An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two orders

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1052906' date='Aug 29 2006, 02:36 PM']
well, you cant always judge a book by the cover, I was wondering if anyone had some hard facts about them, other then the stuff on the website.
[/quote]
Thank you for coming into this with an investigative mind. I personally appreciate it, and I think your attitude is in light with our charitable approach and commentary about religious communities that we strive to achieve here on Phatmass (the Vocation Station in particular).

The Adrian Dominicans are the largest congregation of Dominican women in the US. At their largest I believe they were over 3000 and are currently over 900. I currently attend classes with their three novices while they're studying at the Collaborative Dominican Novitiate. (And I've had classes with others of them before, as well.) I've also been taught at a graduate level by an Adrian Dominican (who happens to have been former prioress of the community in Siena Heights). And know have a number of close friends (men and women) who are Adrian Associates.

[b]My experience with these sisters is in no way applicable to each and every Adrian Dominican woman. But it is from these encounters that I have critically reflected and come up with the following conclusions. Again, I speak only from my experience, and critical reflection.[/b]

[i]The Adrian Dominicans are in communion with Rome.[/i] I admire your desire to know more about these communities. And Phatmass is a [u]wealth[/u] of knowledge when it comes to information about communities. But hearsay and reflections (even the one I'm sharing with you all now) will [u]never[/u] be as valuable as if you were able to call a community, or meet some of their members.

In response to zunshynn's comments about some sisters not wanting to go to Mass on Sundays, I would just offer the helpful reminder that sisters (and other religious) are not the only demographic of the Church body who do not feel a need to attend Mass (or pray, or participate in the sacramental life of the Church). And I have my own theories on why I think this attitude is prevalent, as I'm sure you do as well.

*clink, clink* <--------- my two cents

[quote name='shortnun' post='1053223' date='Aug 29 2006, 07:04 PM']

In response to zunshynn's comments about some sisters not wanting to go to Mass on Sundays, I would just offer the helpful reminder that sisters (and other religious) are not the only demographic of the Church body who do not feel a need to attend Mass (or pray, or participate in the sacramental life of the Church).

[/quote]

Good point—unfortunately. :(

Though I should clarify I don't know anything about this particular congregation not going to Mass, unless the sister I read about in For the Love of God was an Adrian Dominican... but I don't recall her order.

Edited by zunshynn

Like a Child

The Adrian Dominicans and the Erie Benedictines are awesome! Both congregations are full of women who are in love with God and dedicated to Christ. They do incredible work. . .and our world would be worse off without them.

I wanted to mention, too, that the VAST majority of sisters today do NOT wear a traditional habit. (The number, I believe, is somewhere around 90%). This does not make them any less loyal to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Also, did you know that it's okay to recognize that God is not a man? God is so far above gender!!!! So, of course, many sisters (and other Christians!) prefer to call upon God in non-patriarchal terms.

Also, unlike many church leaders who have come after Him, Jesus was not a sexist. He accepted women in a way that no man ever did before. He was FRIENDS with all sorts of women, including those who were considered unclean, and he had many women followers (Mark 15:40-41, Luke 7:36-50, Luke 8:2-3, John 11:5, John 20:11-18.) He loved women who church leaders today, and who religious leaders back then, would have rejected. He told Mary of Bethany, who chose to sit at his feet as a disciple instead of leaving that to the men and helping Martha with domestic chores, that she had made the right decision (Luke 10:38-42). He was RADICALLY INCLUSIVE when it came to women. Supporting women's ordination may not "jive" with official Church doctrine, but it does "jive" with the spirit of the teachings our Lord meant to impart.

I don't mean to be rude. . .and I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Also --(DISCLAIMER)-- I don't know if the Adrian Dominicans or the Erie Benedictines would agree with what I have written above. But I do know that MANY Catholics and MANY sisters DO believe thus. They are doing Christ's work in the world (and many, like me, still NEED and LOVE the Mass). . .and they shouldn't be written off just because they do not believe exactly as most phat-massers do.

By the way. . .the book alluded to above, I believe, is "Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns," by Cheryl L. Reed.

Peace,
Like a Child