An Old School Catholic Message Board

Revival

desertwoman

[quote]There is nothing in that quote that says The Church should emulate the heretics in the Pentacostal "church." [/quote]

And we COUNT on your sticking to that position!

Self satisfaction is our best ally.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1097129' date='Oct 20 2006, 02:58 PM']
And we COUNT on your sticking to that position!

Self satisfaction is our best ally.
[/quote]

You posted the quote yourself.

Anybody awake there!?!?

IcePrincessKRS

Please, can't you just answer desertwoman's question? It had nothing to do with leaving one faith for another, it had to do with REVIVAL. If you're going to take up this gazillion-people-in-Latin-America-leaving-the-Catholic-Church-bit take it to a different thread.

Here it is again:

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1090530' date='Oct 13 2006, 11:03 AM']
For all of my Protestant brethren. I asked this question on another board, and it hasnt been answered yet.

But what is revival? If a church is biblicaly and doctrinaly sound, why do we need revival? Is revival an emotional deal that we have to go through in order to feel like we are close to the divine? A hit that we must have every other year in order to feel the Spirit? :idontknow:

I'm protestant myself, and I never understood the concept of revival if the church is doing what it is suppose to be doing. Why do we need revival if the church is based off the Bible as the sole source, and bases of our doctrines? :idontknow:
Thanks for the replies!! For I honestly would like to know.
[/quote]

(and look, she even asked a second time in case you missed the opening post)

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1096857' date='Oct 20 2006, 02:34 PM']
:blink: Ahhh... I"m not Catholic, and what does revival have to do with Latin American's leaving the CAtholic CHurch, when I"m asking about revival in the Protestant tradition.

I"m asking if the church attended is based Biblically and is scripturaly sound, why have a revival?

Thanks for others for answering, and the Faith Garden thing is a cool summary. Thanks all.
[/quote]

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1097178' date='Oct 20 2006, 04:04 PM']
Please, can't you just answer desertwoman's question? It had nothing to do with leaving one faith for another, it had to do with REVIVAL. If you're going to take up this gazillion-people-in-Latin-America-leaving-the-Catholic-Church-bit take it to a different thread.
Here it is again:
(and look, she even asked a second time in case you missed the opening post)
[/quote]

Do you really expect Budge or Euthy' to answer a question?

Maybe we can get Mulls to do it. He seems both knowlegeable and willing to answer a simple question.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1097183' date='Oct 20 2006, 07:07 PM']
Do you really expect Budge or Euthy' to answer a question?

Maybe we can get Mulls to do it. He seems both knowlegeable and willing to answer a simple question.
[/quote]

Well... when you put it like that, no. But its not like she's asking them some serious Catholic question (which I have never known them to answer). They're non-Catholics, they should be able to answer her question easily enough.

Mulls is a good egg, I am sure he would give his 2 cents, he's always been very good about answering questions.

I answered, very extensively.

You just cannot see that I have.

REVIVAL?

You simply cannot REVIVE a sacramental based church, the service is actually scripted to prevent any expression of joy, excitement, or fire.

So, we showed you HOW it was done down the street from the parishes, and WHY millions left the DEAD and DYING sacramental system, for on fire, spirit filled, crazy and full of joy and excitement church that set up shop in the same neighborhoods.

But if you chose to ignore what is going on, and the hotshot competetion that is ripping out 10% a year, in your pride you will continue to get what you have gotten in the past...NO ONE coming in { last year, according to the USCCB, there were approximately SIX new members coming in that were not Catholic to begin with per parish, and THAT is pathetic...}

When you learn to sing like this....well, you know what you will say, that is UNDIGNIFIED...you are now pushing Gregorian Chants...and frankly, I REALLY hope that catches on with the Catholic Church, and the Latin Mass too!

