An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers For Discerners In Australia....

bmb144

[quote name='JamesTheYounger' post='1077726' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:42 PM']
I agree it does look like Australian religious orders are in a bad way.
I pray that, particularly, Blessed Mary Mackillop's Brown Josephites return to wearing the habit and gain young aspirants.

But i do think there is a lot of hope, in the outskirts of Sydney there are the Tyburn nuns, have a look at their page they seem pretty cool.
[url="http://www.tyburnconvent.org.uk/monasteries/australia/australia.html"]http://www.tyburnconvent.org.uk/monasterie.../australia.html[/url]

I really believe that for the religious orders to take off as we would love, Australia must prioritise those who have priestly vocations as having good and holy priests is a necessity, without which we could not have anything!

After that happens, then the religious life in this country will have support and I doubt that religious orders can really thrive without the support of good and holy priests.

I recently met some Dominican nuns from Wagga, NSW and they are inspiring, being of the younger generation I have never met orthodox religious sisters in habits.
It was so great for me to meet them, they are articulate, intelligent, witty and oh so holy.

Thankyou for your prayers Americans, and Belinda, I'll be praying for your discernment and vocation
[/quote]

Hi there,

Yes, I do know about Tyburn, I'm an Oblate (Postulant) with them and I am in active discernment with them.

I've also contacted the sisters at Wagga Wagga and will wait and see.....I still think I'm too old for them.

Tyburn will accept women up to 50 :D: , the sisters at Wagga's website says 30 and I am 30 right now.

[quote]I really believe that for the religious orders to take off as we would love, Australia must prioritise those who have priestly vocations as having good and holy priests is a necessity, without which we could not have anything![/quote]

I'm sorry but here I do not agree.....we have great Priests and many young men are starting to open themselves back up to hear the call. The problem is within the orders themselves.

To "borrow" a term from my past....we need a revival :drool: :lol: and until the sisters change their view of themselves young women will not want to have all that much to do with them.

Thank you for your prayers.......goodness knows I need them :) .
Belinda

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1078013' date='Sep 29 2006, 06:17 AM']
When I made my first visit to [url="http://www.carmelite.org.uk/Quidenham.html"]Quidenham Carmel[/url] I met an Australian nun called Sister Helen who had left her country for the sake of entering Carmel. When I asked her why she hadn't just chosen an Australian monastery, she replied, "Carmel isn't very vibrant over in Australia and in any case I felt that my vocation lay overseas."

Perhaps restoring and rejuvenating the religious life in Australia will be part of your calling. Perhaps you will have to be like Sister Helen and quite literally 'put out into the deep'. I'll pray for you.

Memtherose, do you - and here I pray for a minor miracle - live in Tauranga or anywhere near Tauranga? If not, do you know a good orthodox Catholic who lives there? I ask this because I have a penfriend who is extremely interested in becoming a Catholic. She lives in that city and she could do with some help.
[/quote]
Hi! I do not live in Tauranga, but I am about two hours north. I know a VERY orthodox priest down there though. PM me as I would love to help!!

JamesTheYounger

Yeah, it would be awesome if we had a nun as courageous as Mother Angelica to shake things up here.
I find it really annoying, at my parish there are a number of religious sisters who attend daily mass (i prefer not to go to my parish during the week because it is so lukewarm), there are Dominicans and Sisters of Charity, all of them are unhabited.
I find it so frustrating, the only way I know who are religious and who are grandmothers is by asking my grandma.
For me its annoying cos i want to give religious the respect they deserve, if they wore habits i would know that they are brides of christ and I would show greater respect toward them and address them as sister.
I would also be more interested to talk to them about discernment and the faith.

Whenever I do talk to them, a question that is always burning in me, is why they have discarded the habit?
I really think it would be rude to ask, especially because I know I will use a tone that infers that they should be wearing it.
Would it be rude of me to ask that and would it be possible for aged religious sisters, who live in ordinary houses with small numbers of sisters, to return to wearing the habit anyway?
Also i think they should see that if they arent visible they are not promoting their order to prospective postulants nor are they being visible witnesses to Christ as they should be.