An Old School Catholic Message Board

A New Crusade

rkwright

A New Crusade  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given all the discussion, and the media coverage of Benedict's latest statements, the violent protests, and the discsussion on here... How would the phatmassers vote?

I don't mean to distract from the other thread, but I'm sure theres a lot of people with opinions and it be interesting to get some numbers on the phatmassers opinions.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1064806' date='Sep 17 2006, 01:49 AM']
I'm honestly disgusted with Phatmass right now.

We have all lost our minds.
[/quote]

?

[/quote]
:huh:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1064807' date='Sep 17 2006, 12:51 AM']
?
[/quote]
I assume Era's avatar says it all.

I voted null to this poll because it doesn't seem altogether appropriate.

[/quote]

We voted that the Church SHOULDN'T launch a new crusade...

however, IF she did, we would be OBLIGED to fight. IF our Church called on us to defend Christianity in the Middle East by force, how could any Catholic male in good shape say no? [i]Honestly[/i]....

we never said that we are going to go rampaging through the Mid East, in fact none of us even expect a crusade to happen. IF the Church called us, even you, Era, would have to seriously consider going. Who can question our Mother Church?

If you say that we are wrong for voting the way we did, then you are saying even when the Church requires physical defense and requests it, we shouldn't answer.

Just so you know, I have a great deal of respect for you Era, and don't really expect to win any 'debate' with you because you are smarter than me. I just find it ridiculous for you to imply that answering a call to arms from the Church would be wrong.

aalph,

I wasn't speaking of anyone personally, certainly not you. Just to clarify.

It's just the whole attitude of even bringing up a crusade that irks me to no end.

What we need now is firm faith and charity in response to our enemies. We need to get this idea out of our head that violence between Christians and Muslims will solve our problems.

We need what the early martyrs had in the face of paganism. The witness of love incarnate in Jesus Christ. The Church will always triumph in the end, but if we do it the right way, it will be a lot smoother. The Israelites wanted to do things their way, so they wandered 40 years in the desert before they got to the promised land.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' post='1064826' date='Sep 17 2006, 02:13 AM']
aalph,

I wasn't speaking of anyone personally, certainly not you.

It's just the whole attitude of even bringing up a crusade that irks me to no end.

What we need now is firm faith and charity in response to our enemies. We need to get this idea out of our head that violence between Christians and Muslims will solve our problems.

We need what the early martyrs had in the face of paganism. The witness of love incarnate in Jesus Christ. The Church will always triumph in the end, but if we do it the right way, it will be a lot smoother. The Israelites wanted to do things their way, so they wandered 40 years in the desert before they got to the promised land.
[/quote]

I guess what really stood out to me in your post was the part about even bringing up a crusade. That is a pretty good point....If the Church was to call for a crusade, I would be one of the first to respond, but the Church will probably never call another one, and so why bring it up? It is pretty presumptuous to start speculating a crusade.

I suppose I just don't really see any harm in talking about it, as long as we aren't forming a regiment or anything :). As long as we all know that we aren't on the brink of a crusade or anything. JPII was too much against the war in Iraq for his successor to start calling for more war in the Middle East. Benedict's remarks weren't anything more than a proclamation of Truth. They were not a call to arms, but rather a call for the radical Muslims to lay down theirs.

So my conclusion is that while there is no harm in talking about it, it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

[quote]What time you all going to Mass tommorow (today)? It's getting late over here. That 6 PM sounds nice.[/quote]

lol. Way to change the conversation... ;) High Mass, 12:30pm.

Edited by Rick777

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Rick777' post='1064834' date='Sep 17 2006, 03:22 AM']
lol. Way to change the conversation... ;) High Mass, 12:30pm.
[/quote]
It seemed appropriate. I probably will not awake before 1 PM.