An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ritualism Leads People AWAY from God

Budge

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1056105' date='Sep 3 2006, 02:28 PM']
Budge, as asked by Socrates a while ago and repeated a few times

"Where is this quote taken from, and why should we pay attention to or care about this particular person's opinion?"

Please answer this question as it has been presented to you and ignored.

If you have somehow answered it, I apologize but I haven't seen it.
[/quote]

O_o

GOOGLE it.

You only want me to give the source so you can complain about it.

I want the content of the message dealt with.

It is from a book I own.

[quote name='Budge' post='1056461' date='Sep 4 2006, 10:54 AM']
GOOGLE it.

You only want me to give the source so you can complain about it.

I want the content of the message dealt with.

It is from a book I own.[/quote]Google came up with nothing; otherwise we wouldn't be asking.

Regarding your citation, it is plagiarism to omit credit for text that you did not author. Second, the entire quote is unsubstantiated opinion of the author. There's little (if any) meat to the text you quoted, though posters have already responded and dispelled much of the author's opinion.

If you are ashamed of the authors that you read, just say so.

[quote]
If you are ashamed of the authors that you read, just say so.[/quote]

I want the subject of the thread dealt with==ritualism.

Not the author.

Interesting that Catholic apologists always have to sidetrack from the issue at hand.

[quote name='Budge' post='1056500' date='Sep 4 2006, 12:40 PM']I want the subject of the thread dealt with==ritualism.

Not the author.[/quote]You are plagiarizing someone else's work. Look at the beginning of the book and see if you see a copyright.

[quote]Interesting that Catholic apologists always have to sidetrack from the issue at hand.[/quote]Let me get this straight. We ask for you to cite the author that you quoted. We discussed the topic of rituals in worship for three pages in this thread. And we're "sidetracking" the issue? I think your accusation is a bit disingenuous.

I tried Google before I asked >_<

Like Mateo, I got nothing.

If you feel the author is one that would be decredited if posted, I wonder why you would even post his work.

I also agree with Mateo... There is three pages of discussion. While discussing, numerous people have asked for the source. I don't see how providing it would affect anything. At most, it would help us better understand the quote.

Ritualism leads people away from God????

Monte E. Wilson (Evangelical Christian, bemoans the lack of liturgy in Protestant worship)

Budge, consider the following:
"When your daughter is married, will there be “pomp and circumstance”? Will there be the beauty of flowers and music? Will everyone run down the aisle in shorts and sandals or walk in a manner [i]appropriate to the occasion[/i]? When you baptize (or dedicate) an infant, do you just run through the motions or is there a sense of the weightiness of the moment? On all of these occasions, we act in certain ways because we know there is something going on that demands a [u]reverent demeanor appropriate to the event[/u]. [u]Is church worship any less significant?[/u]"

One cannot help but wonder if the typical [u]evangelical/Budge [/u] [b][i]fear of “forms”—of rituals, ceremonies, art—is due more to a reaction to all things [u]Roman Catholic [/u] [u]than to a desire to obey God[/u][/i][/b]. “If the Roman Catholics do it, then it is evil” quite often appears to be the working definition of the [u]Regulative/Budge [/u] [i][b]Principle! Do they use art? It must be a sin. Do they utilize ceremony? Ceremonies are evil. Do they light candles? Candles are of the devil."
SOURCE: [url="http://www.the-highway.com/church_Wilson.html"]http://www.the-highway.com/church_Wilson.html[/url]

Still waiting for that source Budge

[quote name='SJP' post='1056703' date='Sep 4 2006, 05:06 PM']
Budge, consider the following:
"When your daughter is married, will there be “pomp and circumstance”? Will there be the beauty of flowers and music? [/quote]

You bet!

She'll probably marry a Catholic.

[quote name='Budge' post='1056234' date='Sep 3 2006, 08:21 PM']
Well Pirate Rear Admiral, you dont have to get out your telescope then do ya? Easy to read the threads...

:P:
[/quote]

Honestly I had never thought of that. How courteous of you.

Rear Admiral? What exactly are you insinuating?

[quote]You bet!

She'll probably marry a Catholic.[/quote]

What if she doesnt?

She may even convert and one day become a Christian!

I think Ill pray to God [if you even have a daughter] that she does.

[b]This topic is completely worthless.[/b]

Because, no matter how much you hate ritualisitic worship services you even have them in your churches. If you sing then pray then sing again then have your sermon (<< Being this way every sunday) Then your service is ritual. If your service veries from sunday to sunday and never follows a set structure then you have an argument, other than that your stance on this issue is worthless, because you cant even escape this.

Edited by Convert4888