An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fundamentalism

NewReformation

NewReformation

Well, it's a good question, what is "Fundamentalism?" The fact is, there's no easy answer. There are many different types of Christian fundamentalists. Most often tho, it's attached to conservative evangalical Christians. The movement known as Fundamentalism arose during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was started by conservative evangelical Christians in a reaction to modernism. It ws their goal to separate Christianity from modernism by creating a list of barebone fundamentals to which a person must ascribe to be considered Christian(much like the Nicene Creed). During the early to mid 20th century, the movement took on more of a separatist position on many things. Such as abstinence from alchohol, distinct dress between the sexes, etc. Most Fundamentalists strongly oppose the Catholic Church for theological reasons, and also oppose liberal Christianity. Fundamentalists tend to take a fairly literal view of Scripture, particularly concerning the book of Genesis. They tend to see the world in black and white, and everything falls into one of those categories. Some fundamentalists do see a spectrum of gray. There are four basic beliefs that identify one as a Fundamentalist:
1. The belief in inerrancy of Scripture. Every word of Scripture is the Word of God, and none of it is mythological or factually errant.
2. Evangalicism, or the belief in the duty to spread the Gospel.
3. The belief in a conversion experience, or being reborn into God's family.
4. The belief that the book of Revelation describes the events that must happen in order for God's plan to be fulfilled.

Of course, this really only applies to Non-Catholic Fundamentalists.

Now, bear in mind, that I am a Southern Baptist. I come from an Independent Baptist background, and have spent time in a Mennonite Church. I consider myself a "young fundamentalist." Which is an entirely new movement among Fundamentalism(particularly IFB's). But that's another thread.

NewReformation

[quote name='Era Might' post='1077838' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:43 AM']
What are we debating? :)
[/quote]

What a fundamentalist is. :P: Err...make that "Non-Catholic Fundamentalist."

NewReformation

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1077848' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:52 AM']
My personal fav is that every word in the bible must be taken literally.
[/quote]
No, not that every word must be taken literally...but must be taken literally as being the word of God.

Example: The four Gospels contain absolute facts about the ministry of Christ on earth. It is the Word of God. All of Christ's words must be taken literally...except when He is speaking figuratively, where one must look for the deeper meaning. But still, those words are literally the Word of God, but they just contain a deeper meaning.

Another example: The Book of Revelation is literally the Word of God, but not every Word must be taken literally at face vaule. The Book of Revelation is very figurative, which Fundamentalists recognize. So the deeper meaning is sought.

Don't misunderstand "the words must be taken literally" and "the words are literally the Word of God."

See now we gots a debate.

There are fundamentalists who believe that every word should be taken in its literal form. Jehovah Witnesses come to mind.

:lol:

NewReformation

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1077855' date='Sep 28 2006, 11:00 AM']

There are fundamentalists who believe that every word should be taken in its literal form. Jehovah Witnesses come to mind.
[/quote]
Well, since they aren't Christians, they don't count. :P:

Groo the Wanderer

[/quote]

Wow...Better watch out for the fat, liver, and entrails from Leviticus the next time they come-a-knocking on my door :lol_roll: :lol_roll: :drool: :drool:

The five original points of Protestant fundamentalism were:

[quote]1. Verbal inerrancy of the Scripture.

2. Christ's deity and virgin birth.

3. The substitutionary atonement.

4. The bodily physical resurrection of Christ.

5. The bodily return of Christ.[/quote]

[quote name='NewReformation' post='1077859' date='Sep 28 2006, 11:05 AM']
Well, since they aren't Christians, they don't count. :P:
[/quote]

Well that's kind of a slippery slope. I know of a lot of Christians who believe that I wasn't because I was Catholic. Exactly what parameters are you putting on Christian. And who qualifies to make that discernment?

JW's do not believe Jesus is God.

Actually, as it was told to me by a JW, they believe Jesus is Michael the Archangel.

They do not believe that God is triune, which is an essential dogma of the Christian faith. Really, it's THE essential dogma of the Christian faith that makes it the Christian faith.

Even Muslims believe in Jesus as a prophet. But what distinguishes Christians and Muslims (and Christians and JWs) is our belief in Jesus as the second person of the Holy Trinity.

Justified Saint

Some may find this thread helpful: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=57166&hl="]Defining Fundamentalism[/url]

There are fundamentalists who believe that every word should be taken in its literal form. :lol:
[/quote]

Except:
[quote] "48 I am the bread of life. 49Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

52Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

53Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." 59He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. [/quote]