An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some news...

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

It is with a joyful and humble heart that I announce to you this day, on the memorial of the Queenship of Mary, the decision to pursue a vocation to the religious life as a sister - currently with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. Today marks four months of active discernment following an almost indescribable experience in which I 'just knew' God was calling me to Himself in this most intimate way.

I first felt the 'tug', as it is so affectionately called, around the age of twelve. After being 'outed' before I was ready, I quickly forgot the whole idea and pursued everything except the religious life. I rarely looked back though the thought never really did leave me. In April of this year (April 22 to be exact), at a Youth 2000 Mass, during the consecration, I felt the tug again, only in a much more profound way. This time, it was not a gentle nudge in His direction. It was a quiet whisper in my heart much like ones I had experienced before in my lifetime on a much smaller scale. I 'just knew'. It seemed to be the theme for vocations that weekend - 'just know'ing that is. I was in complete awe. In that moment I felt probably twenty different emotions. All I could bring myself to do was praise and thank Him. What a beautiful gift He was giving me!

After Mass I said the Liturgy of the Hours with the brothers again, talked with a friar about it, and then attended the vocation talk. I spoke extensively with Sister Mary Paul Haas of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth (Irving, TX) afterward and was really excited. She was excited for me as well. She was definitely very supportive and encouraging, listening patiently and affirming many aspects of my life and my personality. I finished out the night with Adoration (and the procession). It was beautiful and I am just as excited today (for the most part) as I was then. It is an interesting journey to be sure and I am enjoying every minute of it - the trials included.

Since then I have attended the Vocation Awareness Program hosted by my diocese (as well as the diocese of Forth Worth) and sponsored by the Young Serrans. It wasn't the best retreat in what it physically provided but it was a seemingly perfect balance of solitude and socialization - and I was thankful for it. I was able to get to know an aquintance of mine in a very unique way and that was great. We have really bonded a lot over that weekend and the things we took away from it. I also spoke with many religious about the religious life and about my vocation specifically. They have all been very affirming for me.

Well, it looks as though this post has turned into a long one. I certainly did not mean for it to be. If you've read to the end, I apologize and thank you at the same time.

Please keep me in your prayers. I definitely need them!

May God bless each of you abundantly now and always!

franciscanheart

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1047922' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:59 AM']
Wonderful! Congratulations! When do you enter?

Prayers.
[/quote]
I'm not that far along in the process. :blush: I haven't even gotten a chance to visit yet. I hope to visit sometime this fall, though. You have to be 21 to enter and I turn 20 in December. I still have some time. ^_^

[quote name='TrueImage' post='1047930' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:07 AM']
Congrats, my maybe (???) future sister.
[/quote]
Thanks. :love:

Huey,

The "tug" you refer to is also present when you've met your "earthly" spouse (husband or wife). I experienced the 'soul tug' in our church parking lot when I saw hubby, and 'just knew.' You've heard songs like "You're too good to be true"--well, it's the truth.

Just fly on the wings of the Holy Ghost and let him command your life from here on out.

Blessings,
Gemma

Laura,

:yahoo:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As happy as I am for you I'm even more happy for the church (and that includes me! :)). We need great religious and I have no doubt that should your discernement process lead to you to entering a religious community that you'll be a fabulous sister.

I guess now we'll see you around the Vocation Station even more??? :D:

passionheart

Wonderful!!!!! :D:

I will add your discernment in my prayers. After all Holy Father St. Francis is part of the Dominican Litany!!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

YAY! My comments lay in Open Mic, but many prayers for you and many blessings on this journey!

Lol, my story is similiar in that it seems like God the Father got down on all fours behind me, Jesus pushed me in the right direction, and the Holy Spirit caught me. :)

Congrats, I'm really excited for you! Keep us informed, and I'll pray for you at morning offering tomorrow!

franciscanheart

Thanks, y'all. :love: It'll be nice to not worry about tip-toeing around and watching what I say. :blush:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1048186' date='Aug 22 2006, 04:29 PM']
Laura,

:yahoo:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As happy as I am for you I'm even more happy for the church (and that includes me! :)). We need great religious and I have no doubt that should your discernement process lead to you to entering a religious community that you'll be a fabulous sister.

I guess now we'll see you around the Vocation Station even more??? :D:
[/quote]
:D: I think that'd be a pretty accurate guess. -- Can I also just say that I love how you do not assume that just because I am discerning that I will definitely end up joining a religious community? (I just did.) That is precisely the kind of support I love. It's the most understanding and loving support anyone can give. Thanks. :love:

brandelynmarie
:yahoo: That Dominican Litany is sure getting alot of usage! :lol_roll: I'm trying to keep track of names & communities as well as any personal intentions...This is wonderful news... Edited by brandelynmarie