An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Book Of Leviticus

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

In the OT the Israelites had their guidebook for worship-- the style of archtecture, the vessels to be used, who would use them, and how they would be used. Everything was spelled out in some 27 or so chapters. God was pretty particular about how He wanted his people to worship Him. So, why is it that there is no such "levitical" book for the NT? Has God changed? Does He no longer care about how we worship? Is it "anything goes"?

VeniteAdoremus

I think He's revealed it through the Tradition...

And, of course, Jesus gave us the prime example at the Last Supper.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1082361' date='Oct 2 2006, 09:13 PM']
As yourself why the curtain of the temple tore just after Christ's death.
[/quote]
God was no longer to be separated from man.

I have a theology of the body answer, but it might just upset people.

Anyway, the liturgy is outlined in the Book of Revelation. :) It's the Catholic Mass.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1082363' date='Oct 2 2006, 07:17 PM']
God was no longer to be separated from man.

[/quote]

That's right. We each have personal access to God. We do not need a mediator other than Christ.

We worship in Spirit and truth as Jesus said and put no confidence in the flesh as Paul said.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1082382' date='Oct 2 2006, 09:43 PM']
That's right. We each have personal access to God. We do not need a mediator other than Christ.

We worship in Spirit and truth as Jesus said and put no confidence in the flesh as Paul said.
[/quote]
You're absolutely right. We don't need any mediator but Christ. We can go straight to Him.

Where do we find Him?

He has chosen to associate Himself with His Church, and we find Him there; He has given a share in His ministry to His priests, and so we find Him in the priesthood; He has given us Himself, the living bread from heaven having all sweetness within it, and so we are to receive Him.

Yes, go to Christ, but seek Him where He tells us He is.

You see, the Church is mystically Christ, the priest is in the person of Christ, and the Eucharist is sacramentally Christ.

Go to Christ.

Edited by Raphael

[quote name='Raphael' post='1082386' date='Oct 2 2006, 07:52 PM']
You're absolutely right. We don't need any mediator but Christ. We can go straight to Him.

Where do we find Him?

He has chosen to associate Himself with His Church, and we find Him there; He has given a share in His ministry to His priests, and so we find Him in the priesthood; He has given us Himself, the living bread from heaven having all sweetness within it, and so we are to receive Him.

Yes, go to Christ, but seek Him where He tells us He is.

You see, the Church is mystically Christ, the priest is in the person of Christ, and the Eucharist is sacramentally Christ.

Go to Christ.
[/quote]

Going to the Church and the Priest is not going to Christ. I think you missed the point.

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1082760' date='Oct 3 2006, 06:13 AM']
Going to the Church and the Priest is not going to Christ. I think you missed the point.
[/quote]But what was the point with Apostles, Disciples, and followers? If everyone was just equal, why even have Apostles?
At the Pentecost and when Jesus was appearing, it was to a certain group. The group voted and got a replacement.
Repeatedly in Scripture, Jesus points out that grace is given unequally, but that more is demanded of those who are given more.
What about Jesus telling Peter to feed his flock if Jesus was going to feed them all.
Why didn't Jesus just say, watch my flock 'cause I'll feed them?
Why did Jesus pick out a few people and tell them to forgive sins?
Why did Jesus send out a few to spread the word?
Why did Jesus only have the Last Supper with a few when he called the bread his body, and not say those words when the crowd was fed?

You leave too many questions unanswered.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1082760' date='Oct 3 2006, 08:13 AM']
[/quote]
Christ not only appointed them to represent Him (because we humans need something tangible; we're not so good at praying without seeing a representation), but He actually gave them the sharing in His ministry in such a way that, mystically, the Church can be said to be Christ and priests can be said to be Christ.

Christ came to save each individual, but He also came to save a people He chose to call His own. He came to save the Church He formed. Therefore, since the Church, His one Bride, is composed of the elect, and He wishes that all men might be saved, it makes sense that the Church is supposed to go out into all the world to preach the Gospel, baptizing the world into herself, the Church, so that they might, with the Church, Christ's Bride, be one flesh with Christ, that selfsame flesh that died and rose again. This is why St. Paul says that you die and rise in Baptism, not because of a figure of speech or saying that you imitate Christ, but that you truly do in a mystical way die with Christ and thus rise with Him so that, as part of His Body, the Church, you may be saved. This is why mortal sin, which separates a man from the Church, must be confessed. The man must return to the Church, for it is the Church which is saved, and it is every man, woman, and child that God wants to be saved in the Church. That is why the Church has always been called the New Ark, because, drenched in the watersof Baptism, she alone stays afloat, and all her virtues with her, while everything else dies away. You must be on the New Ark. Most certainly, do not mock it as Noah's neighbors mocked him.

thessalonian

actually it's the book of revelations. Read "The Lamb's Supper". Our Mass is patterned after the worship in heaven.

I'm dumb so how did Leviticus relate to the ancient priesthood of the Levites?
Could it be said that Leviticus was a book for the Priesthood of the Old Testament?
That the "levitical" book of today is found within the Mass and His Holy Church, within the Priesthood of his Church?

If we don't use Leviticus anymore really why do some people still cite stuff out of it in debates? Also why is it still in our Bible? Just as a historical point because it was in the Torah?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='track2004' post='1086016' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:11 AM']
If we don't use Leviticus anymore really why do some people still cite stuff out of it in debates? Also why is it still in our Bible? Just as a historical point because it was in the Torah?
[/quote]
First off, I love your sig.

Second, because Leviticus helps us to see the roots of the Gospel.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='track2004' post='1086016' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:11 AM']
[/quote]

Get a copy of the Navarre Bible and read the book of Leviticus and the footnotes, and you will see why it is essential. :)

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1082763' date='Oct 3 2006, 07:24 AM']
But what was the point with Apostles, Disciples, and followers? If everyone was just equal, why even have Apostles?
[color="#000099"][b]From the very beginning of salvation history God has called forth people listen deeply to his word, and to proclaim it to others. In the Old Testament, they're called prophets. They exist today, too. They're equal to everyone else. Apostles and disciples are words used to describe the particular relationship a person had with Jesus.[/b][/color]
What about Jesus telling Peter to feed his flock if Jesus was going to feed them all? Why didn't Jesus just say, watch my flock 'cause I'll feed them?
[color="#000099"][b]We are given the great gift of cooperation. We work in the field, sustained by the Holy Spirit, to offer our fruits up to the farmer.[/b][/color]
Why did Jesus pick out a few people and tell them to forgive sins?[color="#000099"][b]
How do we know Jesus didn't pick more people and tell them to forgive sins?[/b][/color]
Why did Jesus send out a few to spread the word?
[color="#000099"][b]How do we know Jesus didn't send out many to spread the word? Also, if you read the second ending of Mark (16:20), I'd say that Jesus sent ME to go spread the word.[/b][/color]

You leave too many questions unanswered.
[/quote]
[color="#000099"][b]I'm in blue. [/b][/color] :)

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1083293' date='Oct 3 2006, 06:29 PM']
actually it's the book of revelations.
[/quote]
The Revelation to John. No [b]S[/b] on the end.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1083293' date='Oct 3 2006, 06:29 PM']
Our Mass is patterned after the worship in heaven.
[/quote]
:woot: