An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Does Repent Mean?

homeschoolmom

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Winchester' post='1103807' date='Oct 28 2006, 10:16 PM']
Behold! I have given this thread new life.
I realize that I constitute a threat to rational discourse.
[/quote]

Seriously, how are you so funny!?

Regarding the question at hand... :sadder: :weep:

Obviously, for a living person, repentance is a process. The Bible shows a cyclic pattern wit hthe history of the people of God, and it gives us good example and a cause to avoid despair, for if an entire people can turn from Him even when they are favored, and then return, then certainly a single man may turn and return.

What's the point, Budge? Most English speakers know what "repent" means.

---------------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

To acknowledge the wrong done, one's guilt for it, to resolve not to do it again, and to desire to make amends to God and to anyone who you injured.

In the OT two words are regularly translated 'repent' or some near equivalent- [i]naham [/i] ('be sorry, change one's mind') and [i]sub[/i] (in the sense, 'turn back, return').

In the NT the words translated 'repent' are [i]metanoeo[/i] and [i]metamelomai[/i]. In Greek they usually mean 'to change one's mind,' and so also 'to regret, feel remorse.'

...the NT usage is much more influenced by the OT [i]sub[/i]; that is, repentance not just as a feeling sorry , for changing one's mind, but as a turning round, [u]a complete alteration of the basic motivation and direction of one's life.[/u] This is why the best translation for [i]metanoeo[/i] is often 'to convert,' that is, 'to turn round.'

--from the New Bible Dictionary

Edited by mulls