An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Big Is Olam?

awyers

Anyone have any idea how big OLAM is?? I read that the PCPA's in Ohio (St Joseph Monastery) is building a new monastery around 50,000 square feet and I was just trying to get a visual by comparing it to OLAM. I have no idea how big 50,000 square feet is! :blink:

I know they own 380 acres (that's 16,552,799 square feet). Most of the land is not used though... I believe they bought that much land so that it would NOT be built on, and therefore ruin the atmosphere of the shrine.

And the cloister is 19 acres (827,639 square feet), but I don't know how large the actual monastery or the Shrine is.

Just so you know, I didn't know this off the rop of my head! I looked it up [url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/shrine_guide.htm"]in the Guide to the Shrine[/url] on the webpage. ;)

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1059017' date='Sep 8 2006, 01:42 PM']
50,000 square feet is not large at all.
[/quote]

We were told they are building the St. Joseph Monastery for 25 sisters.

Edited by phatdaddy

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1058851' date='Sep 7 2006, 11:29 PM']
I have no idea how big 50,000 square feet is! :blink:
[/quote]
An American football field without the end zones is 48,000 square feet. Hopefully this helps put things into perspective.

Edited by OLAM Dad

franciscanheart

this is the monastery including outerlying land or no? the monastery by itself? assuming that this will me a two story building (perhaps i assume in ignorance), this doesn't seem to be too large. i know our seminary is fairly well-sized (well the seminary college) but it's by no means HUGE and i would have to say it is definitely larger than 50,000 sq. ft.

Thanks Dad, as a football lover that makes it easier to visualize :)
I think I read that they are building on 150 acres and it looks like it is one storey??

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1059180' date='Sep 8 2006, 05:59 PM']
An American football field without the end zones is 48,000 square feet. Hopefully this helps put things into perspective.
[/quote]

Compared to our monastery, which is known around as "Rosary Shrine" btw, that is HUGE!
We were supposed to have a basilica in honor of our lady of the Rosary with 15 side altars around the main altar and a traditional monastery attached. The crypt was built, the depression came and all work stopped. 12 years later work resumed but the Bishop said that the ENTIRE monastery had to be built on the existing foundation. So, we have a chapel built for 350, a choir built for 50 and living quarters for about 24 comfortably but at our height we crammed 45 nuns in before we made a foundation. The monastery proper is sort of U shaped around the chapel and the choir. The nice thing is that Jesus exposed in the Eucharist is literally the heart and center of the house!
Click[url="http://photos1.blogger.com/img/186/2236/640/monastery%20copy.jpg"] HERE [/url] for an ariel view! Can't you see me waving?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1059292' date='Sep 8 2006, 08:56 PM']
Sister Mary Catharine

If that linked worked I would love to see you waving! Hahaha.
[/quote]

Let's give it another try: it worked originally!
[url="http://photos1.blogger.com/img/186/2236/640/monastery%20copy.jpg"]ariel view[/url]

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1059526' date='Sep 9 2006, 06:32 AM']
Let's give it another try: it worked originally!
[url="http://photos1.blogger.com/img/186/2236/640/monastery%20copy.jpg"]ariel view[/url]
[/quote]

:idontknow: Still doesn't seem to be working :(

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Ok! I give up! Now, I'm going to figure out how to use photobucket!
[img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/smcatharine/monasterycopy.jpg[/img]

The extern chapel is in the "middle" and goes up to where you can see the roof get a bit lower. That's the nun's choir.
To the left of the chapel is the parlor, dormitory, refectory, kitchen, procure. The community room is the back section. The top floor is the novitiate and the bottom floor is the professed. To the right of the chapel is the chapter hall, infirmary, prioress' office, and then the Chaplain's apartment's and porch which are totally separate from the cloister part.

We have more land than this photo shows.

Now can you see me waving? :P:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='passionheart' post='1059619' date='Sep 9 2006, 01:23 PM']
Yes, now I see you.....Say do I not hear the bell ringing??

Time for prayers Sister :D:
[/quote]

The time on this is all wrong! It was about 10:30 when I did that entry!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1059623' date='Sep 9 2006, 01:38 PM']
The time on this is all wrong! It was about 10:30 when I did that entry!
[/quote]
:lol_roll: