An Old School Catholic Message Board

Assistant Suicide

Emotion

I want to know the resons why people believe in this. Or if there is somebody on here who believes in it I was wandering if we could have a private conversation about it on AIM or MSN?

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1079588' date='Sep 29 2006, 05:45 PM']
I don't want my Assistant to commit suicide and I wouldn't appriciate anybody assiting them either.
[/quote]

:lol:

If there is anybody who believes in it I would be interested in talking to him or her and finding out why as well. Actually, if anybody here believes in suicide in any form being ok I would love to have a conversation. Just pm me and I'll figure out how we can have the conversation.

personaly. I see it as mercy. If i'm suffering and there is no hope, please have mercy upon me and kill me.... please.

Like if i'm engulfed in flames, you have a gun. Shot me please! Don't allow me to suffer a fate like that. Please!

Vox Clamantis in Deserto....
I love that saying....

But I think the voice of one crying out in the desert would be saying not to comitt suicide.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1080439' date='Sep 30 2006, 10:42 PM']
personaly. I see it as mercy. If i'm suffering and there is no hope, please have mercy upon me and kill me.... please.

Like if i'm engulfed in flames, you have a gun. Shot me please! Don't allow me to suffer a fate like that. Please!
[/quote]
I'm certain you'd prefer the flames of this world to the flames of the next.

Assuming the other requirements for mortal sin, asking for euthanasia will most certainly get you the flames of the next.

No one may take the life of another...for any reason. There is no mercy in it at all. It is merciful to allow you to die the way God has planned, since following His plan will lead you most surely to heaven.

We can ease the pain, though.

suffering is good, it has a point, and to desire to avoid it by ending one's life is sinful. such a person will assuredly, whether they go to heaven or hell, receive at least as much suffering upon their death than they would have gone through if they stayed alive. suffering has meaning, purpose, it strengthens and perfects us.

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1080439' date='Sep 30 2006, 09:42 PM']

[/quote]

:no:
[size=1]Nobody is better off dead.
[/size]

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1080597' date='Oct 1 2006, 03:17 AM']suffering is good, it has a point, and to desire to avoid it by ending one's life is sinful. such a person will assuredly, whether they go to heaven or hell, receive at least as much suffering upon their death than they would have gone through if they stayed alive. suffering has meaning, purpose, it strengthens and perfects us.[/quote]
Your absolutely right, just to clarify one point, suffering has meaning, but strictly speaking, suffering is not "good". Suffering is a great natural evil. But, in the sense you mean, suffering is "good" not in itself, but because it is an opportunity for sacrifical love.

I just couldnt do it man. Look at the situation at the WTC. IF the people stayed in the flames willingly, then that would be suicide. If they jumped, then that would be suicide. Personaly, I would just jump and have my family be able to bury me instead of my body being ashes. Both would be suicide.

MissScripture

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1080873' date='Oct 1 2006, 02:48 PM']
I just couldnt do it man. Look at the situation at the WTC. IF the people stayed in the flames willingly, then that would be suicide. If they jumped, then that would be suicide. Personaly, I would just jump and have my family be able to bury me instead of my body being ashes. Both would be suicide.
[/quote]
Considering the towers collapsed, I don't think that your family would have been able to bury you very easily, either way.

There is grace that comes with suffering. As my parents tell us whenever we complain about something "Offer it up." And, while I've never been severly burned or something like that, any time I am in sever pain or under sever stress, I have discovered that it definitely brings me closer to God, because I know that He's the only one who can take the pain from me (which isn't to say that He wants me to suffer or anything of that sort) or give me the strength to get through it.

Edited by MissScripture

I'm talking about, there is no way out. Like worse case scenario ie WTC. I"m going to die anyway, you know it, I know it, so why not show me mercy and put me out of my misery? :( Don't watch me agnoize and writh in pain, do something! Show some kind of mercy to me, and put me out of my misery.

Edited by desertwoman