An Old School Catholic Message Board

Countdown To New York

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Well, I'm excited to start my first (and hopefully not my last) countdown in Vocation Station. :)

I am one full month away from my first visit with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in the Bronx. I'll fly out of Dallas early on the 16th of November and arrive sometime that afternoon.

I do not feel at ALL prepared! Actually... :hehe: I was talking to some lady friends at a Catholic women's book club meeting tonight (it's a small group) about the trip and about my unpreparedness and we joked about it saying stuff like:

Me: I've got the basics. I've got my rosary, my Liturgy of the Hours, my Bible, my catechism...

J: Yeah! :D: You've got it all.. *naming each on her fingers while imitating me:* I've got my Bible, rosary, and willing, giving, open heart... now I just need to take care of the other stuff...

:sweat:

It's true. I've been so focused on preparing myself spiritually that I haven't even thought of buying a coat or good shoes. I need thicker skirts (so I don't freeze) and long-sleeve shirts. J is knitting me a scarf so I've got that covered and I'll prolly get a hat (beenie style) or something too.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. It's interesting. :topsy:

I hope that you have a lovely time with the sisters in New York I,m sure you will . :) :) Don't worry :( :( You have the basics for your visit . God Bless. :lol:

You could request a retreatant's clothing list from the sisters--just something to help guide you and help you make sure you've got everything. The first time out, we have a tendency to leave something out of the equation.

Blessings,
Gemma

Hughey I'm so excited for you! I met those sisters back when I was with the Sisters of Life, and just this past Saturday I was at a dinner where I was able to hear a talk by Fr Apostoli. They're an awesome congregation. :woot: I'll be praying for you!

Yes, they would like to see a lovely spiritual young woman who is not frozen! :D:

Also remember some sensible shoes with soles that don't slip and some thick tights to keep your legs warm. If your head gets cold perhaps some type of cap and some gloves and...Ok, Ok...I'm busted. I'm a MOM <_<

Many prayers for you!

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1093830' date='Oct 17 2006, 09:42 AM']
Yes, they would like to see a lovely spiritual young woman who is not frozen! :D:
[/quote]
AMEN! So many prayers for you Hughey!

+

Yay! How long will your visit be? A very important thing, and I write as someone who has lived in Minnesota for 25 years, is a very long and wide scarf -a "wrap" actually! Mine is 2feet wide by 5feet long. This way it will seal your head and neck from drafts and prevent heat from escaping (80% of our body heat escaps from our heads), and it can function as an extra layer around your hands if necessary. It should be made of cotton and or wool. A lot of american scarves can be wimpy (my favorite is from Rome; they're really inexpensive there -$8.00 or so), but I'm sure you can find one at a good price at a local department store... just look at the wraps! In addition, if you can find yourself a bargain price ankle, shin, or calve length WOOL coat this will make a BIG difference. All in all with these four items you will be warm (importance in descending order)!:

1. Long wool coat
2. Head and neck wrap
3. Wool mittens (not gloves)
4. Nylons to wear under clothes

Blessings!

franciscanheart

Thanks y'all for all the tips and prayers!

Veritas - I actually just learned about all the heat that escapes from our head and WHY! That's so interesting! (Something a Texan would lever learn unless traveling north for winter! haha.)

I will be in New York for six days with the Sisters (returning the 21st). :)

My friend Julie (Happy Catholic) is knitting me a scarf. :D: It's gunna be blue.

Question for you: Won't mittens be hard to work with? I have some mittens that have rabbit fur on the inside with a soft leather exterior and, while comfortable and warm, they're not easy to work with! I always have to take them off to do anything (except pack snow balls).

THANKS AGAIN Y'ALL! I definitely appreciate the prayers! Y'all are the best! ^_^

franciscanheart

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1094319' date='Oct 17 2006, 06:21 PM']
I wonder if you'll have a snowball fight with the sisters? That'd be fun!
[/quote]
That WOULD be fun! :hehe:

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1094319' date='Oct 17 2006, 06:21 PM']
I hope you have a wonderful time, Laura!
[/quote]
Thank you. :blush: