An Old School Catholic Message Board

How St. Teresa Led Me Away From God As A Child.

Budge

Didn't you guys also know that Bl. Mother Theresa helped all those folks in Calcutta because she was demon possesed - she didn't actually hear Jesus speak to her!

May God have mercy on us all, when we judge the life of another.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Budge' post='1080713' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:23 AM']

She spoke often of God as bringing her suffering and how her suffering would save her. I
[/quote]

Maybe you should flip through the Book of Job. God allowed Job to suffer, even brought suffering upon him. Or is that a forbidden book in the Church of Budge, because it doesn't protray your impression of a nice God who brings children icecream and stuffed animals?

Edited by T-Bone

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]The problem is that Catholicism with its work based gospel teaches people to seek suffering for its own sake. This is done out of pride, and looking to oneself and one's own suffering for salvation.[/quote]

Actually, Catholics aren't taught to seek suffering for its own sake. When suffering [i]does[/i] come upon as, however - as it did when St Therese became ill - we are called to offer it in union with Jesus' death on the cross, to use it as a way of growing closer to Him. Suffering and pain do not have to be unbearable if you remember that you have such a glorious companion in Christ. St Paul himself wrote that he delighted in sufferings and difficulties for this very reason.

You seem to have some trouble with linguistic nuance. St Therese's remark about the flies can be paraphrased like this: "These inconsequential flies are the only enemies I've got. They're not worth worrying about." Even when she was in great pain, she counted herself blessed that she didn't have to face worse trials. She had attained such a level of peace and tranquillity that nothing had the power to wound her any more.

By the way, everybody, there is a film coming out about Therese's life! A friend sent me the link this morning:

www.theresemovie.com

Guest Rick777

[quote]By the way, everybody, there is a film coming out about Therese's life! A friend sent me the link this morning:

www.theresemovie.com
[/quote]

:blink: That movies been out for...a while now. I have the DVD. :idontknow:

Edited by Rick777

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1081153' date='Oct 1 2006, 09:03 PM']
Could you please provide EVIDENCE rather than OPINION that "a demon took over her life"? That is YOUR opinion. Any of us can MAKE UP our OWN OPINIONS as to what happens in the spiritual life of another... For EXAMPLE... I think that you were lead by a DEMON out of the CATHOLIC church into ATHEISM... THEN the demon lead you into the UU "church"... and then... a wolf in sheep's clothing (this demon) lead you into WHAT YOU THINK is the Truth... but it's just as Scripture warns of-- a wolf in sheep's clothing. You are being lead by an evil spirit... you have cut yourself off from the Church...

:yawn:
[/quote]
Budge: "I see your capitalization and raise you a text size increase."

:huh: did you just call HSmom "budge"? haha... anyway, budge has been asked not to use text size increases unless she does it consistently through her whole post ;)

I have read the Story of a Soul, and like many other before me, I found it extremely inspiring.

I can not even begin to discuss in a Christlike manner how thouroughly this post of yours sickens me Budge.

May the Holy Spirit lead you out of darkness and into His marvelous light.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1082190' date='Oct 2 2006, 05:18 PM']
:huh: did you just call HSmom "budge"? haha... anyway, budge has been asked not to use text size increases unless she does it consistently through her whole post ;)
[/quote]
No, I was imitating what Budge's response might be.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1082190' date='Oct 2 2006, 04:18 PM']
[/quote]
:topsy:

what more can I say? Everyone here has already spoken very highly of St. Therese and have proved her to be a [i]real saint[/i]. I just had to ask, Why do you believe in saints in the first place if your not going to trust the church in their decisions on WHO to canonize? You say you think she was not living and breathing for love, and you say she had a demonic influence on her life, that clearly shows that your opinion is that she is not a saint. Well if you disagree with the church's 'teaching' on saints, and disagree with their decisions made to canonize such a soul then you don't believe in saints in the first place. Accepting parts of the Catholic teaching means accpeting ALL of the Catholic teaching, if not then that's not concidered being Catholic. I don't even know if you are Catholic or not -Budge (though my time here I think I've drawn my own conclusion that you are not.) I just thought I would post about it nonetheless. Everyone here defending St. Therese did so beautifully, for in reading the book myself I clearly saw her holiness and sincerity, her humility and her love. Call me ignorant call me weak for interpreting her life that way it's been done before, but I love St. Therese as most of us do and set her as my example. God Bless you.
uruviel.

Edited by uruviel

toledo_jesus

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1080845' date='Oct 1 2006, 03:16 PM']
Oh, I thought this was about St. Theresa (of Avila... Benedicta of the Cross etc.) but it's about St. Therese... Okay... procede....
[/quote]
me too. :sweat:

Thy Geekdom Come

In Budge's defense, "St. Teresa of the Child Jesus" is the way it is written in the prayers of the Church. ;)

Edited by Raphael