[img]http://www.albanyfirstassembly.org/images/page/p5.jpg[/img]

IcePrincessKRS

Sorry, I saw nothing about revival. Only conversion. Desertwoman didn't see anything about revival, either, as evidenced by her post.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1097325' date='Oct 20 2006, 08:04 PM']
So, we showed you HOW it was done down the street from the parishes, and WHY millions left the DEAD and DYING sacramental system, for on fire, [b]spirit filled, crazy and full of joy[/b] and excitement church that set up shop in the same neighborhoods.
[/quote]
Well, from the witness of Euty's behavior on these boards, I think we safely conclude that he may indeed be crazy. :wacko: :disguise:

But "spirit-filled" and "[b]full of joy[/b]"??? :idontknow: :rolleyes:

:lol:

And as many others have pointed out, this "numbers game" argument is bogus.

Polls of religion show "none" to be the fastest-growing category in America.
Atheism, paganism, and hedonism are all on the upswing. Does that mean they must be true?

[quote]Polls of religion show "none" to be the fastest-growing category in America.
Atheism, paganism, and hedonism are all on the upswing. Does that mean they must be true? [/quote]

No. The SECOND largest group in America, are EX Roman Catholics.

They are the ones fueling the growth of Islam { while women, not black males }, they are over 2/3rds of the Jehova's Witness converts, and from what I can ascertain, they are heavily into the New Age stuff too....

[i]On those numbers about ex-Catholics[/i], I can only go by my own experience but that hasn't been the case.

For the past 8 years my father has worked in teaching RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, Not confused with "Recuiting Catholics in America" :lol_roll: )

During that time he has worked with hundreds of people who have joined the Catholic Church. When they checked up on the people last year only 2 had left the Church.

Edited by Gadfly

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1097325' date='Oct 20 2006, 10:04 PM']
But if you chose to ignore what is going on, and the hotshot competetion that is ripping out 10% a year, in your pride you will continue to get what you have gotten in the past...NO ONE coming in { last year, according to the USCCB, there were approximately SIX new members coming in that were not Catholic to begin with per parish, and THAT is pathetic...}

[/quote]

Hmmmm...they surely must have skipped counting a parish I know here...they had 51 enter the Church last Easter. In our diocese we seem to have no shortage of RCIA participants... :D:

Oh...sorry desertwoman...this is so off-topic about revivals

Actual number of converts in last year USCCB was 160,000.

Actual number of parishes in the USA per the USCCB is 19,000

I assume that 1/3 convert in not for belief, but for marriage and family harmony, and I assumed that 2/3rds converted in because of a personal belief the Catholic Church was for them.

Do the math yourself.

Claimed number of adherants RC USA is 63 million, or 3300 average per parish.

For a 3.300 member parish to take in 6-8 new converts a year, well, let's just say if that were an Evangelical church, they would fire the pastor and start looking for another one.

To put this into context, one of my favorite churches { I do not attend there, but listen weekly on the internet to the sunday early service } is Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale. Every two months, they have open air baptisms in the ocean. They generally have over 300 per session or 1800 a year. Given where they are, I would assume that 75% of them were formerly Catholic Church, but that is only a guess. My mid sized church, has four welcoming new member sessions a year, they are averaging 30 per class, or 120 a year {adults} and I would guess that about 1/2 are former Roman Catholics.

I only put these numbers out, to show that REVIVAL within the Catholic Church is desperately needed. And getting all excited about a few new faces coming in { that were not born Catholic Church} is premature.

Revival comes like a wildfire, it is contageous, and for those that are hidebound, it is threatening too.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1097630' date='Oct 21 2006, 06:30 AM']
I only put these numbers out, to show that REVIVAL within the Catholic Church is desperately needed. And getting all excited about a few new faces coming in { that were not born Catholic Church} is premature.
[/quote]

Jesus must be very pleased at each and every child of His, who hears His call to come home to His Church. As the angels must surely rejoice, I rejoice for each brother and sister who is welcomed into the Church. Perhaps you can attend an Easter Vigil this coming year. It's very beautiful.

You think there is a need for revival, because you do not understand what The Church has. Why should I need all of what you think of as a "revival" when I walk into my parish church and I gaze upon Him who is Eternal? There is no shortage of converts or Catholics. The Church is alive and well.

God Bless and have a nice weekend