I was wondering what religious rules exist
I know there is:

* Rule of St Benedict
* Rule of St Augustine
* Poor Clare
* Franciscan
* Rule of St Basil
* Rule of St Albert

anymore or anywhere one can get info on more?

I am pretty sure you are correct. The Fourth Lateran Council decreed that there be no new "Rules"

Canon 13 forbids the establishment of new religious orders, lest too great diversity bring confusion into the Church. hence there is no Rule of St Dominic.

Religious orders are supposed to base their [b]constitutions [/b]on the existing Rules

[quote name='cappie' post='1050864' date='Aug 26 2006, 02:17 AM']
I am pretty sure you are correct. The Fourth Lateran Council decreed that there be no new "Rules"

Canon 13 forbids the establishment of new religious orders, lest too great diversity bring confusion into the Church. hence there is no Rule of St Dominic.

Religious orders are supposed to base their [b]constitutions [/b]on the existing Rules
[/quote]

Very interesting question and response.

Where do the Salesians fit in? In my mind, there is also the rule of St. Francis deSales. Correct?

puellapaschalis

A voice in my head was telling me that St. Basil wrote two rules, the Greater and the Lesser, but [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02322a.htm"]a helpful Catholic Encyclopaedia article[/url] cleard up that confusion for me :)

St. Benedict's Rule is, especially in the early chapters, based upon [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_the_Master"]the Rule of the Master[/url], an anonymous Rule which is no longer in use. Most references to RM are in RM-RB comparison articles.

Love and prayers,

PP

There's also the Rule of St. Columba.

Salesians follow the Rule of St. Augustine, but St. Francis de Sales wrote the "Spiritual Directory" which is their "rule." The Oblates of SFdS also have "statutes," and it took nearly 20 years for Rome to approve them after VatII.

No new "orders" means orders with the structure of the Norbertines, Dominicans, etc., which have the First Order (priests/brothers); Second Order (cloistered nuns); and Third Orders ("regular"--sisters/"secular"--lay associates).

The Holy Ghost is going to breathe where He will. The proliferation of religious "orders" (being used as a "generic" term here) is going to happen in response to the world's needs.

The Pink Sisters are actually the third branch of the religious congregation founded by St. Arnold Janssen. I forget what the Fathers/brothers are called, but the second branch are the Sister Servants of the Holy Ghost (they wore blue), with the Pink Sisters being founded third to support the active branches with their prayers.

It is confusing. That's one reason why I started the founders' forum--to talk all this out for greater understanding.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Veritas' post='1050865' date='Aug 26 2006, 03:22 AM']
Very interesting question and response.

Where do the Salesians fit in? In my mind, there is also the rule of St. Francis deSales. Correct?
[/quote]

That was the exact question I was going to ask! I should definately know the answer to that, spending 13 years with them you'd think I would know! thanks for the question, becasue as I looked through the list of rules, I thought to myself- where are my Salesians?!

:)

There is also the Rule of Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity.

[b][url="http://www.msbt.org/docs.htm"]MSBT Rule[/url][/b]- approved in 1985, and there is a link to read their rule.

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1050956' date='Aug 26 2006, 12:36 PM']
Rule of Carmel?
[/quote]

That's the Rule of St. Albert.

Blessings,
Gemma

AlterDominicus

My curiousity is does EVERY Dominican community HAVE to follow the Rule of Saint Augustine. I mean, constitutions are and can be entirely differernt.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1051185' date='Aug 26 2006, 08:53 PM']
My curiousity is does EVERY Dominican community HAVE to follow the Rule of Saint Augustine. I mean, constitutions are and can be entirely differernt.
[/quote]

To be part of the Dominican order, they have to follow the Rule of St. Augustine. The constitutions are that congregation's interpretation of the Augustinian rule. Yes, they can be different, but all expound on the points of the Augustinian rule.

Blessings,
Gemma

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Gemma' post='1051207' date='Aug 26 2006, 08:39 PM']
To be part of the Dominican order, they have to follow the Rule of St. Augustine. The constitutions are that congregation's interpretation of the Augustinian rule. Yes, they can be different, but all expound on the points of the Augustinian rule.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
[b][url="http://www.op.org/international/english/Documents/general_docs/augustin.htm"]Rule of St. Augustine[/url][/b]

• 1 month later...
philosophette

[quote name='Handmaid524' post='1050922' date='Aug 26 2006, 08:44 AM']
That was the exact question I was going to ask! I should definately know the answer to that, spending 13 years with them you'd think I would know! thanks for the question, becasue as I looked through the list of rules, I thought to myself- where are my Salesians?!

:)
[/quote]

Don Bosco tried to get the rule from the Augustinians, but they did let him have them at first. Then the Rosminians let him borrow theirs.

Don Bosco was a 3rd Order Franciscan, btw. :-) :saint: