An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ann Coulter

catholicinsd

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1063519' date='Sep 15 2006, 01:53 PM']
do you hate her or something? she is having us pay her $30,000 to speak.
[/quote]

That's 30,000 down the gutter.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1063562' date='Sep 15 2006, 12:46 PM']
[/quote]

+

Yes, she'll probably just speak really powerfully and poignantly about pro-life issues in America --can you believe it? What a waste. They should have paid someone to just side-step around the issues and tell us we're all fine. ;)

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1063502' date='Sep 15 2006, 11:30 AM']
Is there going to be pie there?
[/quote]

:ohno: Ann Coulter may be a lot of things you don't agree with, but at least she doesn't resort to physical violence against those she disagrees with. Individuals, who resort to this, only prove they have none of the "tolerance" for which they so generally vehemently argue for and no self control either.

But her replies to some things are just as bad. She spoke at my college and when one of the male students questioned her about her views on something she just called him a "gay boy". She can give a somewhat decent speech, and writes okay, but she can not debate. You're basically paying 30K to hear someone rail on democrats and if that's what you want fine, but it isn't constructive at all because it is just one person's view and she can't persuasively argue. And that's sad because she is smart and went to a great law school so you think she'd understand persuasion, but instead she learned how to cause a ruckous.

[quote name='track2004' post='1063595' date='Sep 15 2006, 01:45 PM']
But her replies to some things are just as bad. She spoke at my college and when one of the male students questioned her about her views on something she just called him a "gay boy". She can give a somewhat decent speech, and writes okay, but she can not debate. You're basically paying 30K to hear someone rail on democrats and if that's what you want fine, but it isn't constructive at all because it is just one person's view and she can't persuasively argue. And that's sad because she is smart and went to a great law school so you think she'd understand persuasion, but instead she learned how to cause a ruckous.
[/quote]

+

I think she can debate, she just doesn't want to bother. I think she's annoyed by the stupidity of others when things appear so clearly to her. In addition, some individuals are so relativistic (the left and parts of the right), there's no basis for debate. Part of her charm is her refusal to be "persuasive". It's not "how" one says things -after all, that can be deceiving- it's "what" one says. The "what" is the crux, the important part. I think she wants the "what" to stand on its own --because in her mind, it CAN.

Furthemore, she may be perfect for a "rally" or meeting. She can get people excited. To be at a pro-life event, an event, which isn't about debate but information and encouragement, I bet she'll be amazing. As far as railing on democrats, I'm sorry, but as long as they support the killing of babies and homosexuality, they've no chance of receiving my vote or support --they deserve to be "railed" on.

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1063596' date='Sep 15 2006, 01:48 PM']
Yes.
[/quote]

:blink:

Everytime I see you post something, especially regarding "hating someone" I do a double take; because, I see St. Therese and so associate her with your words, which are things I couldn't picture her saying, I have to remind myself it's you and not her I'm reading! :lol_roll:

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1063596' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:48 PM']
Yes.
[/quote]
"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1063562' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:46 PM']
[/quote]
The irony of this situation vs. your signature is very amusing :biglol:

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1063627' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:32 PM']
"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."
[/quote]

Amen. Thanks for the reminder ND.

Any lawyer will tell you persuasion is just as much what you say as how you say it. The fact she does not choose to be persuasive just indicates how eletists she is and how stupid she thinks we all are. In her speech she gave good points, but absolutely refused to engage in any dialogue with my classmates (schoolmates whatever). Talking down to democrats and completely wrighting them off as dumb will not win any swing votes and frankly pissed a bunch of republicans off because we know better than to endorse what she did.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1063528' date='Sep 15 2006, 01:58 PM']I knew I liked Ann Coulter when I heard her say (and I paraphrase here), "So what if we ARE going to Iraq for the oil? Where do all these complaining liberal celebrities think the oil for their private jets is coming from?" (Include Kerry/Heinz here)[/quote]
That's the kind of stuff that turns my stomach to mush when I think about the RepubliConserviTian scene in this country.

Reminds me of Mother Teresa asking why a baby has to die for us to live. Why do innocent people have to die so we can have oil?

Those are innocent people dying in Iraq, but they're the butt of jokes and sarcasm? That's like saying so what if 3,000 people died on 9/11, it got Saddam out of power so it stop complaining.

[quote name='track2004' post='1063677' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:11 PM']
Any lawyer will tell you persuasion is just as much what you say as how you say it. The fact she does not choose to be persuasive just indicates how eletists she is and how stupid she thinks we all are. In her speech she gave good points, but absolutely refused to engage in any dialogue with my classmates (schoolmates whatever). Talking down to democrats and completely wrighting them off as dumb will not win any swing votes and frankly pissed a bunch of republicans off because we know better than to endorse what she did.
[/quote]

+

She's definitely elitist.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1063710' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:53 PM']
That's the kind of stuff that turns my stomach to mush when I think about the RepubliConserviTian scene in this country.

Reminds me of Mother Teresa asking why a baby has to die for us to live. Why do innocent people have to die so we can have oil?

Those are innocent people dying in Iraq, but they're the butt of jokes and sarcasm? That's like saying so what if 3,000 people died on 9/11, it got Saddam out of power so it stop complaining.
[/quote]

+

The butt of the joke is rich liberals not Iraqi citizens. I agree, innocent people don't and shouldn't die so we can have oil. If, however, we need to go to war (not involving innocent individuals) to keep evil men from having the oil, that is a different situation. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it might be. Frankly, abortion is such a larger issue as far as human life and morals are concerned than the war in Iraq, that I'm not expending my efforts in debating Iraq. That wasn't the point of my post.

I'm sorry you misunderstood the jest -and point- of my post and quote.

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1063596' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:48 PM']
Yes.
[/quote]

you guys don't understand do you?! this is the DEBATE table!! hello!? you're suppossed to give reasons for your answer...

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1063562' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:46 PM']
[/quote]

and you are just as bad. i don't think the maker of this topic really started it for people like you to make immature comments like that. i mean come on y'all, it's just a political figure we are talking about.....breath! :rolleyes:

now, i don't know enough about ann coulter obviously to figure out why she is upseting a lot of people on the thread. i have read some of her stuff, and she seems to make sence to me!

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1063627' date='Sep 15 2006, 04:34 PM']
[/quote]

thanks tom. :)

[quote name='Veritas' post='1063568' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:04 PM']
+

Yes, she'll probably just speak really powerfully and poignantly about pro-life issues in America --can you believe it? What a waste. They should have paid someone to just side-step around the issues and tell us we're all fine. ;)
[/quote]

haha i like that veritas!! :lol:

[quote name='Veritas' post='1063729' date='Sep 15 2006, 06:05 PM']The butt of the joke is rich liberals not Iraqi citizens. I agree, innocent people don't and shouldn't die so we can have oil. If, however, we need to go to war (not involving innocent individuals) to keep evil men from having the oil, that is a different situation. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it might be. Frankly, abortion is such a larger issue as far as human life and morals are concerned than the war in Iraq, that I'm not expending my efforts in debating Iraq. That wasn't the point of my post.

I'm sorry you misunderstood the jest -and point- of my post and quote.[/quote]
I didn't misunderstand. I just think the "joke" is tasteless and very indicative of what passes for discourse in the land of conservative punditry.

Abortion may be a "larger issue", but your limbs are torn the same way, whether someone drops a bomb on you or someone rips you from your mother's womb. The intention may be different, but the result is the same: innocent people being killed and devastated.