An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eucharist Not In The Bible

cosiegirl

Guest Rick777

The Eucharist is mentioned in the Bible :

John 6
35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.
&
39 and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day.
&
54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1081222' date='Oct 1 2006, 09:59 PM']
Does it bother any of you that the Eucharist is not mentioned in the Bible? Or are you okay with that just being Tradition?
[/quote]

have you never read the Bible? :lol:

It is to in the bible

Matthew
And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. This is my body. 27 And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins.

Mark
2 And whilst they were eating, Jesus took bread; and blessing, broke, and gave to them, and said: Take ye. This is my body. 23 And having taken the chalice, giving thanks, he gave it to them. And they all drank of it. 24 And he said to them: This is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many.

Luke
19 And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me. 20 In like manner the chalice also, after he had supped, saying: This is the chalice, the new testament in my blood, which shall be shed for you.

Corinthians
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. 24 And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. 25 In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. 26 For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. 27 Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. 30 Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.

John
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. 52 If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. 53 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 56 For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 57 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. 58 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. 59 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead. He that eateth this bread, shall live for ever. 60 These things he said, teaching in the synagogue, in Capharnaum. 61 Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard, and who can hear it? 62 But Jesus, knowing in himself, that his disciples murmured at this, said to them: Doth this scandalize you? 63 If then you shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 64 It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing. The words that I have spoken to you, are spirit and life. 65 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning, who they were that did not believe, and who he was, that would betray him. 66 And he said: Therefore did I say to you, that no man can come to me, unless it be given him by my Father. 67 After this many of his disciples went back; and walked no more with him. 68 Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away? 69 And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. 70 And we have believed and have known, that thou art the Christ, the Son of God.

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='Rick777' post='1081226' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:03 PM']
The Eucharist is mentioned in the Bible :

John 6
35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.
&
39 and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day.
&
54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
[/quote]

No, you cannot use John 6. If you take John 6 literally everyone who takes communion according to verse 55 above has eternal life.

Do you believe that everyone who takes communion has eternal life?

Guest Rick777

Hmmm...I cannot use John 6? Is that somehow not part of the Holy Bible? :) Of course I believe everyone who recieves Holy Communion WORTHILY has eternal life.

Edited by Rick777

[quote name='Rick777' post='1081237' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:11 PM']
Hmmm...I cannot use John 6? Is that somehow not part of the Holy Bible? :)
[/quote]

If you take John 6 literally then you would have to say that everyone who takes communion has eternal life and I am assuming you would not agree with that based on the rest on scripture.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1081222' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:59 PM']
Does it bother any of you that the Eucharist is not mentioned in the Bible? Or are you okay with that just being Tradition?
[/quote]

[quote]Mark 14:22:
22As they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread and asked God's blessing on it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "Take it, for this is my body."[/quote]
Doesn't it bother you that it is? Or are you okay with it being Scriptural?

[quote]No, you cannot use John 6. If you take John 6 literally everyone who takes communion according to verse 55 above has eternal life.

Do you believe that everyone who takes communion has eternal life?[/quote]

He was clearly speaking lieterally when he said

For my flesh is[b] [i]meat indeed[/i][/b]: and my blood is [color="#FF0000"]drink indeed[/color].

56 Caro enim mea[i]v[b]ere est cibus[/b][/i]: et sanguis meus, [color="#FF0000"]vere est potus[/color].

57 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, [u]and I in him[/u].

57 Qui manducat meam carnem et bibit meum sanguinem, in me manet, [u]et ego in illo[/u].

Now you may say "Jesus said he was other things such as 'I am the light of the world: he that followeth me, walketh not in darkness, but shall have the light of life.' or 'Ego sum lux mundi : qui sequitur me, non ambulat in tenebris, sed habebit lumen vitæ.'"

well, Jesus Christ truly is the Light just as the Nicene Creed says "Deum de Deo, [color="#009900"]Lumen de Lumine[/color], Deum Verum de Deo Vero". Christ truly is the Light for He is God.

You may also say "Jesus said '7 Jesus therefore said to them again: Amen, amen I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All others, as many as have come, are thieves and robbers: and the sheep heard them not. 9 I am the door. By me, if any man enter in, he shall be saved: and he shall go in, and go out, and shall find pastures.' or '7 Dixit ergo eis iterum Jesus : Amen, amen dico vobis, quia ego sum ostium ovium. 8 Omnes quotquot venerunt, fures sunt, et latrones, et non audierunt eos oves. 9 Ego sum ostium. Per me si quis introierit, salvabitur : et ingredietur, et egredietur, et pascua inveniet.'

But you see, He acutally is the door (i. e. the way to heaven) and noone does get to heaven except through Him.

Jesus also said "11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd giveth his life for his sheep." and again in this instance he was saying tha He actually is a shepherd, the Shepherd of His Flock (i. e. the Catholic Church)

Jesus said "1 I am the true vine; and my Father is the husbandman." or "1 Ego sum vitis vera, et Pater meus agricola est." but the "vera" was describing the vine, how He is the Vine of Truth.

Our Lord said "5 I am the vine: you the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing. "

but in this case he was obviously speaking metaphorically.

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1081241' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:13 PM']
Doesn't it bother you that it is? Or are you okay with it being Scriptural?
[/quote]

I believe in the bread and wine being symbolic of Christ's sacrifice. "Do this in remembrance of me".

homeschoolmom

We remember His death at every Mass... We do it "in rememberance of" Him... that doesn't make it less truly the body and blood of Christ.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='SolaScriptura' post='1081247' date='Oct 1 2006, 08:19 PM']
I believe in the bread and wine being symbolic of Christ's sacrifice. "Do this in remembrance of me".
[/quote]

John 6 again:
56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."
59 This he said in the synagogue, as he taught at Caper'naum.
60 Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, "This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?"
61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at it, said to them, "Do you take offense at this?
62 Then what if you were to see the Son of man ascending where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
64 But there are some of you that do not believe." For Jesus knew from the first who those were that did not believe, and who it was that would betray him.
65 And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father." 66 After this many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him.
67 Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?"

Edited by Rick777

But Paul says in 1 Cor 11:27, "Whoever, therfore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord" Why would he say that if it wasn't actually Jesus' Body and Blood we were sharing in?

Fidei Defensor

Jesus also says that anyone who believes in him will have eternal life. Does that mean we can sin all we want and ignore Jesus so long as we "believe in" him?