An Old School Catholic Message Board

Greek And Russian Orthodox

cathgrl83

I'm so confused about Roman Catholicism and Greek and Russian Orthodox. One Sunday at my old church during the homily, the priest was talking about the Greek Orthodox church down the street and something about us being a family church to them or something like that. And I just want to know if they are Eastern Catholic religons or if it's just similar or if they were taken from Catholicism like the Prodistant religons are. Am I making any sence at all?

Roman Catholic - Roman Rite of the Catholic Church
Eastern Catholic - Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church
Other Rites exist, I can't recall which ones currently.

The Orthodox Churches (Greek, Russian, Eastern, et al) separated from the Catholic Church in the Great Schism.

LouisvilleFan

I think your pastor's point is the great amount of similarity that exists between Orthodox and Catholic churches. We share seven valid sacraments, apostolic succession, Scripture and Tradition, and a lot of other elements that most Protestant faiths reject. Of course, Orthodox Christians aren't under the Pope's authority, but Eastern Catholics are, and that's the primary difference. A Catholic can receive the Eucharist at an Eastern Catholic but not at an Orthodox Divine Liturgy (their term for what we call Mass)

Actually I am fairly positive that (with the permission of the Priest) a Catholic is allowed to recieve the Most Holy Body and Blood of Our Master Jesus Christ from an Orthodox priest, however not vice-versa.

brat Konstantin

The Holy See issued a "[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=3135"][u]Note on the Expression 'Sister Churches'[/u][/url]":

[quote]One may also speak of sister churches, in a proper sense, in reference to particular Catholic and non-Catholic churches; thus the particular church of Rome can also be called the sister of all other particular churches. However, as recalled above, one cannot properly say that the Catholic Church is the sister of a particular church or group of churches. This is not merely a question of terminology, but above all of respecting a basic truth of the Catholic faith: that of the unicity of the church of Jesus Christ. In fact, there is but a single church, and therefore the plural term churches can refer only to particular churches. Consequently, one should avoid, as a source of misunderstanding and theological confusion, the use of formulations such as our two churches which, if applied to the Catholic Church and the totality of Orthodox churches (or a single Orthodox church), imply a plurality not merely on the level of particular churches, but also on the level of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church confessed in the creed, whose real existence is thus obscured.[/quote]

From the Code of Canon Law:

[quote]Can. 844 §1. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone, who likewise receive them licitly from Catholic ministers alone, without prejudice to the prescripts of §§2, 3, and 4 of this canon, and can. 861, §2.

§2. Whenever necessity requires it or true spiritual advantage suggests it, and provided that danger of error or of indifferentism is avoided, the Christian faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister are permitted to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-

Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.

§3. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church if they seek such on their own accord and are properly disposed. This is also valid for members of other Churches which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition in regard to the sacraments as these Eastern Churches.[/quote]

OK, I guess than if I can recieve the Sacraments from the Schismatic Greek Heterodox I can recieve them from the SSPX who only have a semi-schismatic attitude.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='iKonstantin' post='1086545' date='Oct 7 2006, 10:56 PM']
So my point stood. Glory To Jesus Christ Forever!
brat Konstantin
[/quote]
Actually, Canon Law states that Orthodox may recieve the Eucharist at Catholic Mass - obviously because of their belief in the Real Presence.

The Holy See's Annuario Pontificio gives the following list of Eastern Catholic Churches and of countries (or other political areas) in which they possess an episcopal ecclesiastical jurisdiction (date of reunion in parenthesis):

* Alexandrian liturgical tradition
o Coptic Catholic Church (patriarchate): Egypt (1741)
o Ethiopic Catholic Church (metropolia): Ethiopia, Eritrea (1846)
* Antiochian (Antiochene or West-Syrian) liturgical tradition
o Maronite Church (patriarchate): Lebanon, Cyprus, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Argentina, Brazil, USA, Australia, Canada, Mexico (union re-affirmed 1182)
o Syrian Catholic Church (patriarchate): Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Palestine, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, United States and Canada, Venezuela (1781)
o Syro-Malankara Catholic Church (major archiepiscopate): India, United States of America (1930)
* Armenian liturgical tradition:
o Armenian Catholic Church (patriarchate): Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Palestine, Ukraine, France, Greece, Latin America, Argentina, Romania, United States and Canada, Eastern Europe (1742)
* Chaldean or East Syrian liturgical tradition:
o Chaldean Catholic Church (patriarchate): Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, United States of America (1692)
o Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (major archiepiscopate): India, United States of America (at latest, 1599)
* Byzantine (Constantinopolitan) liturgical tradition:
o Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church (apostolic administration): Albania (1628)
o Belarusian Greek Catholic Church (no established hierarchy at present): Belarus (1596)
o Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church (apostolic exarchate): Bulgaria (1861)
o Byzantine Church of the Eparchy of Križevci (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, and Montenegro (1611)
o Greek Byzantine Catholic Church (two apostolic exarchates): Greece, Turkey (1829)
o Hungarian Greek Catholic Church (an eparchy and an apostolic exarchate): Hungary (1646)
o Italo-Albanian Catholic Church (two eparchies and a territorial abbacy): Italy (Never separated)
o Macedonian Greek Catholic Church (an apostolic exarchate): Republic of Macedonia (1918)
o Melkite Greek Catholic Church (patriarchate): Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Jerusalem, Brazil, USA, Canada, Mexico, Iraq, Egypt and Sudan, Kuwait, Australia, Venezuela, Argentina (1726)
o Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic (major archiepiscopate): Romania, United States of America (1697)
o Russian Byzantine Catholic Church: (two apostolic exarchates, at present with no published hierarchs): Russia, China (1905); currently about 20 parishes and communities scattered around the world, including five in Russia itself, answering to bishops of other jurisdictions
o Ruthenian Catholic Church (a sui juris metropolia, an eparchy, and an apostolic exarchate): United States of America, Ukraine, Czech Republic (1646)
o Slovak Greek Catholic Church (two eparchies and an apostolic exarchate): Slovak Republic, Canada (1646)
o Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (major archiepiscopate): Ukraine, Poland, USA, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Germany and Scandinavia, France, Brazil, Argentina (1595)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1086600' date='Oct 7 2006, 11:25 PM']
OK, I guess than if I can recieve the Sacraments from the Schismatic Greek Heterodox I can recieve them from the SSPX who only have a semi-schismatic attitude.
[/quote]
Only if it is impossible to receive the sacraments from non-schismatic Catholic ministers (in both cases).