An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attitude Towards The Jewish People

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

goldenchild17

A tangent I thought worthy to go on. That is something that I think needed to be cleared up. It is definitely the Calvinist twisting of his doctrine that is in error. Not his teaching itself.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

but it wasn't just one saint....it was a bunch of them. it was also local church councils, and the Papal teachings. so before vatican II was it a common idea that jews were acurrssed (please excuse the spelling)? Why at Vatican II was this changed?

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1087991' date='Oct 9 2006, 10:24 PM']
but it wasn't just one saint....it was a bunch of them. it was also local church councils, and the Papal teachings. so before vatican II was it a common idea that jews were acurrssed (please excuse the spelling)? Why at Vatican II was this changed?
[/quote]Because denominations change over time.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088083' date='Oct 10 2006, 09:12 AM']
Because denominations change over time.
[/quote]
True, most groups have fallen away from whatever particular vision their human founders deformed from Catholic church teaching. That is not the same as coming to a greater understanding of a teaching you already have. The first is outright change, the second is development of doctrine as we understand it over time. Big difference.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1088113' date='Oct 10 2006, 08:36 AM']
and the Church is not a denomination
[/quote]What's a denomination?

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088114' date='Oct 10 2006, 09:37 AM']
What's a denomination?
[/quote]

You already know. You've been baiting this topic for weeks.

a "denomination" must "denominate" from some other entity. I defy you to tell me which entity the Catholic Church "denominated" from. it is rather a continuation of an entity, the same entity, through many centuries. just because groups left the Church, denominated from the Church, does not make the Church a denomination ;)

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1088116' date='Oct 10 2006, 08:45 AM']
You already know. You've been baiting this topic for weeks.
[/quote]I've been baiting for someone to provide their definition of a denomination. and what's wrong with it.
Sometimes you bait the hook and wait, and wait, and wait, and wiat, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1088119' date='Oct 10 2006, 08:59 AM']
a "denomination" must "denominate" from some other entity. I defy you to tell me which entity the Catholic Church "denominated" from. it is rather a continuation of an entity, the same entity, through many centuries. just because groups left the Church, denominated from the Church, does not make the Church a denomination ;)
[/quote]
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
No. A religious denomination is a congregation of like minded persons. Look it up and start a thread.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088133' date='Oct 10 2006, 11:37 AM']
I've been baiting for someone to provide their definition of a denomination. and what's wrong with it.
Sometimes you bait the hook and wait, and wait, and wait, and wiat, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
No. A religious denomination is a congregation of like minded persons. Look it up and start a thread.
[/quote]
guess it depends on your definition

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088133' date='Oct 10 2006, 10:37 AM']
I've been baiting for someone to provide their definition of a denomination. and what's wrong with it.
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
[/quote]

You start a thread. You're the one who's questioning it. Start a legit discussion instead of being passive aggressive.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088133' date='Oct 10 2006, 09:37 AM']
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
[/quote]

A religious denomination, Anomoly, is a subgroup within a religion that operates under a common name, tradition, and identity. So, would you like to show me how Catholicism is a "subgroup" of Christianity?

Catholicism is a dirivative of what religion? Care to trace the lineage back for me? Yes, Catholics are like-minded, for the most part, and yes, Catholics are part of a congregation, but that is where the similarities end.

In order for the Catholic Church to meet the definition of a religious denomination, it must be a subgroup and I argue that the Church is not a subgroup, but rather the Master group and all Protestant denominations are a subgroup, to a greater or lesser degree of the Catholic Church.

Good Luck.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1088133' date='Oct 10 2006, 11:37 AM']
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
[/quote]
LOL

yes, in common usage, that is how it is used. but etymologically and actually, a denomination by definition must be de-nominated from another group (usually by a distinguishing name like "lutheran" et cetera; hence the use of the word "de-nominatinate"). You can use the word as it has evolved in protestant circles to support protestant purposes, or you can use it the way it is etymologically intended.

Definitions are not always as simple as the first phrase in a dictionary. if you don't know what I'm talking about, take a debate class ;) there is absolutely nothing in the word "denomination" which suggests "a congregation of likeminded persons".. for that you could use "congregation" perhaps... or "religion" (though some religions were de-nominated from other religions and those could be called "denominations")

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1088151' date='Oct 10 2006, 10:01 AM']
LOL

yes, in common usage, that is how it is used. but etymologically and actually, a denomination by definition must be de-nominated from another group (usually by a distinguishing name like "lutheran" et cetera; hence the use of the word "de-nominatinate"). You can use the word as it has evolved in protestant circles to support protestant purposes, or you can use it the way it is etymologically intended.

Definitions are not always as simple as the first phrase in a dictionary. if you don't know what I'm talking about, take a debate class ;) there is absolutely nothing in the word "denomination" which suggests "a congregation of likeminded persons".. for that you could use "congregation" perhaps... or "religion" (though some religions were de-nominated from other religions and those could be called "denominations")
[/quote]
Take it up with Webster, the dictionary guy. Creating some arcane definition and assuming everyone should know it is like Clinton asking what "is" is or Euty asking what "Church" means. If you have some other way to define denomination than what is used in standard english and is found in an english dictionary, please feel free to establish and define it so that others may know what you mean. Within my household, family and certain friends, 'gar' has a clear and identifible meaning we all comprehend, know, but has nothing to do with the type of fish people associate with the word.