An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Question Of Confirmation

Budge

Confirmation is not in the Bible.

Here is what the Catholic Church teaches about confirmation

[quote]"Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the church...CCC1316
[/quote]
Supposely confirmation incorporates Catholics more firmly into Christ. But the Bible teaches no such doctrine.

You are either a Christian with the Holy Spirit indwelling or you are not...

2Cr 5:17 [size=4]Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: [/size]old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
[quote]
Confirmation like Baptism imprints a spiritual mark or indelible character on the Christian soul...CCC 1317[/quote]

Where does this mark or indelible character occur in Scripture?
I know lots of people who were confirmed who today are unbelievers.

This is yet another man-made traditions. Where is confirmation in the Bible? The Catholic Church even falsely teaches that they are the ones who "give" the Holy Spirit to people. Confirmation I believe is used to bring young people into even more bondage with the Catholic Church. All these 7th and 8th graders given an entire YEARS worth of classes.....

One interesting moment I had, was as an adult admitting to a priest {after I left UU} that my Confirmation was done invalidly....that I had lied and was actually an atheist the day of my Confirmation. {this was a major sin of lying, I admit it, the 13 year old me gave in too readily to the pressures of others and parents} and this priest telling me...

"That doesnt matter. You still are confirmed."

The topsy-turvy world of Catholicism, where ritual and rite, count more then reality.

[img]http://www.towardsthegoal.com/images/peopleandplaces/confirmation.jpg[/img]

Edited by Budge

Fides_et_Ratio

Confirmation done that old is typically a Western (Latin rite) tradition. The Eastern churches do confirmation right after they baptize the infants.

When (if) I become a Director of Religious Education, I'll move Confirmation up to an earlier age. We live in a crazy world, and kids need the graces of the Holy Spirit much earlier in life.

[quote]Confirmation done that old is typically a Western (Latin rite) tradition. The Eastern churches do confirmation right after they baptize the infants.

When (if) I become a Director of Religious Education, I'll move Confirmation up to an earlier age. We live in a crazy world, and kids need the graces of the Holy Spirit much earlier in life.[/quote]

Hmm didnt know Eastern church did it that young.

I believe of course that baptism is to be done on someone old enough to KNOW they are a born again believer and is a public ordinance.

When I was baptized as an infant in the Catholic Church at the age of 9 days, really it was only a baby bath. I had no Holy Spirit. I was a self avowed atheist by the age of 10. {read Thomas Paine in the public library} I was a gung ho pagan UU for years. I did not know God until I was over the age of 30.

How many baptized babies grow up atheists, heathens and Christ-rejecters knowing nothing of God?

It just proves that infant baptism is false.

Thy Geekdom Come

If you baptize an uncatechized adult and send him out amidst the wolves, he'll probably fall away quickly, too.

The problem isn't that your Baptism wasn't efficacious; the problem is that you were evidently poorly catechized as a child.

[quote name='Budge' post='1060193' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:07 PM']
Hmm didnt know Eastern church did it that young.

I believe of course that baptism is to be done on someone old enough to KNOW they are a born again believer and is a public ordinance.

When I was baptized as an infant in the Catholic Church at the age of 9 days, really it was only a baby bath. I had no Holy Spirit. I was a self avowed atheist by the age of 10. {read Thomas Paine in the public library} I was a gung ho pagan UU for years. I did not know God until I was over the age of 30.

How many baptized babies grow up atheists, heathens and Christ-rejecters knowing nothing of God?

[/quote]

No Budge, it only proves that you have been seeking for a very long time. You are coming full circle by seeking to have your questions answered. Give yourself time and know you have my prayers.

[quote name='Budge' post='1060121' date='Sep 10 2006, 09:17 AM']
[/quote]

Actually, it is! This is one of the easiest ones to show!

Please read in the New Testament all the instances of "laying on of hands" (hey, thats a ritual!!!) to receive the Holy Spirit. This is the origin of Confirmation. Please see CCC 1288-1289.

[quote name='Budge' post='1060193' date='Sep 10 2006, 01:07 PM']

[/quote]

In addition to what the others have said, please read the parable of the Sower and the Seed. There are many reasons that one loses faith.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Budge' post='1060121' date='Sep 10 2006, 09:17 AM']

Here is what the Catholic Church teaches about confirmation
Supposely confirmation incorporates Catholics more firmly into Christ. But the Bible teaches no such doctrine.

You are either a Christian with the Holy Spirit indwelling or you are not...

2Cr 5:17 [size=4]Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: [/size]old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Where does this mark or indelible character occur in Scripture?
I know lots of people who were confirmed who today are unbelievers.

This is yet another man-made traditions. Where is confirmation in the Bible? The Catholic Church even falsely teaches that they are the ones who "give" the Holy Spirit to people. Confirmation I believe is used to bring young people into even more bondage with the Catholic Church. All these 7th and 8th graders given an entire YEARS worth of classes.....

One interesting moment I had, was as an adult admitting to a priest {after I left UU} that my Confirmation was done invalidly....that I had lied and was actually an atheist the day of my Confirmation. {this was a major sin of lying, I admit it, the 13 year old me gave in too readily to the pressures of others and parents} and this priest telling me...

"That doesnt matter. You still are confirmed."
The topsy-turvy world of Catholicism, where ritual and rite, count more then reality.

[img]http://www.towardsthegoal.com/images/peopleandplaces/confirmation.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

As to the original post. Confirmation came to us on the day of pentecost, The Holy Spirit seals us and we recieve many graces from it.

Furthermore, even though we have this example from the Bible about Confirmation. Never does the Bible say that ALL Christian Truth is found in the Bible. It says that ALL scripture is good for the education and correction of our brothers, but it does not say that ONLY scripture is good for that.

[quote]The sacrament of confirmation is found in Bible passages such as Acts 8:14–17, 9:17, 19:6, and Hebrews 6:2, which speak of a laying on of hands for the purpose of bestowing the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]
[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Confirmation.asp"]Find out more.[/url]