An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stuck In The Middle

Mary-Kathryn

I've been following along with all the endless threads, debates, and challenges between the Catholics and the protestants [not protestants-not fundmentalists, whatever]

I'm about to blow a gasket.

First off, on the not a protestant-not a fundmentalist-secret agent man side....if you weren't so personally offensive to my own family,former neighbors, and friends, you'd be comical. I grew up in the deep south, spent my first 30+ years there. I was surrounded by Pentecostal, Holiness, Church of Christ, Bible-Believing, Oldtime Gospel, Southern Baptist....and none of them was like you. Now, if you asked, they'd tell you, sometimes real blunt. There were those now and again that would just get on your last nerve...but not like this. E's portrayal is almost like a cartoon character of what he believes a southern protestant is like. My own beloved mother was a Pentecostal for gosh sakes!! My guess is that he is either a Catholic picking and picking to get emotions going, or he wants badly to be Catholic and doesn't know how to let his barriers down. Budge... my heart believes she's Catholic through and through and wants to come home. :)

On the other side, I'm just as ticked at some Catholics. My family members are good God-fearing people. I am the only Catholic in a very large extended family. It really disturbs me to see zingers thrown around and have it hit home for me. For example in the Mormon or Catholic thread someone made a remark about a picture of a church that has "comfy" looking chairs. That picture resembled the exact same kind of church my aunt and uncle attend and celebrated their 50th wedding aniversary in. I was very proud to sit in one of those "comfy" chairs by the way and see them renew their vows. This is not the first time I've seen this happen.

So as a convert, where do I fit into your nicely drawn battle lines? I am a true Catholic and will never leave my faith, but I am also woman who loves her very southern Baptist family. One can debate without throwing the converts into the mud.

Budge and E, you can come on in. I know you want to. Its tough to let go of what is familiar...even scary. But Jesus wouldn't have you here if He weren't leading you. So trust Him.

Mary-Kathryn

Thy Geekdom Come

Thanks Mary-Kathryn. I understand that it's difficult for Catholics with non-Catholic families. I guess as far as the comfy chairs go, it's just a Catholic mindset thing. It's not meant to be against those who have those types of chairs in their parishes, it's probably more against the popular idea that Mass should be comfortable and entertaining, which of course, as we know, misses the point. I don't think it's against anyone of other denominations, mostly because if they want comfy chairs, it shouldn't matter to us.

For my own part, if I have ever made you uncomfortable, I apologize.

God bless,

Micah

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1063403' date='Sep 15 2006, 11:49 AM']So as a convert, where do I fit into your nicely drawn battle lines?[/quote]I think this whole post answered your question.

What I mean is, when the mud is being hurled back and forth, be the voice of charity and understanding. It seems that you have the perfect background to play that role.

For example: if my post lacks charity, call me on it. Maybe I'll live in a state of denial; but at least someone told me that I should be thinking about my own behavior on the forum.

Living in apologetics and debate can be fun and help us intellectually; but it is not Our Faith. Our Faith is not a bunch of arguments; it's a relationship with Our Lord, and a way of life that is ordered to please Him. (Paraphrased from the book: [url="http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Share-Your-Faith/dp/1888992301/sr=8-1/qid=1158332480/ref=sr_1_1/103-5456309-2873419?ie=UTF8&s=books"]How Not to Share Your Faith: The Seven Deadly Sins of Apologetics[/url]).

[quote]E's portrayal is almost like a cartoon character of what he believes a southern protestant is like.[/quote]I think that this "no holds barred" behavior is a consequence of the anonymity of the Internet. From my own biased perspective, I see the emotional button-pushing in Eutychus's and Budge's posts. I just try my best to avoid answering in kind.

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1063403' date='Sep 15 2006, 10:49 AM']
I've been following along with all the endless threads, debates, and challenges between the Catholics and the protestants [not protestants-not fundmentalists, whatever]

I'm about to blow a gasket.

First off, on the not a protestant-not a fundmentalist-secret agent man side....if you weren't so personally offensive to my own family,former neighbors, and friends, you'd be comical. I grew up in the deep south, spent my first 30+ years there. I was surrounded by Pentecostal, Holiness, Church of Christ, Bible-Believing, Oldtime Gospel, Southern Baptist....and none of them was like you. Now, if you asked, they'd tell you, sometimes real blunt. There were those now and again that would just get on your last nerve...but not like this. E's portrayal is almost like a cartoon character of what he believes a southern protestant is like. My own beloved mother was a Pentecostal for gosh sakes!! My guess is that he is either a Catholic picking and picking to get emotions going, or he wants badly to be Catholic and doesn't know how to let his barriers down. Budge... my heart believes she's Catholic through and through and wants to come home. :)

On the other side, I'm just as ticked at some Catholics. My family members are good God-fearing people. I am the only Catholic in a very large extended family. It really disturbs me to see zingers thrown around and have it hit home for me. For example in the Mormon or Catholic thread someone made a remark about a picture of a church that has "comfy" looking chairs. That picture resembled the exact same kind of church my aunt and uncle attend and celebrated their 50th wedding aniversary in. I was very proud to sit in one of those "comfy" chairs by the way and see them renew their vows. This is not the first time I've seen this happen.

So as a convert, where do I fit into your nicely drawn battle lines? I am a true Catholic and will never leave my faith, but I am also woman who loves her very southern Baptist family. One can debate without throwing the converts into the mud.

Budge and E, you can come on in. I know you want to. Its tough to let go of what is familiar...even scary. But Jesus wouldn't have you here if He weren't leading you. So trust Him.

Mary-Kathryn
[/quote]
:clap:

That's why I'm sitting out of debates, at least for a little while. I don't want to stoop to mud-slinging. I might have once or twice, though.

Edited by scardella

Thank you for bringing this up.

I am well aware of Charity and that is something I try to constantly meditate on. The greatest of these is Charity.
We all need to really look at Charity, what it is. We have to live it, it must pervade all of us. Personally, I was a little astounded by the fact that many seemed disappointed by Pope Benedcit's first encyclical, Deus Caritas Est. Charity is very important to the Kerygma and the Christian life.

Of all the powerful witnesses we can give, I believe Charity gives one of the greatest.

I know I fail, but Charity is my chief concern.
:)

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' date='Sep 15 2006, 10:49 AM' post='1063403'
So as a convert, where do I fit into your nicely drawn battle lines? [/quote]

Where do you fit into the battle lines? LEADING A DIVISION OF TROOPS!

Your word and walk will probably carry more weight than many of ours....

[quote]E's portrayal is almost like a cartoon character of what he believes a southern protestant is like. My own beloved mother was a Pentecostal for gosh sakes!! My guess is that he is either a Catholic picking and picking to get emotions going, or he wants badly to be Catholic and doesn't know how to let his barriers down. Budge... my heart believes she's Catholic through and through and wants to come home. [/quote]

Why THANK YOU "Dr. Phil" for the psychoanalysis.

Other than being wrong on EVERY point, you did a wonderful job!

[quote]Budge and E, you can come on in. I know you want to. Its tough to let go of what is familiar...even scary. But Jesus wouldn't have you here if He weren't leading you. So trust Him.[/quote]

Come in??

Dear, it took ten years go GET OUT, now why pray tell, would I voluntarily return to a life of beggarly bondage { as Paul put it when warning about returning to sacramentalism } ?

For the bible scholars out there 2 Peter 2:22 pretty much sums up my feelings on returning.

Edited by Eutychus

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1063594' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:44 PM']
Come in??

Dear, it took ten years go GET OUT, now why pray tell, would I voluntarily return to a life of beggarly bondage { as Paul put it when warning about returning to sacramentalism } ?

For the bible scholars out there 2 Peter 2:22 pretty much sums up my feelings on returning.
[/quote]

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1063594' date='Sep 15 2006, 04:44 PM']

Come in??

[/quote]

E,

All I will say,since your type of discussions are best left to others, is may God Bless you on this journey. I know it can be a bit tough at the beginning.

Mary-Kathryn

[quote] All I will say,since your type of discussions are best left to others, is may God Bless you on this journey. I know it can be a bit tough at the beginning.

Mary-Kathryn[/quote]

I can see we have issues here with reality....so I will just let this one pass.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1063594' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:44 PM']

Come in??

[/quote]
It pretty much sums up your behavior on these boards, too. You do not answer any objections, but simply return to the same nonsensical insults, and deriding of all Catholics as ignorant and stupid.
"The dog is returned to his vomit; and: The sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

Both my parents were in the protestant "Church of Christ" denomination before converting to the Catholic Faith, and held beliefs quite similar to those of Budge and Eutychus. They were both quite familiar with Scripture before converting, and argued against Catholics. But their own study of Scripture and Church History led them into the Catholic Faith.
To simply deride all Catholics as scripturally ignorant brainwashed idiots incapable of thinking for themselves is an insult to them, and to all the many whose love of Scripture and search for truth has brought them from protestantism to the Catholic Faith, including those converts on this board.

The fact that Eutychus cannot debate intelligently, but prefers to return to the vomit of his hollow insults, and to wallow about in the mire of his own spitefullness says a lot.