An Old School Catholic Message Board

Democracy Is A Tool Of Satan

Resurrexi

Do you hate democracy?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not sure I agree on this point. In a completely Catholic country, that employed the principle of not allowing falsehood to be a factor in persuading government, how is it necessarily a bad thing? I think essentially democracy is a less effective model of government than is commonly thought. But I don't think it would be considered evil if used in a Catholic country. How is it evil, or sinful, to have differing opinions on non-salvific matters and to choose the leader who best fits this?

[quote]Americanism is a term for a heresy, or rather a series of related heresies, that were thought to have been held by many members of the Roman Catholic church in the United States of America around the turn of the 20th century. In essence, the label was mainly applied to American bishops by bishops and popes from other countries.
[edit]

Dogmatic/Theological aspect

[b]The Americanist heresy is defined as the endorsement of what were thought to be anti-Catholic principles embraced by the United States: absolute freedom of the press, liberalism, individualism, complete separation of church and state, etc. These were condemned by the popes of the time.[/b] The most notable and concise condemnation was in the Syllabus of Errors of Pope Pius IX.[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanism_(heresy)"]LINK[/url]

Think Rome supports things like Democracy, freedom, etc, THINK AGAIN.

[quote name='Budge' post='1079726' date='Sep 29 2006, 08:32 PM']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanism_(heresy)"]LINK[/url]

Think Rome supports things like Democracy, freedom, etc, THINK AGAIN.
[/quote]
This article is about the construct of a society in regard to liberties. Democracy is a form of government. This article does not say the Catholic Church was against democracy. :rolleyes:

The label describes the dangers of unbridled freedoms. When America or any other country bases their freedom on rights absent God and natural law, they lead themselves down a dangerous road. Example: Abortion. Do you believe is such a thing as "abortion rights"?

It's also understandable the popes of the time to be wary of America. Members of the KKK, predominately and philosophically tied to Protestantism, were busy marching against, harassing, and beating Catholics.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1079657' date='Sep 29 2006, 07:12 PM']
I believe that Democracy is errored and evil in itself, and I have a right to hold that opinion becuase it is not against Church teaching.
[/quote]

And you replied to my points....how? You didn't support your belief at all, all you did is claim your right to hold such a belief, only possible because you live in a democracy. Otherwise government agents would be monitering this thread and you would already be in custody, no longer to reply even with pointless comments like that one.

Even in monarchies such as the UK and Spain you can trash monarchy. Also, I'm not saying that you have to believe Democracy is evil and errored in itself, and I really don't think you're in error or anything if you don't think so, I'm just saying that it's not a sin for me to believe Democracy is evil

I'd rather pick the people who run our country. That way, you know what this person stands for and you have a say in what kind of policies are enacted. With a monarchy you could have a really good person and ruler but the next heir could be a total tyrant. you would never have a say.

There are some kings who still turned corrupt or who were morons. You have those in any system of govn't. I'd rather have our good old American system. Besides, the monarchy in England is seen as a symbol more than anything else. It's the Prime Minister and the Parliament who make the crucial decisions.

Also, how would you know if God was calling someone to be king?

Because He chose them to be born into the Royal Family, duh. Kings are obviously the most obvioulsy divinely selected office (after the Popes) becuase humans have not control who they are.

Edited by StThomasMore

You have no power to say I'm wrong... only the Church has power to say anyone is wrong. Outside offocial Church Dogma (Faith and Morals), Teaching (Faith, Morals and Dicipline), and any Public Revalation, there is no offocial right and wrong, just personal opinion. So I can't say you're wrong and you can't say I'm wrong.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1080295' date='Sep 30 2006, 04:23 PM']
You have no power to say I'm wrong... only the Church has power to say anyone is wrong. Outside offocial Church Dogma (Faith and Morals), Teaching (Faith, Morals and Dicipline), and any Public Revalation, there is no offocial right and wrong, just personal opinion. So I can't say you're wrong and you can't say I'm wrong.
[/quote]

2+2=5

I don't think the Church has ever made a statement about the above equation, but I hope we can still agree that it's wrong. :D: