An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just something interesting.

uruviel

[quote name='WillT' post='1053196' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:14 PM']
Well, it seems like I should have clarified my position. I know the the answer is "no" (in fact I read the whole earlier thread the first time it was active), I was just arguing from a human perspective, not God's. I wasn't trying to place God under the limits of time, either, but again humans are under time limitations.
OK, now I'm really confused. I thought you said earlier that God would not contradict reality, but now you're saying He's not bound by reality? Can you please clarify your thoughts for me? I have a cold and I'm probably not following you.
[/quote]

Ok, so I get what your saying. Your right. I'm so sorry for doing this allot, I always do this. Early in the conversation I will have one point, and then I will, later, say something different. It's because my opinons can sometimes change, making the first opinion very weak, and now that I've made my mind up this is my final opinion. The thing is I just fail to mention when I DO 'change my mind' .

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1053205' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:33 PM']
God is reality. God contradicting reality is like God contradicting God: IMPOSIBLE I SAY!
[/quote]

ok, so not REALITY . poor choice of words on my part. God is reality, that IS like God contradicting Himself. What I'm saying is not nessacarily 'reality' I don't know what you call it. But God can make an object with 3 corners have 5 or 6 or 7 corners at the same time. Like the Blessed Trinity. lol. The Blessed Trinity, you could say, contradicts our sense of reality. We are weak & limited and obviously can't understand the mystery of the trinity. Same as if God did the corners thing we couldn't understand it. So, do I call that reality? I don't know.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1053095' date='Aug 29 2006, 05:19 PM']
no one said that God could not make something be both, at the same time, a triangle and a sqare. God could certainly do that.
[/quote]
Could God make a typo?

Good question. Thank you for pointing out his error for that matter. I doubt it needed attention drawn to it.

If you can only read english spelled with typo's then if God is speaking to you through letters then He would spell with typo's.

Edited by uruviel

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1053205' date='Aug 29 2006, 07:33 PM']
God is reality. God contradicting reality is like God contradicting God: IMPOSIBLE I SAY!
[/quote]
Agreed!

[quote name='uruviel' post='1053227' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:13 PM']
Ok, so I get what your saying. Your right. I'm so sorry for doing this allot, I always do this. Early in the conversation I will have one point, and then I will, later, say something different. It's because my opinons can sometimes change, making the first opinion very weak, and now that I've made my mind up this is my final opinion. The thing is I just fail to mention when I DO 'change my mind' . [/quote]
No problem.

[quote name='uruviel' post='1053227' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:13 PM']ok, so not REALITY . poor choice of words on my part. God is reality, that IS like God contradicting Himself. What I'm saying is not nessacarily 'reality' I don't know what you call it. But God can make an object with 3 corners have 5 or 6 or 7 corners at the same time. Like the Blessed Trinity. lol. The Blessed Trinity, you could say, contradicts our sense of reality. We are weak & limited and obviously can't understand the mystery of the trinity. Same as if God did the corners thing we couldn't understand it. So, do I call that reality? I don't know.
[/quote]

Interesting. I think this goes back to my earlier question about how you are defining reality. If your definition of reality is "human reality" then all the things I mentioned earlier (Virgin Birth etc.) would be "outside of reality." If, however, your definition of reaality is "God's reality" then all of those things are in fact "within reality!" This by itself would be a paradox because something can't be both "within reality" and "outside of reality" at the same time and I think that's the confusion you're feeling here of what to call "reality".

I would say that "God's reality" is the true reality and that "human reality" is only our attempt to make sense of things. Virgin births are not within human reality because it doesn't make sense to us, we can't understand it. God, however, understands it perfectly and has blessed us with his revelations concerning the nature of the Virgin Birth of Christ. In other words, no knowlidge we have about about the Virgin Birth is first hand. We didn't "figure it out", God revealed it to us. In a similar way, God reveals how three divine persons can be one God and all the other mysteries of our faith.
[quote name='XIX' post='1053236' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:50 PM']
Could God make a typo?
[/quote]
No. A typo, by definition, is a mistake. An all perfect being would no longer be all perfect if He made a typo. Also, if God were to purposefully make a typo, it would NOT be a typo because He did it on purpose, which violates the definition of typo! Furthermore, a typo is not an act of the will. When someone makes a typo, they will to use the correct spelling, but imperfectly act upon that will by typing something other than what they willed to type.

[quote]I would say that "God's reality" is the true reality and that "human reality" is only our attempt to make sense of things. Virgin births are not within human reality because it doesn't make sense to us, we can't understand it. God, however, understands it perfectly and has blessed us with his revelations concerning the nature of the Virgin Birth of Christ. In other words, no knowlidge we have about about the Virgin Birth is first hand. We didn't "figure it out", God revealed it to us. In a similar way, God reveals how three divine persons can be one God and all the other mysteries of our faith.[/quote]

ok. I get it. I was meaning, Our reality. Since ours is so limited, and so weak.

and the typo thing, is a typo a mistake, or is a typo just spelling something wrong? According to the english language.