An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Happens To A Postulant's Hair...

Veritas

+

As I was brushing my hair this morning, and noticing how long it was becoming, I naturally (well naturally for any of us vocation stationers :lol: ) wondered, "I wonder what they do with a postulant's hair when they do 'the big cut'? I wonder if they ever give it to Locks of Love or a similar organization?"

:idontknow: Does anyone know? (I realize there may be different answers for different communities, so feel free to post-away!)

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Veritas

Well one of the orders I visited this summer mails the hair to the postualnts mother as a sign of her death to the world and death to her vanity. Yikes :shock: I can just see how my mum would take that one!
I am not sure if it is a personal thing for some orders. I know I wanted to grow my hair out for locks of love and I think Sr Lauren was planning on doing that as well.

I honestly thought they put it in an envelope or folder and kept it with the sister's other effects. How else did they have St. Therese's hair to put on display when they built her museum? I know a CV who has a lock of the saint's hair.

St. Meinrad's in Indiana has boxes in their archives for each monk, and their personal effects are put in them. Only one monk has access to these boxes.

As for our SOLC Foundations, we'll be keeping the hair on file.

Blessings,
Gemma

Iam just wondering on the topic of hair.....I have heard that alot of communities after the clothing ceremony actually shave the novices head. I mean they do the initial cutting and then afterwards they shave the entire head. I have heard that this is true for some of the more traditional communities who wear the full habit. I heard that there are Carmelites, Dominicans and whatnot who still do this practice. Someone told me that they do this at OLAM...But Iam not sure maybe in the past. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of communities shaving their head.

In JMJ

puellapaschalis

I watched Die grosse Stille this afternoon and they shave the monks' heads at the beginning of the nov and regularly throughout the monk's life, from what I could gather.

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1065214' date='Sep 17 2006, 02:04 PM']
Iam just wondering on the topic of hair.....I have heard that alot of communities after the clothing ceremony actually shave the novices head. I mean they do the initial cutting and then afterwards they shave the entire head. I have heard that this is true for some of the more traditional communities who wear the full habit. I heard that there are Carmelites, Dominicans and whatnot who still do this practice. Someone told me that they do this at OLAM...But Iam not sure maybe in the past. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of communities shaving their head.

In JMJ
[/quote]

I'm not sure if they "Bic" it, but I know they cut it exceedingly short at the CFRs.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1065104' date='Sep 17 2006, 11:28 AM']
I honestly thought they put it in an envelope or folder and kept it with the sister's other effects. How else did they have St. Therese's hair to put on display when they built her museum? I know a CV who has a lock of the saint's hair.

St. Meinrad's in Indiana has boxes in their archives for each monk, and their personal effects are put in them. Only one monk has access to these boxes.

As for our SOLC Foundations, we'll be keeping the hair on file.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

+

Interesting. What is a "personal effect" (aside from hair)?

Also, I have a priest friend, who does a lot of things (retreats and such) with and for the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta. He told me that all the sisters receive locks of Mother Teresa's hair -- I think that is so awesome (first class relic)! So, I believe, or he believed or knew rather, that they saved Mother's hair every time they cut it!

:saint:

Edited by Veritas

I recall Sr. Grace (from OLAM) talking about the haircut at the EWTN celebration in SF. She said its up to each sister whether she'll keep her hair short or grow it out again after her invesititure. So I would presume that means they don't shave their heads, just because I don't think that would make sense if they're allowed to grow it out, but I couldn't say that with absolute certainty. I haven't seen any of them with out their veil so :idontknow: .

I'd like to donate my hair to locks of love, but I don't know if it'll be long enough.

This thread makes me wonder......I have very little hair about 2.5 cms (1 inch) long. So that makes me wonder how mine would be cut :idontknow:
I cannot grow it out....so :idontknow:

Interesting, any thoughts?

Belinda

[quote name='In His Light' post='1065684' date='Sep 17 2006, 10:09 PM']
This thread makes me wonder......I have very little hair about 2.5 cms (1 inch) long. So that makes me wonder how mine would be cut :idontknow:
I cannot grow it out....so :idontknow:

Interesting, any thoughts?

Belinda
[/quote]

That is interesting. I'm sure some of the African sisters encounter this. Ideas, anyone?

All I know is that I'll be keeping mine short ... I grew mine out, in hopes of having it cut at entering the novitiate.

Well ... the community I was with did not use veils for postulants or aspirants (I wished they had ...); so at month four I gave up struggling with my hair and asked to cut it.

Its much easier getting ready for chapel with the short hair! My hair is curly, and it really bugs me to wear it in a pony tail or a bun (tried it ... all it did was promote headaches).

So short it is! Hopefully they'll have enough to symbolically cut it :-).

-- Carmen

[quote name='Veritas' post='1065689' date='Sep 17 2006, 11:12 PM']
That is interesting. I'm sure some of the African sisters encounter this. Ideas, anyone?
[/quote]

I talked to a African sister and from my understanding they still cut a bit of your hair. Iam still trying to figure out how communites who wear the full habit dont shave their head? Seriously if there was an african sister there she would grow a huge afro which would stick out....Doesn't it get really hot under you veil in the summer if you had a full head of hair?

[quote name='Veritas' post='1065606' date='Sep 18 2006, 12:01 AM']
I'm not sure if they "Bic" it, but I know they cut it exceedingly short at the CFRs.
+

Interesting. What is a "personal effect" (aside from hair)?

:saint:
[/quote]

Journals and the like.

Blessings,
Gemma