An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Da Vinci Code

Guest T-Bone

[code]1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the commandment of God our Saviour, and of Christ Jesus our hope:
2 To Timothy, his beloved son in faith. Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father, and from Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 As I desired thee to remain at Ephesus when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some not to teach otherwise,
4 Not to give heed to fables and endless genealogies: which furnish questions rather than the edification of God, which is in faith. [/code]

The fable about the geneology of Jesus' decendents? The whole comspiracy theory asks more questions than it gives, it does not glorify God, and it damages the faith of some.

Or am I way off base here?

[quote]4 Not to give heed to fables and endless genealogies: which furnish questions rather than the edification of God, which is in faith.

[/quote]

You mean like the apostolic succession charts and ordination trees going back hundreds of years, is that what you mean by endless geneologies?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1096386' date='Oct 19 2006, 10:45 PM']
You mean like the apostolic succession charts and ordination trees going back hundreds of years, is that what you mean by endless geneologies?
[/quote]
Its wonderful to have a direct link to the Apostles and Jesus Christ.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1096386' date='Oct 19 2006, 09:45 PM']
[/quote]

Apostolic succession and endless geneologies are two different things. :)

[quote]Apostolic succession and endless geneologies are two different things. [/quote]

Yeah, ONE you do....that is "good" the other you don't, that is "bad."

Got it.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1096386' date='Oct 19 2006, 07:45 PM']
[/quote]

So you support the Da Vinci Code theory?

You beleive that Christ has decendants. And that there is a secret organization devoted to keeping this secret known amongst a select few.

(I'm only assuming this because you use this thread as a forum to diss the Church.)

cathoholic_anonymous

Eutychus seems confused about what a genealogy is. According to the Oxford English dictionary, it is [i]an account of one's descent from an ancestor or ancestors, by enumeration of the intermediate persons; a pedigree. b. The line of development of an animal or plant from older forms. 2. Lineage, pedigree, family stock. 3. Progeny, offspring. [/i]

As you can see, a genealogy refers to a bloodline. Apostolic succession is nothing to do with a person's blood or 'pedigree'; it isn't a family business.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1096718' date='Oct 20 2006, 10:37 AM']
Are you going to offer some kind of reason behind the correlation you are attempting?
[/quote]

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1096750' date='Oct 20 2006, 11:28 AM']
Yeah, ONE you do....that is "good" the other you don't, that is "bad."

Got it.
[/quote]

Reason?

That would be negative, ghost rider.