An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ignore Budge?

Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

Got an idea.

Seems like lately all the action on the boards is with 'Pope' Budge throwing trash talk at us. Nothing but misrepresentations, out of context snippets, unverified quotes, and flat out lies.

It has grown tiring. I miss the days when interreligious dialogue meant exactly that. Don't see that anymore...just anti-catholic rhetoric followed by a mass rush to present the Truth, which is a waste of time IMHO, since he/she won't listen to facts and logic anyway.

So the idea is this....no matter what St. Budge posts for the next 2 weeks...nobody respond. At all. Not even an emote.

Maybe once he/she (still not sure which) learns to debate and dialogue instead of inflame and accuse, we can respond again...as long at it stays civil.

dunno.....whaddy'all think?

Budge - I lub ya, but yer like talking to a stop sign sometimes...if you truly, TRULY want to know what the Church believes and teaches...there are 2 books to read: the Bible and the Catechism.

They've been on ignore for a while now, and I no longer respond to them. I don't understand why everyone keeps indulging them. The debate board has basically been hijacked by them. They are only here to troll.

I actually miss the old days when politics and integrism were the hijack methods of choice.

<_<

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='stbernardLT' post='1059112' date='Sep 8 2006, 02:33 PM']
I hear ya, but at the same time it keeps me fresh on my apologetics. I like the challenge.
[/quote]
i agree.

i like reading the responses to them, but honestly i dont really read what Budge or Eutychus post anyway. all those large fonts and the underlining of text are not appealing to me.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1059113' date='Sep 8 2006, 02:34 PM']
They've been on ignore for a while now, and I no longer respond to them. I don't understand why everyone keeps indulging them. The debate board has basically been hijacked by them. They are only here to troll.

I actually miss the old days when politics and integrism were the hijack methods of choice.

<_<
[/quote]

I agree...

When any good debate actually starts they both quickly change the subject or just flat out leave it.

Era- haha I don't miss the politics! How about the days of Cam educating us all on Mary's sinlessness!

I like underlining and some all caps words. It helps get the point across sometimes, but in my experience, large fonts are used to distract people from other things, rather than bring one's attention to what is being said.

I will continue to debate with them as long as we're both around. It strengthens my debating skills, I'm learning all sorts of good bible quotes, and I HATE it when people have a dislike for something about someone (in this case our Catholocism) that is based upon misunderstanding.

Fides_et_Ratio

no way, the debate board is much more fun with Protestants and anti-catholics... if Budge were gone, you'd all be complaining about how boring the debate board is.

if it's tiring, take a break and pray for Budge (I'm sure she'll appreciate it, and reciprocate the prayers)

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1059128' date='Sep 8 2006, 02:49 PM']no way, the debate board is much more fun with Protestants and anti-catholics... if Budge were gone, you'd all be complaining about how boring the debate board is.

if it's tiring, take a break and pray for Budge (I'm sure she'll appreciate it, and reciprocate the prayers)[/quote]
It's not that it's tiring, I just don't think it's edifying for anyone. It's like watching the WWF to learn about human values. Yah, there's a few lessons in there about fortitude and sportsmanship, but the melodrama is what everyone notices.

We need more people like Jesuspaidtheprice who really want to discuss.

Edited by Era Might

There is a lack of style in Budgies methods that is common to most trolls (and Budgie is certainly a troll and not an actual anti-Catholic) in not responding to all problems posted.

A proper troll will respond to every point, sometimes with nonsense or intentional misinterpretation. The lowest form of response is the insult response, but at least it is some manner or engagement. Given time, Budgie will become a good troll, if she puts her mind to it. Her willingness to find and copy pointless attacks is a form of dedication many trolls don't possess.

She shows certain "frustratingly dense" tactics that work extremely well. Witness our discussion on the Everbody Relax thread about the AP situation. It's textbook intentional misunderstanding. She got me to cut and paste from multiple threads in order to make my point. That's a win for a troll--they do something stupid, you do work to prove them wrong. It's a game. Trolls win, typically, but good trolls do it with style. Budge is almost there, but not quite.

I've talked to my wife about this. Trolls have low standards for victory. You play, they win. But the fact is that someone must in many cases respond for those who only read and don't post, or who, unlike trolls like Budge, take seriously the damage done to a person's faith (and possibly a person's soul) by the comments about Catholicism. Sure, they're dirt dumb to us. They've been toppled countless times, but to a young person, a person in crisis, Budgies infantile tirades have merit and real teeth.

Our victory lies in telling the truth for those people.

cmotherofpirl

Budge and Company will never earn any truth about Catholicism unless the read our boards, because they are certainly never gonna read it on their own.
Think of Apologetic practice as time off from Purgatory :)

May the Holy Spirit soften your hearts and light up your brain cells.
Hail Mary
Our Father
Glory Be
Amen

[quote name='scardella' post='1059188' date='Sep 8 2006, 05:10 PM']Sorta makes you miss that Saddam guy, doesn't it? I forget his name.[/quote]
ROFL. PadreSantiago. I just sat here for 20 minutes trying to remember his name.