An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ignore Budge?

Groo the Wanderer

I agree with Winchester that the Holy and Only True Faith must be defended to keep others from being scandalised or being led into doubt of The Teachings of Holy Mother Church.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1059156' date='Sep 8 2006, 03:40 PM']
But the fact is that someone must in many cases respond for those who only read and don't post, or who, unlike trolls like Budge, take seriously the damage done to a person's faith (and possibly a person's soul) by the comments about Catholicism. Sure, they're dirt dumb to us. They've been toppled countless times, but to a young person, a person in crisis, Budgies infantile tirades have merit and real teeth.

Our victory lies in telling the truth for those people.
[/quote]

Bingo. That in a nutshell sums it up. And if anyone wants evidence that these exchanges are in fact edifying, read this thread:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=57037"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=57037[/url]

Another thing. When things get out of control, the mods have been good about giving out warnings.

I don't know where people get the idea that we are supposed to walk around like Snow White where all the birdies and rabbits and tree moles are singing happy songs in order to prove we have peace in our lives. We are Church Militant, not Church Pacifist. In battle, things sometimes get ugly and we have to get our hands dirty. If that is not for someone, fine, but I don't want anyone tying my hands behind my back. Sure, we should not do anything stupid that will end up doing more harm than good, but I also learned in life that some people just will never be satisfied with us no matter what we do, and so I could care less what they think.

As far as the Budge/Eutychus threads, it is educational. And sometimes when they leave a thread after we meet their challenges and they don't respond to our challenges/responses, there are two possible outcomes. Either they are seriously taking one of our points, or people will see them for who they are.

Is what I think, Budge is not alone a person, they are several people.
The protestant forums that know do not publish opinions of catholics, this well to listen to the Protestants, but we do not leave that they use a forum catholic to attack to the Church.

Edited by ruso

You think she's being a troll? Disagreeing simply to disagree? I think she's like these guys: [url="http://p203.ezboard.com/btruechristiansunite"]http://p203.ezboard.com/btruechristiansunite[/url]

Groo the Wanderer

Hmmm...much food for thought...many things to ponder here....

I especially like the time off from Purgatory for practicing Apologetics. :drool:

Speaking of...anybody out there know if real life in-person Protestants are like this? I have debated a few, but never any that got ugly like that...not even the two JW ladies that knocked on my door one day (that was a hoot).

Went on vacation a couple months back and stayed in a B&B in St. Louis...one of the other guests was a Presbyterian minister. We talked for about an hour or so before breakfast one day. He had questions about the doctrine of Purgatory. The worst thing he ever lobbed my way was commenting that the Church's interpretation of one particular passage was 'weak', but he acknowledged the reasoning behind the doctrine, even if he did not agree with it.

Guess I expected Budge and Co. to be the same - civil and willing to engage in actual dialogue.....my bad.

I shall redouble my efforts not to be discouraged in the face of obstinacy - thanks to all who put in thier 2-10 cents worth! :D: :D: :D:

+

Groo,

My guess is that they're probably quite young as well. This may help you to be patient and to understand why they aren't dialoguing (listening, reading correctly and clearly, and responding appropriately) very well! May the Lord grant them clarity in addition to sincerity!

O ineffable Creator,
Who, out of the treasure of Thy wisdom,
hast ordained three hierarchies of Angels,
and placed them in wonderful order above the heavens,
and hast most wisely distributed the parts of the world;
Thou, Who are called the true fountain of light and wisdom,
and the highest beginning,
vouchsafe to pour upon the darkness of my understanding,
in which I was born,
the double beam of Thy brightness,
removing from me all darkness of sin and ignorance.
Thou, Who makest eloquent the tongue of the dumb,
instruct my tongue,
and pour on my lips the grace of Thy blessing.
Give me quickness of understanding,
capacity of retaining,
subtlety of interpreting,
facility in learning,
and copious grace of speaking.
Guide my going in,
direct my going forward,
accomplish my going forth;
through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

St. Thomas Aquinas~Pray for Us!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1059439' date='Sep 8 2006, 10:26 PM']
+

Groo,

My guess is that they're probably quite young as well. This may help you to be patient and to understand why they aren't dialoguing (listening, reading correctly and clearly, and responding appropriately) very well! [/quote]
Eutychus is 52 if I remember correctly.

cmotherofpirl

We have had lovely gracious conversations here and some epic royal battles as well, but usually with people who are actually here to converse and not to play bait the catholic game.
Thank you to all who are in the former categories. The only thing accomplished by those in the latter group is to make us fervantly thankful to be members of the Catholic Church.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1059418' date='Sep 8 2006, 11:06 PM']
You think she's being a troll? Disagreeing simply to disagree? I think she's like these guys: [url="http://p203.ezboard.com/btruechristiansunite"]http://p203.ezboard.com/btruechristiansunite[/url]
[/quote]

Well I sure hope she has a better hairstyle than most of them!!!

[quote]Budge and Company will never earn any truth about Catholicism unless the read our boards, because they are certainly never gonna read it on their own. [/quote]

Let's see here....12 years of Catholic schools, and five years of studying RCism.

I daresay, that we know more about Catholicm than 90% of the laity snoozing in the pews.

We just have come to a different conclusion than those that adore her, "that sits a queen"

In general I never reply to threads posted by Budge or concerning Budge, so this will be my only post on the topic. I post it only to give fellow Phatmassers some advice.

It seems to me that, when a person's conversation is so consistently bilious and hateful, that that person is speaking not to communicate but to instead be noticed. Budge (and to a lesser extent, Eutychus) spew such venom that their spit could be used as battery acid. Therefore, why waste time on an individual that has come to this place specifically to disrupt and cause others unpleasantness in their home, and whose behavior belies a lack of Christ's love?

Some individuals get a sense of power out of annoying others and therefore intentionally make themselves disliked. They don't know how to act in such a way that people actually like them, so they must act in the opposite way in order to be known at all.

While I read the debate threads and admire the charity displayed by many Phatmassers in response to such venomous (and poorly constructed arguments), I firmly believe that those individuals are still giving our disruptors a sense of satisfaction, as what they are here for is attention. Start ignoring them as they should be ignored, and like a fly that is shooed away, they will eventually get tired and leave.

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1059512' date='Sep 9 2006, 05:05 AM']
Let's see here....12 years of Catholic schools, and five years of studying RCism.

I daresay, that we know more about Catholicm than 90% of the laity snoozing in the pews.

We just have come to a different conclusion than those that adore her, "that sits a queen"
[/quote]

I wish I knew half as many Catholics personally as Euty does.

Wow, you is one popular son of a gun!

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/uploads/av-4643.gif[/img]

[b]Indeed!!

GREAT IDEA!![/b]

[img]http://www.messianicjewish.net/graphics/LB46lg.jpg[/img]

[size=5][b]The ORIGINAL and still unsurpassed, don't be fooled by cheap imitations![/b][/size]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/uploads/av-4643.gif[/img]

Looks like another person THE CATHOLIC UNDERTOW got.
[quote]
Overcoming the Undertow

Leaving the Catholic Church involves more than just understanding that some Catholic doctrines and practices are contrary to Scripture. There are often emotional issues as well. I have had to deal with these issues myself. I also correspond with former Catholics who are currently dealing with them.

Some people see God’s truth, simply and suddenly, like a light being turned on inside of them. They walk out of Catholicism and into Biblical Christianity, without emotional turmoil. That is wonderful. It is a precious gift from God.

For many former Catholics, there are difficult emotional issues that we have to deal with. Often our new friends in our new church don’t understand them.

Christians often assume that, once Catholics understand doctrinal issues and Biblical principles, then that is the end of the matter. But for many of us, it isn’t. There can be a lot more involved than just intellectual understanding.

Catholics are used to having priests tell them how to think and what to do. As a result, it can be difficult for former Catholics to learn to pray for themselves, read the Bible for themselves, and take responsibility for their own life. We can overcome this difficulty, but it requires determination, persistence, and prayer.

There is something that I call the “Catholic undertow.” Have you ever been swimming in the ocean, and tried to swim back to shore, but the undertow kept pulling you back out to sea? Well, something similar can happen to people who have left the Catholic Church.[u]

The Bible warns us that people who have been set free from something need to stand their ground and refuse to be pulled back into their old bondage[/u]. It says:

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” (Galatians 5:1)

The purpose of this book is to help you “stand fast.” It will equip you to overcome the Catholic undertow. It will help you recognize it when it pulls at you, and resist the pull. It will deal with the root causes of the Catholic undertow--with the things that enable it to pull at us.

How do I know about the undertow? Because I’ve “been there and done that.” The undertow has pulled at me many times and in many different ways. Fighting to stand my ground and maintain my freedom is how I learned to understand the Catholic undertow. The insights in this book were learned in the trenches.
[/quote]

Basically make sure you follow the warnings of this verse.

[size=5]Pro 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, [so] a fool returneth to his folly.[/size]

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif[/img]