An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you support the Inquisition?

Resurrexi

Do you support the Inquisition?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1055574' date='Sep 2 2006, 07:25 AM']
um... Ruso... I think it was well understood that the 70% from the poll support the 'old' Inquisition. Also, for all those who were saying that I'm an idiot, radical wierdo &c. I think you should really see that you should look at what the Church actually teaches.
[/quote]
Exact, you knows what you teach it church today in I gave,
J. P. II I do not teach anything?.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1055580' date='Sep 2 2006, 07:37 AM']
I support the old inquisition. there is logic for supporting it then, and not supporting it now. the inquisition would do nothing but harm if it existed today.
The inquistion (back in the day) protected people's souls against heresy (the equivalent of spiritual murder). so Since everyone was catholic the need was much greater to protect all these souls from being spiritually murdered. Since many people are not catholic, the need is not so great today.
[/quote]
You support the old wars among Christians?

[quote]The inquistion (back in the day) protected people's souls against heresy (the equivalent of spiritual murder). so Since everyone was catholic the need was much greater to protect all these souls from being spiritually murdered. Since many people are not catholic, the need is not so great today.[/quote]

Did you read the scripture I posted?

Apostles ask Jesus if they all can call down fire on those who refuse the gospel.

Jesus rebukes them saying ye dont know what spirit you are of {Satan's}

and you defend this?

The inquisition murdered people who believed differently, thats it.

I support the Inquisition, but only if I can torture people I disagree with.... :D:

It's not that I'm by nature a cruel and heartless individual, but sometimes people just get stupid notions into their heads, and like President Bush once said, "A show of force can really help to clarify things, you know."

Seriously, though, I do support the stated aims of the Inquisition, namely, to eradicate heresy and propagate the true faith, but this should be done by genuinely biblical methods, such as preaching, evangelization, debate, and personal witness.

As our country is slowly learning in places like Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, people will say almost anything to alleviate the pain when they're being tortured.

Imagine, if you're a perfectly orthodox and devout Catholic, yet you're accused of heresy by somebody who probably has less than honorable motives. So, you're imprisoned, separated from your wife and kids, and strung up on the rack for hours at a time until you're screaming in agony. You might maintain your innocence for a while, but eventually you will probably break down and confess your guilt.

Let's say you were guilty, and you believed in the doctrines of the Manichees, for instance. If you were tortured long enough, why wouldn't you just admit that you were wrong, recant, and be done with it? But, would that kind of violence make you genuinely repent of your errors, or it would it harden your already negative attitudes and perceptions of the Catholic Church as a worldly and corrupt power that was manifestly not the true church of Jesus Christ?

The practice of torture, then, is likely to produce false confessions, which in turn will likely produce fear, suspicion, and hypocrisy in the masses, rather than genuine conversions or love of God.

So, I'd conclude, the Inquisition's aims were noble and high-minded enough, but the methods resorted to were not adequate to produce the intended results. The real tragedy is perhaps that methods used by the Inquisitors had the effect of casting the whole project of eradicating heresy and propagating the true faith into a negative light.

[quote]
Imagine, if you're a perfectly orthodox and devout Catholic, yet you're accused of heresy by somebody who probably has less than honorable motives. So, you're imprisoned, separated from your wife and kids, and strung up on the rack for hours at a time until you're screaming in agony. You might maintain your innocence for a while, but eventually you will probably break down and confess your guilt.[/quote]

how many actual CATHOLICS died at the hands of the Inquisition? It is known that if you were wealthy, and even if a devout CATHOLIC, you were in danger from being accused of being a "heretic" so your lands and money could be seized.

as Ive said before on here, Rome is willing to sacrifice even YOU....for their power and goals.

AlterDominicus

I honestly dont give a care about the Inquisition, I am willing to take on anything to defend the truth and spread it, like Saint Theresa of Avila said, "I am my own inquisitor."

Honestly, "You can cheat us your brothers and sisters, but you cannot cheat yourself or God."

If they think the truth is burning books made by people such as priests who know the truth and were educated in the truth and Word of God - they lost their mind.

Gah, sorry...a little out of my mind as well. :lol:

[quote]I honestly dont give a care about the Inquisition,[/quote]

"I dont care" isnt much of an answer.

Seems rather callous and cold.

People are DYING now because there are folks following the spirit of the inquisitions...{Christians in China}

Do you care about them?

Every time church and state marries, it is a BAD IDEA.

Justified Saint

[quote name='kdewolf2' post='1056092' date='Sep 3 2006, 12:59 PM']

The practice of torture, then, is likely to produce false confessions, which in turn will likely produce fear, suspicion, and hypocrisy in the masses, rather than genuine conversions or love of God.

[/quote]

However, confessions given under torture were only valid if they were later confirmed. Thus there were false confessions and they were often revealed as such. Furthermore, the use of torture tended to be rather rare in comparison to what is commonly portrayed, so I don't think torture necessarily had the kind of effect on society that you think it did. In Spain, for example, the Inquisition was pretty popular and for most of its history its victims were those who would be considered on the fringe of society ("crypto" Jews, Muslims, widows, shepherds etc).

[quote]. In Spain, for example, the Inquisition was pretty popular and for most of its history its victims were those who would be considered on the fringe of society ("crypto" Jews, Muslims, widows, shepherds etc).[/quote]

Of course it was "popular", you had better say you like it else youd be put in the dungeons with the rest of those "fringe dwellers". Sheesh.

You know the true coldness in Catholic shines through on Inquisition threads, when you have people who should know better, defending this wickedness.

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1056838' date='Sep 5 2006, 03:34 AM']
However, confessions given under torture were only valid if they were later confirmed. Thus there were false confessions and they were often revealed as such. Furthermore, the use of torture tended to be rather rare in comparison to what is commonly portrayed, so I don't think torture necessarily had the kind of effect on society that you think it did. In Spain, for example, the Inquisition was pretty popular and for most of its history its victims were those who would be considered on the fringe of society ("crypto" Jews, Muslims, widows, shepherds etc).
[/quote]
Was not so "popular", many people has an atrocious fear to appear before her, at times years to your liberation spent. A mariner that travel with Colon to America, began to smoke in the street when the tobacco was a stranger in Europe and he was arrested, when they freed it, many people smoked. Fray Luis de Leon, a great wise Catholic was arrested acused of heresie, by the slowness of the inquisition was 5 years in prison.

Justified Saint

[quote name='Budge' post='1056840' date='Sep 4 2006, 06:50 PM']
Of course it was "popular", you had better say you like it else youd be put in the dungeons with the rest of those "fringe dwellers".
[/quote]

The Inquisition was popular because of its spectacle nature. It was also in some ways a form of Spanish pride and elitism.

That it was popular because people were forced to think it so is just a silly and thoughtless idea.

[quote]The Inquisition was popular because of its spectacle nature[/quote]

Yes, I know people used to go watch burnings, like people go to sports matches today.

Does this defend the fact that over 70% of this board, are defending the Inquisition...

No.

Justified Saint

[quote name='Budge' post='1057055' date='Sep 5 2006, 09:29 AM']
Yes, I know people used to go watch burnings, like people go to sports matches today.

Does this defend the fact that over 70% of this board, are defending the Inquisition...

No.
[/quote]

Who said I was defending anything? Just making some historical observations. You can make of them what you will, but I have noticed that the historical facts might as well mean just about anything (i.e. meaningless) so long as you can twist them one way or another.

so do you support the Inquisition or not?

Yes or No?

Over 70% of your board mates do even as desperate as you are to deflect from that fact.