An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Prevents Sacrilege, Insures Body Of Christ Is Protected

RC_

HeavenlyCalling

This si sad, but if he cannot recieve then he cannot recieve, and he needs to be prevented from commiting sacrilege against the Body of Christ, our Lord and Savior

Good Lord. Put a drop of wine on the boy's tongue and BE DONE WITH IT.

Why is it only the stupid people who make the news?

Edited by toledo_jesus

the presence is said to be in the Eucharist so long as the accidents of bread is visible. particals whose accidents are no longer visible to us, we are called not to worry about. however, if such particals were interacting with us by the accidence of bread through us swallowing them, it seems to me the accidence of bread is interacting with us and these particals are a reception of the substantial body and blood of Our Lord.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1089489' date='Oct 11 2006, 05:47 PM']
the presence is said to be in the Eucharist so long as the accidents of bread is visible. particals whose accidents are no longer visible to us, we are called not to worry about. however, if such particals were interacting with us by the accidence of bread through us swallowing them, it seems to me the accidence of bread is interacting with us and these particals are a reception of the substantial body and blood of Our Lord.
[/quote]

If this were the case, what happens if he then spits up that salivia? I think that's where the worries comes in. Even then, the Precious Blood would be more prudent to use as it already is a liquid.

[quote]"How terrible, how difficult for the family," said Denise Resnik, board chairwoman for the Southwest Autism Research Center and the mother of a boy who is dealing with autism. "We often seek comfort in our religion, and it would be nice to think the church would support them to the best degree possible." Diocese officials said they are doing their best to accommodate Matthew's needs, including hosts that are thinner than the norm, thicker, even smaller. Moran says none of the hosts has worked. Matthew will not swallow even a tiny crumb of the host or a drop of wine with any regularity, frequently spitting them out, he said.[/quote]

And since the article says he can't hold even in a drop of the Blood, I don't see how the Holy Body would be much different.

I'd think one would refrain from recieving if they knew they could not take in the Host and risk dropping it to the ground.

Edited by CatholicCid

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1089378' date='Oct 11 2006, 04:29 PM']
Good Lord. Put a drop of wine on the boy's tongue and BE DONE WITH IT.

Why is it only the stupid people who make the news?
[/quote]
[quote]To those suggesting using the Blood... the article said he spits that up too.[/quote]

This is ridiculous.

Obviously, this kid cannot receive Communion.
(To my understanding, spitting out a Host does not qualify as reception.)

[quote]"I took my son to CCD (religious education) classes for two years to prepare him," said Moran, a stay-at-home father. "He deserves it."

Moran also said his son realizes that he is doing something special. When he was not allowed to go to Communion on Feb. 26, "it was terrible," said Matthew's mother. "Matt screamed and cried because he did not get his Communion."[/quote]
The parents' attitude about the Sacrament is just wrong here; like the Blessed Sacrament is some prize people "deserve" for jumping through certain hoops.
Nobody "deserves" the Sacraments - they are a free and undeserved gift from God.

If this kid truly is incapable of physically receiving the Sacrament, we should trust that God, in His own Infinite Wisdom, can provide for his soul in His own mysterious ways.

The parents seem to be putting their own selfish desires, and the kid's emotions ("Matt screamed and cried because he did not get his Communion."), ahead of proper respect for this Most Holy Sacrament, treating it like some reward owed them, or some goody to placate their screaming kid.

And, while I don't know all the details, it seems dubious this kid is capable of a true understanding of what the Eucharist is about.
(The parents don't seem to have a proper understanding either, for that matter.)

I'd go with the Bishop here.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1089186' date='Oct 11 2006, 02:51 PM']
the problem being that no one really 'deserves' to receive Jesus. we are all unworthy. and receiving the Eucharist is not a right, it is a privilege.
[/quote]

Actually, receiving the Eucharist is an [b][u]obligation[/u][/b] once a year, unless the commandments of the Church were revised and nobody bothered to mention it to the general public.

I do have one question, though: if the kid spits up anything - even the smallest drop or crumb - how is he being nourished? Unless he is being fed intraveneously, I'm surprised he hasn't died of starvation and/or dehydration by now.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1089544' date='Oct 11 2006, 07:24 PM']
Actually, receiving the Eucharist is an [b][u]obligation[/u][/b] once a year, unless the commandments of the Church were revised and nobody bothered to mention it to the general public.

I do have one question, though: if the kid spits up anything - even the smallest drop or crumb - how is he being nourished? Unless he is being fed intraveneously, I'm surprised he hasn't died of starvation and/or dehydration by now.
[/quote]

I think the 2nd part of that sentence explains it more... "we are all unworthy"

None are worthy or deserving of Christ, but we need him. We are obligated to recieve him yearly, yet that still does not mean we are worthy of him.

"Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."

And my guess would be intraveneously if need be... But the article says:
[quote]Autistic children frequently have difficulty eating certain kinds of food, among other disabilities. Moran says Matthew is extremely sensitive to certain colors and textures, and the boy eats and drinks only specific things.[/quote]

please, how can you spit out a [b]drop[/b] of wine? If the merest of contact is enough, then the priest could wet his finger and apply it to the kids lips or SOMETHING.

Show some creativity is all I'm saying.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1089544' date='Oct 11 2006, 06:24 PM']Actually, receiving the Eucharist is an [b][u]obligation[/u][/b] once a year, unless the commandments of the Church were revised and nobody bothered to mention it to the general public.[/quote]these guys do a better job of saying what i was trying to convey:
[quote name='Socrates' post='1089535' date='Oct 11 2006, 06:07 PM']Nobody "deserves" the Sacraments - they are a free and undeserved gift from God.[/quote][quote name='CatholicCid' post='1089556' date='Oct 11 2006, 06:52 PM']I think the 2nd part of that sentence explains it more... "we are all unworthy"

None are worthy or deserving of Christ, but we need him. We are obligated to recieve him yearly, yet that still does not mean we are worthy of him.

"Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."[/quote]

[quote]Good Lord. Put a drop of wine on the boy's tongue and BE DONE WITH IT.[/quote]

OH MY GOD! It is not wine! It is the Precious Blood of our God and Lord!