An Old School Catholic Message Board

Words Only Have One Usage

Winchester

It turns out that all people use the same word in the same way.

Further, if you explain your usage and it disagrees with this one way, you are either insane or a liar.

Another exciting philosophical development brought to you from Budge!

No actually more double-mindedness, most of what you post here is either a joke or makes no sense.

Edited by Budge

Where's my only?

And it's not my philosophy that words only apply as you choose to apply them. You've rejected people's usage of words and applied your own.

And you haven't provided me my only.

Because it doesn't exist.

[quote]Where's my only?
[size=4]
And it's not my philosophy that words only apply as you choose to apply them. You've rejected people's usage of words and applied your own.[/size]

And you haven't provided me my only.

Because it doesn't exist.[/quote]

English please.

Satan is the author of confusion.

And I know that is your goal...some of his best deceivers love to deny the implicit meaning of words.

Wow, you know my heart. I'm impressed. Dear child, if my goal were confusion, I wouldn't speak to you. You're already confused.

Translated:

I'm not the one who believes words have one definition. I am not the one who rejected a definition and put my own to make a person's sentence mean what I wanted it to mean.

I'm sorry my sentence was complex. It was in English.

And it should have been: "English, please." If you're going tro stall for time with grammar attacks, then please be MaryPoppinsish enough to use your commas.

Where's my only?

So you're the English teacher?

I havent seen us have any debates about synonyms yet or definitions of words. This is your typical diversionary tactics. I already recognize you as the board class clown whose main aim is to divert, deflect and deny.

[img]http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pictures/weasel.jpg[/img]

What word are you debating anyway? or are you just blowing more hot diversionary air?

Fidei Defensor

Simple solution: we define our terms if they seem confusing to the opposing party.

Budge, please stop telling us that we are stalling or trying to change the topic when you do the exact same thing. What are you doing right now? You are not addressing the topic at hand which is that you define words on your own terms, instead of the intended meaning, so you can pick apart the argument which you created. That's called a strawman. If you don't stick to the definition intended by the person, then you are creating a false argument under your terms and attacking it.

If you are going to debate, please be intellectually honest. If you are unsure of a term and what it is being defined as, please ask the person instead of accusing them of being a pawn of satan and purposely trying to be confusing. You do realize that the level of grammar and language that people use isn't necesarily at the same level as you apparently claim to have? Please don't jump to conclusions all the time, people aren't necesarily trying to be confusing.

This thread had no real topic but I think a perfect title for it could have been.
[size=5]
"what the meaning of the word 'is' is. [/size]

Edited by Budge

NewReformation

[quote name='Budge' post='1074050' date='Sep 24 2006, 06:50 PM']
This thread had no real topic but I think a perfect title for it could have been.
[size=5]
[/quote]
And your point would be what precisely?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Budge' post='1074050' date='Sep 24 2006, 06:50 PM']
[size=5]
[/quote]
Do you or do you not define words by your own definition?

Please, be honest.

I wish words did have only one meaning, and that I was the person who determined what that meaning was.

Law school would be a heckuva lot easier.

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1074109' date='Sep 24 2006, 06:40 PM']
I wish words did have only one meaning, and that I was the person who determined what that meaning was.

Law school would be a heckuva lot easier.
[/quote]
Isn't that part of what lawyers are paid to do? ;)

[quote]
And your point would be what precisely?[/quote]

I forget Im surrounded by a bunch of teenagers who were probably only 10 years old when this statement became famous and probably not up on current events.

[url="http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=%22what+the+meaning+of+the+word+%27is%27+is.+&btnG=Google+Search"]THE ORIGIN OF THIS STATEMENT--YOULL GET WHAT I MEANT THEN...[/url]

NewReformation

[quote name='Budge' post='1074120' date='Sep 24 2006, 07:51 PM']
I forget Im surrounded by a bunch of teenagers who were probably only 10 years old when this statement became famous and probably not up on current events.

[url="http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=%22what+the+meaning+of+the+word+%27is%27+is.+&btnG=Google+Search"]THE ORIGIN OF THIS STATEMENT--YOULL GET WHAT I MEANT THEN...[/url]
[/quote]
No, I got what you meant. I'm just not sure how it related to the discussion. Different words have different meanings among different groups of people. Example: At one point in time, "bad" not only mean "bad/wrong/naughty," but also meant "good/awesome" among certain groups of people(mostly teenagers and young adults).

BTW-I'm not a teenager. Why don't you bother to learn a little about a person before you start making snide comments about them. :cool: