An Old School Catholic Message Board

Looking For Bible Quote

Winchester

Look if you dont believe in the Bible, I cant help you.

That is a faith issue, your rejection of Gods Word.

Edited by Budge

The Holy Spirit is really the one that has the power to deal with your lack of faith and rejection of Gods Word.

All I can do is plant seeds and expose works of darkness.

But you can't give me the quote you use from the Bible to prove you can use Only the Bible.

I might disagree, but at least give it to me and debate. If you won't, then come out and say so.

[size=2]Pr 25:2
¶ It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter[/size]

God has hidden the truth from the unwise...

john 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Anyhow none of you understand what Sola Scripture really is...

you mean it to say the BIBLE is EVERYTHING, we mean it to say that the BIBLE IS SUFFICIENT.
[size=2][u][b]
The church is not to judge the bible, but the bible the church.[/b][/u][/size]

Just another Strawman floated by Catholics.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1078276' date='Sep 28 2006, 06:53 PM']
¶ It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter[/size]

john 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

you mean it to say the BIBLE is EVERYTHING, we mean it to say that the BIBLE IS SUFFICIENT.
[size=2][u][b]

[/quote]

How is the Bible sufficient? I assume that by "sufficient," you mean that you don't need Tradition. If the Bible was sufficient, there wouldn't be thousands of disagreeing "Bible Christians" wandering the countryside.

Edited by Raphael

I believe the Bible is sufficient. I believe that using the Bible alone that I can prove the validity of the Catholic Church.

I believe that using the Bible alone I can prove the divinity of Christ and the Ressurection.

It is sufficient.

But it is not alone.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1078258' date='Sep 28 2006, 05:46 PM']
All we ask for is a quote from the Bible that proves that that the Bible is the sole authority.

As we used to say as kids, "Put up or shut up."
[/quote]

She can do neither, sadly.....

As you all know, the Bible says no such thing. It actually says just the opposite, in many many places.

As you all know, Budge will continue to dodge the question.

As you all know, she will post something later tonight or tomorrow along the lines of "why do you evil Catholics support the interbreeding of snails and chipmunks?"

Let's pose a hypothetical here:

There's a college professor, the only expert in a particular field, he writes a text book. He also give lectures, as professors are wont to do. He has students who listen to his lectures. Someone who has never heard the professor speak reads his book.

Some years later, the professor retires. One of the professor's students decides to lecture on his own. He has notes taken from the lecture. The person who merely read the text also lectures. Out of these two, who is the more qualified authority?

[quote name='Budge' post='1078276' date='Sep 28 2006, 06:53 PM']

[size=2][u][b]

[/quote]

But the Bible came from the Church, it doesn't stand alone and never did, except to those who insist on private interpretation and folly. For private interpretation simply means everyones opinion is equally valid.
And if you beleive that, then your opinion is no more important than anyone elses. And if your opinion is no more important than mine,
we recognize you have no authority to assert your version over anyone, so why are you here.
Or do you think your opinion is better than the mormons, methodists, calvinists, or anglicans?

[quote]
Some years later, the professor retires. One of the professor's students decides to lecture on his own. He has notes taken from the lecture. The person who merely read the text also lectures. Out of these two, who is the more qualified authority?[/quote]

Like I havent heard this one before.

:rolleyes:

Ok Mr. Game of Telephone, tell me one ORAL TRADITION, now taught by Rome, that is Not in the Bible, that is necessary for a Christian.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1078288' date='Sep 28 2006, 07:01 PM']
Amazing what happens when people chuck the Bible over board for oral traditions and old wives tales.
[/quote]
Strawman fallacy. No one ever threw the Bible overboard.