An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Frustrating Moment

TheresaMF

[quote name='Jabberwocky' post='1060252' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:28 PM']
This reminds me of a book I bought from some nuns awhile ago. It was a breviary designed for women. Like, there were topics that associated with different life events of women, and then psalms that pertained to it. But the "glory be" was:

"Glory to you Source of all Being, Eternal Word and Holy Spirit."

And I read that and thought :unsure:
[/quote]
I don't know the exact origins of this phrase, but it is usually invoked to aid the listener/proclaimer in better understanding our relationship to/in/with the Triune God. I think it's a lovely ending when used at midday (or other hours) prayer. Though some argue that it muddies the distinction between each of the persons of the Trinity.

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='shortnun' post='1060260' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:43 PM']
I don't know the exact origins of this phrase, but it is usually invoked to aid the listener/proclaimer in better understanding our relationship to/in/with the Triune God. I think it's a lovely ending when used at midday (or other hours) prayer. Though some argue that it muddies the distinction between each of the persons of the Trinity.
[/quote]

Wow, I did not know that. When I was reading, it just kind of threw me off a little. That's rather interesting...

[quote name='shortnun' post='1060260' date='Sep 10 2006, 12:43 PM']
[/quote]

+

It may be something, but it's NOT the "Glory Be". :ohno: There are special graces associated with the Glory Be. I wouldn't mess with it. Especially, when praying the hours :(

[quote name='Veritas' post='1060309' date='Sep 10 2006, 04:13 PM']
+

It may be something, but it's NOT the "Glory Be". :ohno: There are special graces associated with the Glory Be. I wouldn't mess with it. Especially, when praying the hours :(
[/quote]
Correct, while its form follows that of the Glory Be, [u]they are two separate prayers[/u]. But geez whiz, if we never "messed with" prayers (meaning changed them and made new ones), our faith would be composed mostly of silence! :shutup:

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='shortnun' post='1060311' date='Sep 10 2006, 02:22 PM']
Correct, while its form follows that of the Glory Be, [u]they are two separate prayers[/u]. But geez whiz, if we never "messed with" prayers (meaning changed them and made new ones), our faith would be composed mostly of silence! :shutup:
[/quote]

I see what you're saying, my concern was with subsituting the Glory Be during the Hours with something else. Also, I am a little concerned about the titles of that prayer when "feminuns" for example substitute this because it's "gender neutral" -sheesh, give me a brake! Jesus came as a MAN and he calls God FATHER! okay semi-rant over :)

Edited by Veritas

brandelynmarie

[quote name='shortnun' post='1060311' date='Sep 10 2006, 05:22 PM']
[/quote]

I'm guessing Carthusians might like that to happen... :lol: