An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hi Budge

scardella

[quote name='Budge' post='1057704' date='Sep 6 2006, 09:18 AM']
Havent you figured out by now, Im not a ecumenist

;)

[/quote]

Hmm ok so we are to take that as what?

You don't believe in the divinity of Christ?
You don't believe in the Trinity?
You don't believe in heaven or hell? (I'll leave purgatory out)

C'mon Budgie. Scardella is trying to offer a sincere basis for dialogue. Your refusal to do so just paints you in a bad light. If you're here to just rage against the Church, that's fine. We'll just ignore you as a troll. But if you want to truly "show us the light", its best to start with common ground.

[quote name='Budge' post='1057704' date='Sep 6 2006, 10:18 AM']
Havent you figured out by now, Im not a ecumenist

;)

Oh come on, so all those Reformers were just blowing smoke out of their ears and got it all wrong?

Ive read the CCC, I know what you just stated is wrong.

[b]1129 The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation. [/b]
[/quote]

If you are not interested in ecumenism, Budge, then why are you here? Isn't this the interreligious dialogue phorum? I've read your posts the past few days, and they all seem mean-spirited, condescending, sarcastic and (at times) rude. If your goal is to convert us or point out the things you feel are wrong with us, why do you feel the need to do so with such vitriol?

A lot of people on here (myself included) are genuinely-interested in hearing/reading what you've got to say. But the aformentioned-attitude you take just makes it more and more difficult to stomach the discussion without wanting to hurl my computer up against the wall and scream.

Oh come on, so all those Reformers were just blowing smoke out of their ears and got it all wrong?

Ive read the CCC, I know what you just stated is wrong.

[b]1129 The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation. [/b]
[/quote]

Oh and btw, are you saying that one of the things you don't share in common with us is baptism?

[quote]Oh and btw, are you saying that one of the things you don't share in common with us is baptism? [/quote]

One more STRAWMAN.

Can't you folks debate without them?

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1057783' date='Sep 6 2006, 11:53 AM']
One more STRAWMAN.

[/quote]

Eutychus

I am now convinced that you don't fully understand the definition of the Strawman Argument.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1057783' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:53 PM']
One more STRAWMAN.

[/quote]
So is there a reason you didn't answer the question.???

Havent you figured out by now, Im not a ecumenist ;)
[/quote]

So... you're saying that the following verses of John's Gospel are wrong? (multiple translations provided)

[quote name='John 17:20-21 NIV']My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.[/quote]

[quote name='John 17:20-21 NKJV']I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.[/quote]

[quote name='John 17:20-21 NAB']I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.[/quote]

[quote name='John 17:20-21 NRSV']I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.[/quote]

Edited by scardella

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Budge' post='1057302' date='Sep 5 2006, 07:54 PM']
Ok Youve read the Bible.

Tell me TWO THINGS you learned from the book of HEBREWS.

Dont cheat now...do this off the top of your head.

:topsy:
[/quote]

Hebrews 2:1 I think?? says that he need to adhere to what we HEAR, making it clear that not all Hristian teaching was written down by the apostles

As well Hebrews spends a great deal talking about Jesus the High Priest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1057795' date='Sep 6 2006, 11:08 AM']
I just saw "The Strawman" with Nicholas Cage... No, wait... "Wickerman"... either way, BAD movie...
[/quote]
aw... I was looking forward to that movie

Oh, and add this: (I'm not going to bother w/ multiple translations)

[quote name='Matthew 12:25 NIV']Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.[/quote]

BTW, that verse is basically the same in Mark 3:24-25 and Luke 11:17.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1057908' date='Sep 6 2006, 02:37 PM']
aw... I was looking forward to that movie
[/quote]
Yeah, sorry man.... :ohno:

[quote name='scardella' post='1057930' date='Sep 6 2006, 02:57 PM']
Oh, and add this: (I'm not going to bother w/ multiple translations)
BTW, that verse is basically the same in Mark 3:24-25 and Luke 11:17.
[/quote]

coulda sworn that was Abe Lincoln who said that.

Maybe Jesus was quoting him