An Old School Catholic Message Board

Assistant Suicide

Emotion

I suffer everyday as well with my medical and psyc problems. I'm saying, is that when death is immenant, instead of just watching me. And saying.. oh its all for teh best. Kill me.

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1085561' date='Oct 6 2006, 02:09 PM']
I suffer everyday as well with my medical and psyc problems. I'm saying, is that when death is immenant, instead of just watching me. And saying.. oh its all for teh best. Kill me.
[/quote]
[size=1]Death is never immenant, God can choose to take us whenever it is our time.
That we can never really tell.
[/size]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1085561' date='Oct 6 2006, 03:09 PM']
[/quote]
That would be murder.

Rire & Amour

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1085517' date='Oct 6 2006, 10:35 AM']
[size=1]Well, all I can say is that God will judge us on what we know about his commandments and how well we follow them, not how well we follow our own opinions.
[/size]
[/quote]

YAY CLAIRE

:notworthy2:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1085591' date='Oct 6 2006, 04:25 PM']
Je sais. But my stance stays the same... and my father's.
[/quote]
But not your Father's.

Groo the Wanderer

Actually, there is one form of suicide that I do support and hold dear to my heart...

:ninja:

It's awesome to walk into your local 7-11....

:disguise:

Grab a Big Gulp cup.....and mix ALL the drink flavors together!!! If you want an EXTREME suicide...add a shot of each of the coffee syrups too! YUM! :shock: :wacko: :sweat:

I suffer everyday of my life. I am in pain, and face numerous physical barriers to daily living. I thank God for every day that I am alive. The universe is a beautiful place, and I want to remain in it for as long as possible.

Any day spent above ground is a good one.

[size=1]Im glad you are nowhere near desertwoman RC!
Cause she might kill you! :love:

OOPS, i mean, show you mercy. :rolleyes:
[/size]

Edited by CrossCuT

desert,
I know you are learning about catholicism. The following excerpts from their Catechism illuminates some of the points made here. It acknowledges the need to prevent or alleviate needless suffering, but puts a clear limit at intentionally causing a death as being a tremendous affront against Life, which is a gift from God. Needless suffering is an affront as well. In the case of suicide, the Catechism does acknowledge that torture, etc., diminishes the responsiblity. I could not bring myself to kill you if you were burning, but it would be an agonizing struggle because I would also want to alleviate and end your suffering. I've held the hand of a loved one and had many a long talk as they've died in great pain and mental discomfort from cancer. At least in that case, I could offer some comfort and share their pain. If they were on fire, death is much more imminent and I could not offer any comfort. I pray to God I never would have to face that challenge which makes the evil of the WTC even more horrendous.
NE-way, here's some catechism excerpts to mull over.

[quote]2299 The dying should be given attention and care to help them live their last moments in dignity and peace. They will be helped by the prayer of their relatives, who must see to it that the sick receive at the proper time the sacraments that prepare them to meet the living God.
2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
2277 Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick, or dying persons. It is morally unacceptable.
2279 Even if death is thought imminent, the ordinary care owed to a sick person cannot be legitimately interrupted. The use of painkillers to alleviate the sufferings of the dying, even at the risk of shortening their days, can be morally in conformity with human dignity if death is not willed as either an end or a means, but only foreseen and tolerated as inevitable Palliative care is a special form of disinterested charity. As such it should be encouraged.

2258 "Human life is sacred because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being."56
2324 Intentional euthanasia, whatever its forms or motives, is murder. It is gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator.
2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment. [/quote]
Edit to add:
Reading back over what I wrote, I think I came up with a possible solution. I'd try to knock you out so you'd be unconcious and not feel the pain. If I hit you too hard, my intent would not be to kill you or shorten your life, just make you unconcious of the pain.

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1085632' date='Oct 6 2006, 03:47 PM']
[size=1]Im glad you are nowhere near desertwoman RC!
Cause she might kill you! :love:

OOPS, i mean, show you mercy. :rolleyes:
[/size]
[/quote]That's a nasty thing to say because it's not accurate. Pleae read all the posts. desertwoman has made a clear distinction between suicide/killing of the ill and being in great agony from being burned to death.

Edited by Anomaly