An Old School Catholic Message Board

So How's The Pope Doing?

Jaime

The USCCB isnt the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, therefore, they don't have the authority to change the GIRM.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1080678' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:36 AM']
I don't think the USCCB had authority to change the GIRM, so therefore, string instruments and percussion are litrugically abusive at mass, and therefore, it is mortally sinful to have percussion or string instruments at Mass.
[/quote]
If you're right, then it sounds like it's better to avoid mass than to participate in the USCCB's mortal sin.

MissScripture

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' post='1080512' date='Oct 1 2006, 01:06 AM']
I think we need to realize that from our own points of view, we might see needs for changes, and we could say "the problem with the mass is that's its not in Latin, or the problem with the mass is the guitars, or the problem with the mass is that cantor, man she's horrible, or the problem with the mass is there is no coffee afterwards, or the problem with the mass is girl servers, or the problem with the mass is..." My point is that there are so many things which need attention that the Pope guided by the Holy Spirit must work in accordance to what he sees in the Church. He is the Pope and what we see as needing to be fixed first, may not be what needs to be fixed first.

*clink, clink* 2 cents
[/quote]
To add on to that, some of this is the responsibility of the bishops and individual priests. The Pope does not have some sort of magic ability to know what is going on everywhere all the time.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1080841' date='Oct 1 2006, 02:13 PM']
How do you know what authority has or has not been given to the USCCB?
[/quote]

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1080877' date='Oct 1 2006, 02:51 PM']
How do [i]you?[/i]
[/quote]
I did not claim to have such knowledge. I just suggested that you don't either.

[quote name='Budge' post='1080700' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:11 AM']

[img]http://www.piusxiipope.info/pope18.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

can we just discuss how flippin sweet this papal tiera is? :drool:

how appropriate that earthly vicar of christ, who is of course the king of kings, lord of lords and Prince of the Heavenly Host, wears a crown in honor of the true Head of the Body of Christ :saint:

yay popes ^_^

/end hijack

and i think Pope Benedict has certainly proceeded under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and since He blows where He will, it is only appropriate that stuff everyone "thought" would happen has not since mere humans cannot comprehend the infinite wisdom of God.

and the entire summation of the problems of modern society are explained and solved in Deus Caritas Est. remember, "in the end, only one thing remains...."

[quote]
how appropriate that earthly vicar of christ, who is of course the king of kings, lord of lords and Prince of the Heavenly Host, wears a crown in honor of the true Head of the Body of Christ saint.gif

yay popes happy.gif[/quote]

Kind of deviates from the supposed first 'Pope"

"Silver and gold, I have none"

[quote]I did not claim to have such knowledge. I just suggested that you don't either.[/quote]

OK, well it's my opinion that they don't.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Budge' post='1081070' date='Oct 1 2006, 05:51 PM']
Kind of deviates from the supposed first 'Pope"

"Silver and gold, I have none"
[/quote]

Whats supposed about him? Oh thats right...your a heretic. :rolleyes:

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1081206' date='Oct 1 2006, 09:39 PM']
OK, well it's my opinion that they don't.
[/quote]
However, just because it's your opinion doesn't make it truth. Not that I'm saying it's not, I'm saying that if it is, it isn't because you think that way.

Edited by avemaria40

That's true... I just speculate that it's unlikely that the Pope would give the Magisterial authority to a group of Bishops to change the Rubrics of the Mass.

Personally, I'm disappointed that the plunge in price of German beer never occured!

(And, FarsightOne, German beer totally beats Guiness!)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1080678' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:36 AM']
I don't think the USCCB had authority to change the GIRM, so therefore, string instruments and percussion are litrugically abusive at mass, and therefore, it is mortally sinful to have percussion or string instruments at Mass.
[/quote]
If you're right, then attending a guitar mass is participating in a mortal sin.

But of course, the vatican can't keep it's bishops from not marrying, can't get them to follow civil laws for sexual predators, and can't get the bishops on the same page regarding supporting politicians supporting abortion. I don't think any pope is gonna be able to fix any of those issues in the catholic denomination.

toledo_jesus

I am eminently satisfied with the pope's work regarding Islam.
I would like to see definitive statements on the Novus Ordo and its proper implementation.
I think Pope Benedict will be a good force for unity among the West and East.