An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sitting Out Of The Debate Table For A While

scardella

It has not escaped my notice that when I participate in debates, whenever they are really debates, it seems as if my focus turns to winning the debate. I am not willing to compromise truth, but it seems that I lose sight of charity and the fact that it is the pursuit of truth, not a game to be won.

I think I'm going to have to sit out for a while, pending my next meeting with my spiritual director.

[quote name='scardella' post='1062668' date='Sep 14 2006, 01:46 PM']
It has not escaped my notice that when I participate in debates, whenever they are really debates, it seems as if my focus turns to winning the debate. I am not willing to compromise truth, but it seems that I lose sight of charity and the fact that it is the pursuit of truth, not a game to be won.

I think I'm going to have to sit out for a while, pending my next meeting with my spiritual director.
[/quote]

I hear ya, me too..

[quote name='Budge' post='1063176' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:45 PM']
Kitchen getting too hot?

:topsy:
[/quote]

Maybe they just prefer a dish that doesn't bite ;)

[quote name='Budge' post='1063176' date='Sep 15 2006, 12:45 AM']
Kitchen getting too hot?

[/quote]
Excessive argument, especially when it's clear neither side is willing to give any credit to the other, wears Christian charity thin. I'd rather cut off my hand of aggressive apologetics than let it cause me to sin. If I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

[quote name='Budge' post='1063176' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:45 PM']
Kitchen getting too hot?[/quote]

This has nothing to do with feeling threatened. It has everything to do with it becoming :boink: or :getaclue: or even :wall: rather than :book: and :grouphug: and :saint:

[quote name='Paladin' post='1063353' date='Sep 15 2006, 09:43 AM']
Excessive argument, especially when it's clear neither side is willing to give any credit to the other, wears Christian charity thin. I'd rather cut off my hand of aggressive apologetics than let it cause me to sin. If I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
[/quote]
:applause:

Taking the high road is very admirable and I admire you for doing so.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Budge' post='1063176' date='Sep 14 2006, 10:45 PM']
Kitchen getting too hot?

[/quote]

Thanks for elevating the conversation. Uhm, BTW, you're the object lesson regarding why Scardella feels the need to walk away. Well done.