An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two orders

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling

Can anyone tell me where these two groups stand with the church? I ask only because of some rumors I've heard, nut I want to know if anyone knows for sure.
[url="http://admc-op.org"]The Adrian sisters[/url]
[url="http://eriebenedictines.org"]Sisters of Erie[/url]

HeavenlyCalling

well, you cant always judge a book by the cover, I was wondering if anyone had some hard facts about them, other then the stuff on the website.

You know it seems I have heard that the Dominicans of Adrian are a good order... but as a rule I would say that orders that don't wear a habit should be avoided.

The Church DOES call for a habit, so if an order doesn't at all, they aren't in complete accord with the Church. And aside from that, not wearing a habit USUALLY is a sign that they disagree with the magisterium on even more important matters of faith (such as "women's ordination," the masculinity of God, infallibility, etc.) which of course is completely unacceptable.

Edited by zunshynn

puellapaschalis

The Erie Sisters are probably most (in)famous for Sr. Joan Chittister, who has written and spoken contrary to Church teaching on such issues as women's "ordination". When the Holy See asked Sr. Joan's superior to deny her permission to travel to a pro-women's-ordination conference, the superior (forgive me, I forget her name) declined, quoting (erroneously, I believe) Benedict's Rule.

That's all I know in response to your question. They are a fairly large community, though, with an active Oblate structure in place.

Love and prayers,

PP

Some Adrian Dominican sisters refuse to go to Mass, even on Sundays.

Several were interviewed for a book on religious life published last year, or late 2004. I can't remember... I'll post a link or an excerpt or something if I can find one.

HeavenlyCalling

PLEASE DO, if you can find it. How can you be a nun and not go to church? Doesn't the supierer say something to them?

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1052972' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:48 PM']
PLEASE DO, if you can find it. How can you be a nun and not go to church? Doesn't the supierer say something to them?
[/quote]

They would if they had a problem with it. Unfortunately some don't. I've heard about nuns that don't feel a need to go to Mass at all... :ohno: I think I know the book you're talking about Brendan... is it "Unveiled". Actually that's not the one I'm thinking of. I can't remember the title, but it has a clip-art sort of picture of a nun on the front with a blue background...

HeavenlyCalling

Then they aren't really nuns, and some one ( like a bishop or cardinal) should tell them that in no uncertian terms. Is there an artical I can read, as I dont have acess to the book?

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1052983' date='Aug 29 2006, 02:02 PM']
Then they aren't really nuns, and some one ( like a bishop or cardinal) should tell them that in no uncertian terms. Is there an artical I can read, as I dont have acess to the book?
[/quote]

Well, really, by virtue of their vows, they are still nuns even though they have not been faithful to them...

VeniteAdoremus

[quote]
Well, really, by virtue of their vows, they are still nuns even though they have not been faithful to them...
[/quote]

Doesn't that stop somewhere? How un-consecrated must you act before your vows "sizzle"? Do they only when you do things which are punished by excommunication, or are there other criteria?

It's slightly off-topic, sorry. But this got me wondering.

be_thou_my_vision

The book is called "For the Love of God: Faith and Future of the American Nun." I read it, but honestly I don't remeber much from it.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1053042' date='Aug 30 2006, 12:37 AM']
Doesn't that stop somewhere? How un-consecrated must you act before your vows "sizzle"? Do they only when you do things which are punished by excommunication, or are there other criteria?

It's slightly off-topic, sorry. But this got me wondering.
[/quote]

Hm. Well, Ordination vows are for life, Baptismal vows (esp when reinforced at Confirmation) are for life, Marriage vows are for as long as both husband and wife are alive. But they're all sacraments.

However, vows to the consecrated life are a deepening of the Baptismal vows, so perhaps they come under that. But then I'm sure we all know people who have left religious life and "unknitted" the vows. So my conclusion is...I don't know.

Any canon lawyers or generic experts on here?

Love and prayers,

PP

Well the Church has to officially acknowledge that you're renouncing your vows or whatever and in a sense "un-bind" the vow I think. At least that's what happened when my grandfather's sister left religious life after she'd already been professed.