An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visting The Summit Dominican Nuns

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

This weekend Brandee was supposed to be with us for a visit. We've been planning this since March! Well, she's been sick all week and this morning had to call to cancel! Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the answering machine and headed off to the airport (I'm the community driver since we don't have externs) and after a bit realized that probably she wasn't on the flight! :(

Do pray for her that she gets better. So far, half her vacation she's been sick. She's hoping to visit the Buffalo Dominicans next week if she gets better and God willing, will come to Summit if she can get some vacation time. She's disappointed and we are, too! We were looking forward to finally meeting!

She doesn't have Internet access at home so I know she won't mind if I share this for her. I did call her (one should visit the sick!) and we had a nice conversation but I think I made her laugh too much! Cough! Cough!

Aww... :( I'll pray she gets better soon. How disappointing. And sorry you drove out there and she wasn't there Sr. Mary Catharine! I hope it's not too far a drive.

When I went for my visit at OLAM, the plane I was supposed to get on at Kansas City was a half hour late, so I called and left a message (or so I thought) on the brothers' answering machine to let them know I'd be late. And then on top of that, coming into Birmingham there was a storm and the pilot wouldn't land for another 25 minutes.

Finally I get off and then when I found Br. Dan, I asked if he'd gotten my message, and he hadn't :doh: . I felt terrible he'd been waiting for such a long time... and then the baggage claim took forever. Oy vey. But he was very patient. lol.

I'm from/in Buffalo and I'd be happy to meet another PM'er!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1085548' date='Oct 6 2006, 02:50 PM']
This weekend Brandee was supposed to be with us for a visit. We've been planning this since March! Well, she's been sick all week and this morning had to call to cancel! Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the answering machine and headed off to the airport (I'm the community driver since we don't have externs) and after a bit realized that probably she wasn't on the flight! :(

Do pray for her that she gets better. So far, half her vacation she's been sick. She's hoping to visit the Buffalo Dominicans next week if she gets better and God willing, will come to Summit if she can get some vacation time. She's disappointed and we are, too! We were looking forward to finally meeting!

She doesn't have Internet access at home so I know she won't mind if I share this for her. I did call her (one should visit the sick!) and we had a nice conversation but I think I made her laugh too much! Cough! Cough!
[/quote]

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1085548' date='Oct 6 2006, 01:50 PM']

[/quote]

Total prayers. One thing I know we can all do!!! :sign:

passionheart

Good Evening Everyone!!

I just got off the telephone with Brandee. She is sounding and feeling a little better tonight. She hopes to go Buffalo next week.

Keeping praying for her everyone because it has been a hard week for her. She was determined to get on the plane this morning so it was tough for her to admit she couldn't make the trip.

All and all she is trusting in God's will and grace and as Brandee said tonight, she felt God is with her in her apartment.

brandelynmarie

Okies! Here I go...God willing, off to Buffalo! Thank you Sister Mary Catharine for your kind words & for posting on here! And thank you all for your prayers & support...I love this phamily! :grouphug: I will report back sometime on Sunday & let y'all know what's going on...I will be remembering y'all in my prayers as well...
*cue the Wizard of Oz theme song....* :blush: :bye:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1088143' date='Oct 10 2006, 08:47 AM']
Okies! Here I go...God willing, off to Buffalo! Thank you Sister Mary Catharine for your kind words & for posting on here! And thank you all for your prayers & support...I love this phamily! :grouphug: I will report back sometime on Sunday & let y'all know what's going on...I will be remembering y'all in my prayers as well...
*cue the Wizard of Oz theme song....* :blush: :bye:
[/quote]

+

Yay! Prayers.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1085553' date='Oct 6 2006, 01:02 PM']
Aww... :( I'll pray she gets better soon. How disappointing. And sorry you drove out there and she wasn't there Sr. Mary Catharine! I hope it's not too far a drive.

When I went for my visit at OLAM, the plane I was supposed to get on at Kansas City was a half hour late, so I called and left a message (or so I thought) on the brothers' answering machine to let them know I'd be late. And then on top of that, coming into Birmingham there was a storm and the pilot wouldn't land for another 25 minutes.

