An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Conflict Of Our Time...

Lounge Daddy

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am sticking with my theory. I still can only see a similarity with teh decent of the Dark Ages when bands of heathens overtook the Roman Empire. They were not tied to any nation either.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1091172' date='Oct 13 2006, 10:20 PM']
I am sticking with my theory. I still can only see a similarity with teh decent of the Dark Ages when bands of heathens overtook the Roman Empire. They were not tied to any nation either.
[/quote]
Nation states did not exist then. That is why they weren't tied to any nation. ^_^

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1080206' date='Sep 30 2006, 01:05 PM']
I am soooo tired of hearing Vietnam brought up constantly – even today – on (what is left of) Air America radio and like-minded leftist media … I don’t fathom their “head-in-the-sand” worldview.
As time moves on in this war, I tend to think the ‘Nam bit is not holding water… but maybe I'm wrong.

What do you think?
[/quote]
Depends on what you mean by comparable, there are so many aspects that could be compared.

a couple ways it is [b]not[/b] comparable: A lib got us into Vietnam and a Republican got us out. We lost almost 10 times the soldiers in Vietnam than Iraq.

One way that this [b]is[/b] comparable is the one-sided media coverage portraying everything as a defeat. Only the negatives reach us back home. :ohno:

The conflict in our time is the Devil. Evil.

always has been, always will be...

He just manifests himself differently thoughout the ages.

Please people....

How long did it take the USA to settle down into a stable form of government??????

about 89 years (1776-1865).

Now we are throwing a fit because some stoneage Islamic culture can't settle things out in three years!?! The fact they have met and decided on a government is a miracle.

How long did we have to keep troops in Japan, S. Korea, and Germany after hostilities officially ended??? We still havent left their either!!!

Iraq is comparable in many ways to both and yet in other ways it nothing like either.

I agree that the Phillipine Insurrection after the Spanish American war is very comparable to what were doing in Iraq.

Also, the war with the Barbary Pirates during the Presidency of Thomas Jefferson is another excellent parallel.

Regarding Vietnam, we brought the conflict on ourselves through political debacles prior to our actual military involvement. Ho Chih Min was supported by the US in his fight against the Chinese. His primary goal was simply a unified Vietnam. When we turned our back on him, he turned to communism to accomplish his goal, so no Vietnam was not entirely about communism.

We as a nation are fighting in Iraq in a much different manner than in Vietnam. The strategy does not change with the political wind in Iraq as it did in Vietnam.

Talk to people that have recently been in Iraq, up close and personal. You will see a picture painted for you that is VERY different from what you see on TV or in the paper.

I'll be quite honest with you, few things make me as angry as the leftist rhetoric regarding Iraq. I'll stop now, I'm getting hot under the collar...

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1084185' date='Oct 4 2006, 06:43 PM']
I don't see ANY similarities. Iraq was defying UN sanctions imposed after losing their invasion of Kuwait. Cuba was struggling for independence admist political chaos in Spain. The destruction of the World Trade Center by islamic terrorists does not compare to the destruction of the USS Maine by unknown means (a mine or an accident).
[/quote]
Not Cuba, the Philippines. Black Jack Pershing made his bones there. Chesty Puller, too. Read up on it, it was something we inherited from the Spanish but it was not related to Cuba or the Maine.

why debate this topic... ??? seems pointless. who cares what the current conflict is comparable. it only matters that we recognize our responsibility to do all we can to prevent such conflicts (i am not advocating a policy of being pansies in the face of blatant disregard for international justice). These things are a consequence of original sin and the profoundly wounded nature of man.