An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charging Children As Adults

catholicinsd

OK, the first incedent actually at my school. A senior, without a very good home life, pummled a freshman.

Second incedent: A state wrestling champ is being charged with attempted rape. Which think this is bogus, its just the project of a jealous teammate.

[quote name='MRSannie' post='1066328' date='Sep 18 2006, 09:22 PM']I think comprehending what one is doing is the key. Some 8-10 yr olds know exactly what they are doing, and some adult autism sufferers don't.[/quote]
I don't know about 8-10, although St. Alphonsus does tell a story about a 5 year old who reaches the age of reason, blasphemes, and is struck dead by God and sent to hell.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066329' date='Sep 18 2006, 09:22 PM']
OK, the first incedent actually at my school. A senior,[b] without a very good home life[/b], pummled a freshman.

Second incedent: A state wrestling champ is being charged with attempted rape. [u]Which think this is bogus, its just the project of a jealous teammate.[/u][/quote]

[b]Completely irrelevent[/b]

[u]Complete speculation[/u]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1066391' date='Sep 18 2006, 10:26 PM']
[b]Completely irrelevent[/b]

[u]Complete speculation[/u]
[/quote]

He comes from a horrible home. The legal system failed him.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066406' date='Sep 18 2006, 09:42 PM']
[/quote]

Oh poor baby! :sadder:

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066406' date='Sep 18 2006, 11:42 PM']
[/quote]
Bull.
I don't care where you come from, right from wrong doesn't change, its imprinted in us from conception.

There is a great deal of difference between a 21 and 18, all of the differences being in the areas of judgement. Both ages are still under the influence of the invincibility factor - nothing bad can happen to me. Real judgement as an adult usually kicks in completely by 25.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066406' date='Sep 18 2006, 10:42 PM']
[/quote]
So that gives people free license to inflict pain and suffering on innocent victims? Sorry, not buying.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066442' date='Sep 19 2006, 12:30 AM']
Anyway. Children aren't adults. The sould be tried in junenille courts.
[/quote]

I definitely agree most should be in juvenile court.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1066424' date='Sep 18 2006, 11:08 PM']
Bull.
I don't care where you come from, right from wrong doesn't change, its imprinted in us from conception.

There is a great deal of difference between a 21 and 18, all of the differences being in the areas of judgement. Both ages are still under the influence of the invincibility factor - nothing bad can happen to me. Real judgement as an adult usually kicks in completely by 25.
[/quote]

OH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sick of hearing that clap trap. Teenagers do not think they are invincible, they just haven't become so wrapped up in the world that they are terrified to die. As a teenager I made several choices which could have led to my death, I knew that when I made them, and I was prepared for that eventuality. Would I make those same decisions now, at 33, GOD help me, I hope so. I hope that age has not rendered me a coward. I hope that family has not rendered me a coward. I hope that I would stand up agianst evil thugs now, as I did then.

What people call "adult judgement" is almost always just the
embracing of cowardice and dressing it up in a pretty cloak, and calling it judgement. I have worked with teens for years, they are not idiots, they know good and well what might happen, they simply don't care. The world is not too much with them, not yet. Don't degrade them by saying they don't have the powers of judgement, or that they think they are invincible. They don't, they ust aren't yet afraid of what might happen to them, that doesn't mean they don't know it might.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1066549' date='Sep 19 2006, 07:26 AM']
So that gives people free license to inflict pain and suffering on innocent victims? Sorry, not buying.
[/quote]

Um, I saw the victim, (who wasn't totally innocent) in this case about 10 minutes after the attack, and he was completely consious, just bleeding alot. He only spent 2 days in the hospital. His attacker, who is 17, should charged as he is: a juvenille.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066589' date='Sep 19 2006, 10:10 AM']
Um, I saw the victim, (who wasn't totally innocent) in this case about 10 minutes after the attack, and he was completely consious, just bleeding alot. He only spent 2 days in the hospital. His attacker, who is 17, should charged as he is: a juvenille.
[/quote]

What did the guy do?

I am not sure he should be charged at all, some people have a butt wupping coming.

That said a 17 year old can enlist in army (and yes a 17 year old can sign up they just don't go until they are 18), consent to sex, and kill someone quite intentionally and with rationality, I have no problem with him being charged as an adult.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1066591' date='Sep 19 2006, 10:18 AM']
What did the guy do?

[/quote]

He pummeled a freshy for half a minute.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1066596' date='Sep 19 2006, 10:23 AM']
He pummeled a freshy for half a minute.
[/quote]

No what did the freshman do?