Finally I get off and then when I found Br. Dan, I asked if he'd gotten my message, and he hadn't :doh: . I felt terrible he'd been waiting for such a long time... and then the baggage claim took forever. Oy vey. But he was very patient. lol.
[/quote]

Thats a funny story :lol_roll:

[quote name='Rick777' post='1088569' date='Oct 10 2006, 05:54 PM']
Thats a funny story :lol_roll:
[/quote]

+

Sister, where do the girls stay when they visit?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Veritas' post='1088606' date='Oct 10 2006, 09:44 PM']
+

Sister, where do the girls stay when they visit?
[/quote]

For the 1st visit which is usually a few days they stay in the guest quarters in the extern area.

If a young woman and the community mutually feel that an aspirancy is the next step than during the aspirancy she lives in the novitiate.

SMC

Hello Everyone,

Once again, I just spoke with Brandee on the telephone. She is still at Buffalo Dominicans due to a number of circumstances. She asked me to tell everyone what is happening with her right now.

First as most of you know Buffalo was hit by a major snowstorm. As a result, trees were down and roads were quite dangerous to drive on. Well, you guessed it Brandee was snowed in with others at the guesthouse.

Finally, Brandee began her trip home back to Ohio. She stopped in Hamburg NY for some gasoline and for something to eat. As she was leaving, she was rear-ended by another care. Brandee wasn't badly hurt but she did hit head and she hurt her jaw. Her car was towed the nearest garage and it looks like the damage is bad. Her insurance company is having her car towed to one of their garages and they will decided whether to write the car off or have the car fixed and give her a rental car. Meanwhile this left Brandee stranded so she called the monastery and Srs. Bernadette Marie and Sr. Rose of St. Mary came to rescue. The came and took her back to the monastery.

So she will see tomorrow what will happen next. The good sisters are taking care of her. When I was speaking to her, she had an ice pack on her jaw so she was needs some time to rest.

So please pray for Brandee. She been through quite a bit in the last little while and she needs the support. Brandee did tell me about her experience at the monastery but I think I will let our dear sister tell her story.

Thank you for your prayers!!

Edited by passionheart

[quote name='passionheart' post='1092501' date='Oct 15 2006, 07:50 PM']
Hello Everyone,

Once again, I just spoke with Brandee on the telephone. She is still at Buffalo Dominicans due to a number of circumstances. She asked me to tell everyone what is happening with her right now.

First as most of you know Buffalo was hit by a major snowstorm. As a result, trees were down and roads were quite dangerous to drive on. Well, you guessed it Brandee was snowed in with others at the guesthouse.

Finally, Brandee began her trip home back to Ohio. She stopped in Hamburg NY for some gasoline and for something to eat. As she was leaving, she was rear-ended by another care. Brandee wasn't badly hurt but she did hit head and she hurt her jaw. Her car was towed the nearest garage and it looks like the damage is bad. Her insurance company is having her car towed to one of their garages and they will decided whether to write the car off or have the car fixed and give her a rental car. Meanwhile this left Brandee stranded so she called the monastery and Srs. Bernadette Marie and Sr. Rose of St. Mary came to rescue. The came and took her back to the monastery.

So she will see tomorrow what will happen next. The good sisters are taking care of her. When I was speaking to her, she had an ice pack on her jaw so she was needs some time to rest.

So please pray for Brandee. She been through quite a bit in the last little while and she needs the support. Brandee did tell me about her experience at the monastery but I think I will let our dear sister tell her story.

[/quote]

I will continue to keep her in my prayers!!!

Thanks for the update!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='passionheart' post='1092501' date='Oct 15 2006, 09:50 PM']
Hello Everyone,

[/quote]

Good heavens! Thanks Donna for keeping us informed! I suspected that she would be at Buffalo a bit longer than she thought but a car accident!?!
If you talk to her please tell her that we are praying for her. Obviously, the "ole boy" is trying to get in the way!

I look forward to hearing about her visit!

SMC