An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heretic Modernist Pope To Islam:

Paladin

Stupid modernist tripe:
"For there is nothing which Almighty God, who wishes that all men should be saved and that no man should perish, more approves in our conduct than that a man should first love God and then his fellow men … Most certainly you and we ought to love each other in this way more than other races of men, because we believe and confess one God, albeit in different ways, whom each day we praise and reverence as the creator of all ages and the governor of this world."
-Pope Gregory VII, to the Muslim Sultan of Bougie, A.D. 1076

Groo the Wanderer

DOH!

Logged into this thread looking to see what tripe Budge posted THIS time....surprise surprise on me! :idontknow:

goldenchild17

Hey do you have a place where I can read the whole letter? Not that I don't trust you or anything :). The Latin source would be great too, but from the searching I've done all I've seen that exists is that little 2-3 sentence quote found on Shea's blog.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1084355' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:24 PM']
Hey do you have a place where I can read the whole letter? Not that I don't trust you or anything :). The Latin source would be great too, but from the searching I've done all I've seen that exists is that little 2-3 sentence quote found on Shea's blog.
[/quote]
Try as I might, I can't seem to find the whole text, though I shall keep an eye out.

EDIT:
I have found this as the cited source in numerous documents:
Cf. St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir [Al-Nasir], King of Mauretania PL, 148.451A

Edited by Paladin

[quote name='Paladin' post='1085436' date='Oct 6 2006, 08:45 AM']
Try as I might, I can't seem to find the whole text, though I shall keep an eye out.

EDIT:
I have found this as the cited source in numerous documents:
Cf. St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir [Al-Nasir], King of Mauretania PL, 148.451A
[/quote]

It's worded differently here:

[url="http://www.ccee.ch/english/fields/Dialog_englisch.pdf"]MEETING MUSLIIMS:[/url]
Study Paper prepared by the "Islam in Europe" Committee
[i]Council of European Bishops' Conferences [/i] (CCEE)
[i]Conference of European Churches[/i] (CEC)

3. In the West, there is the letter of Pope Gregory VII (1020-1085), written in 1076 to al-Nasir, Prince of Bougie (in Algeria), who had sent the priest Servandus to him to be ordained bishop. Over and above of the political context, the letter remains relevant: 'You and I owe this charity to one another even more than we owe it to other people, as we recognise and profess - in different ways, it is true - the One God, whom we praise and venerate each day as the creator of all and master of the world, according to the words of the Apostle: For he is our peace,; in his flesh he has made both groups into one' (Eph 2,14).

God bless you

goldenchild17

Okay well thanks. I couldn't find the whole letter at all anywhere either. It's a bothersome statement for me. But coming from him I don't mind it [u]as much[/u] considering his rigidity against them soon after in the Crusades.

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/schall_intellcharity_oct06.asp"]http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features200...arity_oct06.asp[/url]

I asked a Moslem man I work with about God last week. I asked "is he all powerful? Is he all knowing? Is he everywhere present? Eternal? etc. etc. The answer to every question was yes. Now clearly they have some errors but why should I criticize what they hold that is true. Why should I assume malice on what they don't know any more than Peter didn't assume malice on the part of Cornelius whom was a "God-fearing and righteous man" yet did not know of a Trinity or Jesus as the messiah? I am quite certain there are Cornelius type people in Islam, whose prayers God hears. The statements regarding their worship of the same God should not be bothersome.

Admit that the Muslims have the same God as we do. Converse about the understanding of God, and who he actually is.

You don't tear down a whole house to fix a leaky sink, do you?