An Old School Catholic Message Board

Still Not Catholic!

mulls

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1092684' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:55 PM']
sure thing ;)

i don't have time to go into it myself (i need to be somewhere in 5 min), so these articles will have to do:
--[url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat/532"][b]Born Again in Baptism[/b][/url]

good to see u back bro. respectful and intelligent protestants have been few and far between since you left.

pax christi,
phatcatholic
[/quote]

hey bro.

read a few articles, nothing that i'm not already familiar with.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1093739' date='Oct 17 2006, 08:43 AM']
But anyways...
A Close Shave is much better than the Wrong Trousers. It's even more funny if you talk to someone with a Yorkie accent discuss it and you get a bit more insight into the word play. There really is a Wensleydale, and they do make coagulated milk there.
[/quote]
I guess I just like evil penguins and remote control pants...

[quote name='mulls' post='1093913' date='Oct 17 2006, 10:13 AM']
hey bro.

read a few articles, nothing that i'm not already familiar with.
[/quote]
So then where are the arguments incorrect? Pick one, lets discuss it.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1093739' date='Oct 17 2006, 06:43 AM']
I'm an equal opportunity offender. I criticize what I disagree with. I believe in fundamental Catholic theology which is why I criticize prottys. I abhor most 'catholic philosphy, practice, and culture' that contradicts Catholic theology and very often, basic morals. I especially detest the default defense of those contradictory actions in any denomination. If I had a dollar for everytime I was told, or saw someone else told they weren't a good catholic because they hold hands, or don't kneel, or don't wear a scapular, or won't accept effeminate priests, or this or that, I'd buy Bill Gates' house. Since I have many friends that are non-Catholic, I see the same thing within their various denominations.
Religion is a result of having a relationship with God, and is not the summit of that relationship or the goal of that relationship. A relationship with God is not just the result of academic thought, or the result of the most forcefull 'witnessing'.
[/quote]
So you're saying you left the Catholic Faith because of people bickering about holding hands and kneeling??! :idontknow:

I would say there are preferential and proper ways of worshipping during the mass - but this hardly seems a matter to leave the Church over. Is insisting on standing and holding hands [i]that[/i] important to you? Do you have a reason for this insistance, or is it just that you don't want anyone else "telling you what to do"?

I don't myself wear a scapular, but I've never had anyone tell me I'm a "bad Catholic" because of it.
Maybe you've known some a**holes in the Church, but the behavior of these characters shouldn't be a basis for rejecting the Church. They don't speak for the Church, but only their own opinion.

As for "accepting effeminate priests," this depends on what you mean. If a man is validly ordained, we are to recognize his priesthood, whether he is effeminate or not (or has other flaws for that matter). However, this does not mean that we must accept their effeminacy as a good thing, nor be ok with effeminate men entering the priesthood. Good men should make a stand, not just leave.

It seems you are basically rejecting the Faith based on the bad behavior of some Catholics you have encountered.
Not wise nor logical.

Edited by Socrates

Soc,
Sadly that is an extreme over-simplification and is only a partial aspect of the larger disaffection. {wink}