nights at church for years. I wish I still could because it would be better than what we are trying to piece together with volunteers.

havok579257

I see no problem with using gutairs in church if you are going to allow other instruments. If you refuse to let any instruments in, organ included, then that's one thing.

Although picking and choosing what instruments to let in and what ones to keep out makes no sense. Instruments in and of themselfs are not good or bad. So their is no difference in either one, only personal preference.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1588403' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:08 PM']At Mass this week the Lifeteen band played that one song that goes "Even the best fall down sometimes... Even the wrong words seem to rhyme.." etc. etc. "you and I collide" whatever the other words are... anyway that's definitely not liturgical music. definitely pop music. um. hi? this was Mass, the holy sacrifice thing? Not only that, it was during Communion. *sigh*.[/quote]

Okay, that's a little different right there....yeah, I'd be cringing the entire time :ohno: