An Old School Catholic Message Board

A New Crusade

rkwright

A New Crusade  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Rick777' post='1064846' date='Sep 17 2006, 01:34 AM']
While were on this topic, is there a good movie about the Crusades?
[/quote]
I wish. I could really use one about now.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Ivanhoe? Not really a crusades movie. I think there was an old movie called "Crusade" but I cannot vouch for its quality.

Edited by thedude

I thought "Kingdom of Heaven" was pretty good. Don't know know accurate it was historically. I also wished it hadn't been so Euro-centric. This is the west. We know our own history. I was interested in seeing more from a Muslim perspective. But, it was pretty good, and generally displayed both sides as flawed but noble.

I was reading about Saladin the other day, and he was actually placed in the limbo of the just by Dante. I guess he was considered a noble Muslim.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Era Might' post='1064858' date='Sep 17 2006, 03:42 AM']
I thought "Kingdom of Heaven" was pretty good. Don't know know accurate it was historically. I also wished it hadn't been so Euro-centric. This is the west. We know our own history. I was interested in seeing more from a Muslim perspective. But, it was pretty good, and generally displayed both sides as flawed but noble.
[/quote]
I have heard it was inaccurate. I have not seen the movie though and do not consider myself a Crusades expert.

I don't know. I know the story is true, because I checked Warren Carroll's account in "The Glory of Christendom" and it was basically the same. Balian defends the wall of Jerusalam, Saladin besieges and wins but Balian wins terms for the lives of his people. That's what happens in the movie. The King of Jerusalem is a leper in the movie, and was in real life.

But, I don't know about the minutae and how accurate it is.

He gives a great speech at the end though, about how Jerusalem is just a pile of dirt, and they're not fighting for a pile of dirt, they're fighting for their lives. I don't know if that was real, but it was a great commentary on the Crusades, between ideal and reality, how in its ideal it was a struggle for defense, but often got mixed up in temporal greed and lust for power and land.

But, he also commits fornication in the movie.

:annoyed:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' post='1064870' date='Sep 17 2006, 01:52 AM']
I don't know. I know the story is true, because I checked Warren Carroll's account in "The Glory of Christendom" and it was basically the same. Balian defends the wall of Jerusalam, Saladin besieges and wins but Balian wins terms for the lives of his people. That's what happens in the movie. The King of Jerusalem is a leper in the movie, and was in real life.

But, I don't know about the minutae and how accurate it is.

He gives a great speech at the end though, about how Jerusalem is just a pile of dirt, and they're not fighting for a pile of dirt, they're fighting for their lives. I don't know if that was real, but it was a great commentary on the Crusades, between ideal and reality, how in its ideal it was a struggle for defense, but often got mixed up in temporal greed and lust for power and land.
[/quote]
I saw it and felt it was anachronistic in that the characters came off to me as modern westerners. They got the big picture of historical events correct, but they utterly failed to portray the mind of the period (IMHO).

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I think the reported inaccuracies was in the portrayal of certain figures. I recall reading about how a Christian leader was protrayed as somewhat agnostic or doubtful in the movie, when historical record shows his support of the Church.

I would support another crusade. I think we're in a time when one would be appropriate. I don't see why we would need to focus on the Muslims though. They're not really the ones having the most affect on our faith from what I can tell. I would say something more like the UN or something like that. But in this day and age the Church would never be able to get enough to fight something as big as the UN.

I would support another crusade. I think we're in a time when one would be appropriate. I don't see why we would need to focus on the Muslims though. They're not really the ones having the most affect on our faith from what I can tell. I would say something more like the UN or something like that. But in this day and age the Church would never be able to get enough to fight something as big as the UN.

Yah, I'm always underwhelmed with secular films about Catholicism. I'm always thinking, "that's now how a Catholic would respond". Sometimes they have to throw in cheesy lines just to capture general theological principles.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1064887' date='Sep 17 2006, 01:57 AM']

[/quote]

Th UN? :unsure: They aren't threatening the Pope and destroying Church's.

Edited by Rick777

If you say so... Only time will tell. But Luther too started out least claiming that he was trying to do good and trying to help the Church. Sometimes what's on the surface isn't what it's really about.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='Rick777' post='1064893' date='Sep 17 2006, 03:00 AM']
Th UN? :unsure: They aren't threatening the Pope and destroying Church's.
[/quote]

The UN is pretty scary to me....a useless world organization completely whitewashed by political correctness? The worst part is that Europe puts so much stock in it...Someday it will be kinda like the EU, except encompassing the entire globe (at least, those countries that have joined it)...that is, if we continue to be members. We haven't made the UN too happy in recent years, actually that makes ME kinda happy...