An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you support the Inquisition?

Resurrexi

Do you support the Inquisition?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i support it yes. but i do not support everything done by it. Like i support the crusades, but not everything that was done during the crusades.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1051751' date='Aug 27 2006, 07:19 PM']
What's to support?
[/quote]

Lol same here. What is to support? Granted, alot of people don't know the entire truth behind the Inquisition, but in that case, you need to state your view of what happened or what to support. Have a blessed night.

thessalonian

A modern day inquisition would have a different face I think. But some form of inquisition is acceptable to root out heresy in the Church in my view. As was said above I do not support all that went on in the inquistions but the general principal is not all bad.

thessalonian

I sometimes think an old fashioned barbeque is in order. :). Today the laws of the state have no bite so perhaps that is why there is no inquisition. It would not motivate possible recanting of the error.

Edited by thessalonian

StThomasMore that doesn't make any sense. One can't "support" the Inquisition because it's over and has been over for sometime. Go read a history book. To support something is to lend it your approval and hope for it to be prolonged. You can't prolong something that's already stopped. The Inquisition is historical... it is what it is.

You're obviously hoping we'll slip and say something stupid... so just cut to the chase and tell us what you're looking for. So if you mean do we think there should be another inquisition then just spit it out.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052410' date='Aug 28 2006, 08:00 PM']
StThomasMore that doesn't make any sense. One can't "support" the Inquisition because it's over and has been over for sometime. Go read a history book. To support something is to lend it your approval and hope for it to be prolonged. You can't prolong something that's already stopped. The Inquisition is historical... it is what it is.

You're obviously hoping we'll slip and say something stupid... so just cut to the chase and tell us what you're looking for. So if you mean do we think there should be another inquisition then just spit it out.
[/quote]

What more can we say?

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052410' date='Aug 28 2006, 09:00 PM']

[/quote]
sure you can. if your history prof brings it up are you going to defend it, or agree with him? :cool:

He didn't ask us if we would defend it, he asked if we supported it.

It's the difference between asking if it happened or if it should have happened, which is a big difference.

If my history professor "brings it up" in the sense of saying it didn't happen or is still happening I would probably tell him he was an idiot and leave. If he "brings it up" in the sense of speculating if i was good or bad I would probably say an inquisition in and of itself is not necessarily bad, however most of the activities that took place in 'The Inquisition' were not things to be defended.

StThomasMore's question as such is a stupid one, and I think he knows that.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052610' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:20 AM']
He didn't ask us if we would defend it, he asked if we supported it.

It's the difference between asking if it happened or if it should have happened, which is a big difference.

If my history professor "brings it up" in the sense of saying it didn't happen or is still happening I would probably tell him he was an idiot and leave. If he "brings it up" in the sense of speculating if i was good or bad I would probably say an inquisition in and of itself is not necessarily bad, however most of the activities that took place in 'The Inquisition' were not things to be defended.

StThomasMore's question as such is a stupid one, and I think he knows that.
[/quote]

Hey, we need to keep it civil here. He has yet to clarify the intention of the poll, so until then, lay off the guy, ok? Oh, and if your history professor brings it up, why leave? I don't know your age, but calling your professor an idiot and walking out is the death penalty for college classes these days. Get real.

you yourself just proved that his question is a valid one "It's the difference between asking if it happened or if it should have happened, which is a big difference. "

CLEARLY, this question is asking if it should have happened. You can support things in history, you can condemn things in history. History is a fun topic like that.

People still ask if you support the decision to go into Iraq... well, that's history right? Nothing we can do about it now... but you can still say "I support the decision to go into Iraq" or "I don't support the decision to go into Iraq"

so maybe he should have used the past tense to be clearer. give him a break, reasonable people can understand what the question means.